Changing To Diskbrake On A Roadbike

Nonn

May 7, 2015
Anyone use a diskbrake conversion kit for a roadbike? Would you recommend it? Any issues I might run into?

Conversion kit? Maybe it's because I only work part time at a shop but I've never heard of a concession kit. Your fram would have to have the mounts for it. Not to mention that even if such a product existed, it would be pricy with the cost of new parts (levers, calipers, rotors, wheels, plus labor). Almost would be worth it to sell the bike and just get a new one.

I still hate the idea of disc brakes on rotors.

There really isn't a sensible way to do that unless fork/frame already have the mounts.

Don't do it. A road bike designed for rim brakes will not have the beefy chain stay nor the beefy fork to handle the load a disk brake will put on both. Some, if not all, manufactures will void your frame warranty if you convert such a bike over to disk brakes.

If you're dissatisfed with the performance of your rim brakes, try replacing the pads first. Try Kool-Stop. Save disc brakes for your next bike.

Issues you might run into:

Breaking the forks.
Breaking the chain/seat stays.
Crashing and falling to a horrible death - or something like that...

Get a frame and forks designed for disk brakes.

Disc brakes are effective as they cool faster hence reducing wear. This makes them stay for long. They can be used on rough roads and through dirt without any problem. They are highly recommended.

9lines said:
Disc brakes are effective as they cool faster hence reducing wear. This makes them stay for long. They can be used on rough roads and through dirt without any problem. They are highly recommended.
Cool faster then what? Napalm?