Changing tire w/out tire tool

thombo

Nov 26, 2005
I got a flat to change out but don't have a tire tool to get the tire off the rims; dont really want to damage anything trying to use a flathead or something, but does anyone have a recommendation as to how to change the tube with something i meight have around the house? Any pointers would be welcome.

thombo said:
I got a flat to change out but don't have a tire tool to get the tire off the rims; dont really want to damage anything trying to use a flathead or something, but does anyone have a recommendation as to how to change the tube with something i meight have around the house? Any pointers would be welcome.
When I was a kid all I ever used was a big stainless steel spoon. I didn't even know that there were tire levers. I'm not sure my Mom ever knew, but I was sure to do a good job cleaning it up before it went back to the kitchen. I'll bet you've got a spoon ;-)

Yeah, using a spoon might be fine if your the average Shmo with a Toys R Us bike. Cheap bike- flathead screwdriver/spoon okay, Expensive bike- plastic tire levers that will not eat into your rims. This is assuming a cheap bike coorelates with cheap rims and vice versa with an expensive bike. The convenience of a household tool doesn't outway the disadvantages of ruining a good set of rims. A set of tire levers are not expensive and often come with patches. I've probably gathered 4-5 sets in the last 3 years from buying the best deal on patches. Besides, tire levers are much easier to use and less damaging to your tires. Basically bro, buy some levers. Lais. FTU

FasterthanU said:
Yeah, using a spoon might be fine if your the average Shmo with a Toys R Us bike. Cheap bike- flathead screwdriver/spoon okay, Expensive bike- plastic tire levers that will not eat into your rims. This is assuming a cheap bike coorelates with cheap rims and vice versa with an expensive bike. The convenience of a household tool doesn't outway the disadvantages of ruining a good set of rims. A set of tire levers are not expensive and often come with patches. I've probably gathered 4-5 sets in the last 3 years from buying the best deal on patches. Besides, tire levers are much easier to use and less damaging to your tires. Basically bro, buy some levers. Lais. FTU
Yeah, i was hoping to find something not metal so that I wouldnt damage my rims - that was my main concern. That said, I know levers are only a couple few bucks and just dont have a set or a way to buy one today, that's why I was asking. Plan to go out and get one tomorrow. thanks for the help though.

Depending on the tire/tube combo you might be able to get it off by hand. Try starting from the top and pushing the tire toward the ground on either side. This should create just enough slack at the bottom to get the tire over the rim. Does not work with all tires/rims but it’s worth a try.

FasterthanU said:
Obviously tire levers are better, but sometimes you have to use what is at hand, and the LBS is not always open. Duh. FWIW, the bike that I used the spoon on all the time was a very nice Fiorelli ten speed with all Campy components (this was in 1963). It was my first nice bike and I used it to commute to my caddying job. I changed many flats and the aluminum rims did just fine. It was not a cheap bike, as you incorrectly assumed. BTW, why do think they are sometimes called "tire spoons"? Where do you suppose that came from? Also, there is a huge difference between using a spoon and a flathead screwdriver. One makes sense and the other really IS stupid.

fish156 said:
Obviously tire levers are better, but sometimes you have to use what is at hand, and the LBS is not always open. Duh. FWIW, the bike that I used the spoon on all the time was a very nice Fiorelli ten speed with all Campy components (this was in 1963). It was my first nice bike and I used it to commute to my caddying job. I changed many flats and the aluminum rims did just fine. It was not a cheap bike, as you incorrectly assumed. BTW, why do think they are sometimes called "tire spoons"? Where do you suppose that came from? Also, there is a huge difference between using a spoon and a flathead screwdriver. One makes sense and the other really IS stupid.
Well guys, for what it's worth, i actually just finished changing the tire out. I appreciate the help and actually got the tire/tube off by hand (by creating the slack, etc as suggested), but then need the spoon as a lever to get that last little bit of tire back on the rim at the very end. So it was collaborative. Thanks for the help.

thombo said:
Well guys, for what it's worth, i actually just finished changing the tire out. I appreciate the help and actually got the tire/tube off by hand (by creating the slack, etc as suggested), but then need the spoon as a lever to get that last little bit of tire back on the rim at the very end. So it was collaborative. Thanks for the help.
Glad to hear that it worked out. It's always nice to have the right tools, and I am a serious tool freak. But, at the other end of the spectrum, sometimes you need to use a little imagination. This comes in very handy when something unexpected happens out on the road. I managed to fix bikes for a good part of my life with just a few common hand tools. I also spent a few years in Asia and learned a lot about how clever people can be when they don't have a lot to work with and need to get things done. Merry Christmas!

I finds that I don't need levers. I've found Maxxis tires to be a doddle to mount. Michelins (carbons) are a bit tight on the first go, but if they need to be unmounted later, it's easier. That said, using a folding tire w/ a Kevlar bead makes it a bit easier. If you just gotta have a tool, Crank Brothers' SpeedLever is pretty nifty. It works just like the lever that car tire hombres use to mount and removed car tires. You just spin it 'round the axle and it either mounts or dismounts. It'll handle the most recalcitrant tires.