Changing tire size - Danger?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Joe Caltagirone, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. I am riding a pair of Rolf Vector wheels (not comp or pro). They came with 700x25c tires (IRC red
    storm). I'd like to get a pair of Michellan Pro Race but all I can find on the web 700x23c. Can I
    use a 23c tire on that Rolf Vector wheel that origonally came with a 25c? I'd like to ride with
    confidence and be sure about the fit.

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Thx

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    No problem. 25's might be a nicer ride, depending on the kind of riding you do, but 23's will work
    no problem. The wider the tire, generally, the smoother the ride. But, it's up to you.

    Cheers!

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am riding a pair of Rolf Vector wheels (not comp or pro). They came with 700x25c tires (IRC red
    > storm). I'd like to get a pair of Michellan Pro Race but all I can find on the web 700x23c.
    Can
    > I use a 23c tire on that Rolf Vector wheel that origonally came with a
    25c?
    > I'd like to ride with confidence and be sure about the fit.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thx

  3. Scott,

    I've road the 700x25c for 2 years... never road a 23c...

    Have you road both? Noticeable difference?

    Thanks, Joe

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No problem. 25's might be a nicer ride, depending on the kind of riding
    you
    > do, but 23's will work no problem. The wider the tire, generally, the smoother the ride. But, it's
    > up to you.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Scott..
    > --
    > Scott Anderson
    >

    > "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am riding a pair of Rolf Vector wheels (not comp or pro). They came with 700x25c tires (IRC
    > > red storm). I'd like to get a pair of Michellan Pro Race but all I can find on the web 700x23c.
    > Can
    > > I use a 23c tire on that Rolf Vector wheel that origonally came with a
    > 25c?
    > > I'd like to ride with confidence and be sure about the fit.
    > >
    > > Any comments would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thx

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I've road the 700x25c for 2 years... never road a 23c... Have you road both? Noticeable
    > difference?

    23's have to be pumped up a little harder and have a harsher ride. Not too bad but the change from
    23 to 20 is a HUGE change and riding 20's are like being on an iron wheel.

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I've ridden everything from 38's down to 18's. I'd agree with Tom for the most part. Personally, my
    concern is primarily with longevity and comfort. I personally like 25's and 28's. They're still fast
    enough and they're much more comfortable. 28's are sometimes hard to fit on certain rims because of
    their width. If you have nice roads and are a fairly light and experienced rider, 23's are probably
    fine. If your roads are bumpy/potholed/seamed, you might want to stick with the 25's and shop around
    until you find some.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    > "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I've road the 700x25c for 2 years... never road a 23c... Have you road both? Noticeable
    > > difference?
    >
    > 23's have to be pumped up a little harder and have a harsher ride. Not too bad but the change from
    > 23 to 20 is a HUGE change and riding 20's are like being on an iron wheel.

  6. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    What is a good "25" tire? The only 25s I have seen in high quality tires are the Conti GP3000. I am
    used to Axial Pro, Hutchinson (Gold?), Unltrasonics and Veloflex. I like a nice supple casing.

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've ridden everything from 38's down to 18's. I'd agree with Tom for the most part. Personally,
    > my concern is primarily with longevity and
    comfort.
    > I personally like 25's and 28's. They're still fast enough and they're
    much
    > more comfortable. 28's are sometimes hard to fit on certain rims because
    of
    > their width. If you have nice roads and are a fairly light and
    experienced
    > rider, 23's are probably fine. If your roads are bumpy/potholed/seamed,
    you
    > might want to stick with the 25's and shop around until you find some.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..
    > --
    > Scott Anderson

    > > "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I've road the 700x25c for 2 years... never road a 23c... Have you road both? Noticeable
    > > > difference?
    > >
    > > 23's have to be pumped up a little harder and have a harsher ride. Not too bad but the change
    > > from 23 to 20 is a HUGE change and riding 20's are like being on an iron wheel.

  7. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I've always liked the Avocet FasGrip 25's myself. But you can get Vittoria's and others in 25 as
    well. Your perception of high quality may be slanted towards racing high quality. There are very
    good high quality touring tires in 35c width as well. Again, usage sometimes dictates width
    decisions.

    Cheers!

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What is a good "25" tire? The only 25s I have seen in high quality tires
    are
    > the Conti GP3000. I am used to Axial Pro, Hutchinson (Gold?), Unltrasonics and Veloflex. I like a
    > nice supple casing.

  8. Do racers ride larger tires i.e. 25mm or 28mm or when racing do you ride a smaller tire like a
    20mm? Monty

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've ridden everything from 38's down to 18's. I'd agree with Tom for the most part. Personally,
    > my concern is primarily with longevity and
    comfort.
    > I personally like 25's and 28's. They're still fast enough and they're
    much
    > more comfortable. 28's are sometimes hard to fit on certain rims because
    of
    > their width. If you have nice roads and are a fairly light and
    experienced
    > rider, 23's are probably fine. If your roads are bumpy/potholed/seamed,
    you
    > might want to stick with the 25's and shop around until you find some.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..
    > --
    > Scott Anderson

    > > "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I've road the 700x25c for 2 years... never road a 23c... Have you road both? Noticeable
    > > > difference?
    > >
    > > 23's have to be pumped up a little harder and have a harsher ride. Not too bad but the change
    > > from 23 to 20 is a HUGE change and riding 20's are like being on an iron wheel.

  9. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Generally, racers will ride the narrowest, highest-pressure tire they can, provided it is durable
    enough and rideable enough for the course. This will provide the lowest rolling resistance generally
    and that's what they want. In the "real world", that may not be entirely what you need though. I
    personally race with 25's or 28's or whatever, primarily because I suck and can't be bothered
    changing when I'm still going to finish in the back half.

    Cheers!

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do racers ride larger tires i.e. 25mm or 28mm or when racing do you ride a smaller tire like a
    > 20mm? Monty

  10. LOL Thanks

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Generally, racers will ride the narrowest, highest-pressure tire they can, provided it is durable
    > enough and rideable enough for the course. This
    will
    > provide the lowest rolling resistance generally and that's what they want. In the "real world",
    > that may not be entirely what you need though. I personally race with 25's or 28's or whatever,
    > primarily because I suck
    and
    > can't be bothered changing when I'm still going to finish in the back
    half.

    > Cheers!
    >
    > Scott..
    > --
    > Scott Anderson
    >

    > "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Do racers ride larger tires i.e. 25mm or 28mm or when racing do you ride
    > > smaller tire like a 20mm? Monty

  11. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Monty Montgomery wrote:

    > Do racers ride larger tires i.e. 25mm or 28mm or when racing do you ride a smaller tire
    > like a 20mm?

    When I started out racing I was using 20mm. I was really thin and the tires didn't give me that
    rough of a ride. I thought that thinner was better as far as racing is concerned and so for a season
    rode on 18mm. I can't recall whether that was the year I enjoyed a lot of crashes, especially while
    turning. However, for the last ten years I've ridden 23mm exclusively and find them to be ideal for
    racing and training. In all that time I've only crashed twice, neither while turning.

    ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

    Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
    musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Avocet makes a really good 25. I actually like the 28's better since they are really 25's and the
    25's are really 23's in Avocent-Speak.

    "Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What is a good "25" tire? The only 25s I have seen in high quality
    tires are
    > the Conti GP3000. I am used to Axial Pro, Hutchinson (Gold?),
    Unltrasonics
    > and Veloflex. I like a nice supple casing.
    >

    > "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've ridden everything from 38's down to 18's. I'd agree with Tom
    for the
    > > most part. Personally, my concern is primarily with longevity and
    > comfort.
    > > I personally like 25's and 28's. They're still fast enough and
    they're
    > much
    > > more comfortable. 28's are sometimes hard to fit on certain rims
    because
    > of
    > > their width. If you have nice roads and are a fairly light and
    > experienced
    > > rider, 23's are probably fine. If your roads are
    bumpy/potholed/seamed,
    > you
    > > might want to stick with the 25's and shop around until you find
    some.

    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Scott..
    > > --
    > > Scott Anderson
    > >
    > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Joe Caltagirone III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > 23's have to be pumped up a little harder and have a harsher
    ride. Not
    > > > too bad but the change from 23 to 20 is a HUGE change and riding
    20's
    > > > are like being on an iron wheel.

  13. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    "Joe Caltagirone III" wrote:

    > I am riding a pair of Rolf Vector wheels (not comp or pro). They came with 700x25c tires (IRC red
    > storm). I'd like to get a pair of Michellan Pro Race but all I can find on the web 700x23c. Can I
    > use a 23c tire on that Rolf Vector wheel that origonally came with a 25c?

    No problem. BTW, actual tire width is often different than what's printed on the sidewall. I don't
    know about the Red Storms, but the IRC Triathlons are labeled 700 x 25 but actually measure 23 mm.
    Same for the older Avocets. The new Avocets "Carbon ?" are accurately labeled.

    Art Harris

  14. Jx

    Jx Guest

    Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Monty Montgomery wrote:
    >
    > > Do racers ride larger tires i.e. 25mm or 28mm or when racing do you ride a smaller tire like
    > > a 20mm?
    > >
    > When I started out racing I was using 20mm. I was really thin and the tires didn't give me that
    > rough of a ride. I thought that thinner was better as far as racing is concerned and so for a
    > season rode on 18mm. I can't recall whether that was the year I enjoyed a lot of crashes,
    > especially while turning. However, for the last ten years I've ridden 23mm exclusively and find
    > them to be ideal for racing and training. In all that time I've only crashed twice, neither while
    > turning.

    I use 23mm as well. On the rare occasion that I have a 19 or 20 (these were popular junk
    primes...maybe still are...I haven't won a prime in a while), I stick it on the front. If I put it
    on the rear, I flat more often. Riders without a fat ass may have different experience.