changing wheel sizes - can i?

charly h

Oct 10, 2005
I am quite new to bike mechanics, but finding them very fun already! I have a knackered 25 yr old racer and I'd like to change the wheels at some point as they are a size that is a bit obsolete now (and a bit rusty) and it's hard to find a selection of tyres for them. I think they are 27 x1 1/4. They are pretty heavy too so it would be good to get something a bit lighter. Will it affect stuff like the gears (or anthing else) if I change the wheel size? Apologies if this is a question with an obvious answer, have been pondering it, but can't work it out! :confused:
Any cheapish reccommendations for wheels would be good too ... and the bike is quite large for me, as I am about 5"3, could my eventual choice of wheel size help in this department? The bike is a comfortable ride for me, it's just that I can't touch the ground when sitting on the seat!
Any thoughts gratefully received!
Thanks very much!

It's too old and too big, chuck it.
Seat is to pedals as
Top tube is to ground.

Buy a MTB with 26" wheels and put slicks on it, much easier to ride at your age... :D

charly h said:
I am quite new to bike mechanics, but finding them very fun already! I have a knackered 25 yr old racer and I'd like to change the wheels at some point as they are a size that is a bit obsolete now (and a bit rusty) and it's hard to find a selection of tyres for them. I think they are 27 x1 1/4. They are pretty heavy too so it would be good to get something a bit lighter. Will it affect stuff like the gears (or anthing else) if I change the wheel size? Apologies if this is a question with an obvious answer, have been pondering it, but can't work it out! :confused:
Any cheapish reccommendations for wheels would be good too ... and the bike is quite large for me, as I am about 5"3, could my eventual choice of wheel size help in this department? The bike is a comfortable ride for me, it's just that I can't touch the ground when sitting on the seat!
Thanks very much!
Wheels and tyres in this size are still available, but changing to 700c will give you more choice and is probably the only switch you can practically make. The effect on gearing will be negligible, but good wheels have cassette hubs with 7 or more sprockets, which your current derailieur might just have problems with. And it won't put your feet much nearer to the ground. Upgrading an old bike can become as expensive as buying a new one, which will fit.

charly h said:
The bike is a comfortable ride for me, it's just that I can't touch the ground when sitting on the seat!
Thanks very much!
If you could touch the ground while seated, the bike would be too small according to the usual sizing of road bikes. I am 6' and can't touch the ground from the seat, and my bike is just right.

The fact that you can ride comfortably tells me it could be the right size. If you can't stand over the top bar without contact with your tender areas, that is different. :eek:

This is what gclark8 was saying in a more fun way... :D

If you were riding a road bike, and the seat was so low that you could touch the ground, you would probably not be getting the leg extension you need for an efficient (and therefore fun) ride.

Editting... I am going to pick up a bike this evening with 27" wheels... added to my Univega this makes 2... So, I don't worry about size, although I am concerned about steel rims instead of alloy rims...

Thanks George! I have a cunning plan to rebuild and refurb however! It's still a nice bike.

gclark8 said:
It's too old and too big, chuck it.
Seat is to pedals as
Top tube is to ground.
Buy a MTB with 26" wheels and put slicks on it, much easier to ride at your age... :D
... and I'm 31 by the way lol! Just a small female!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Charly

Thanks for the info ... I guess I need to make a decision between blowing cash on an old crock to bring it up to standard, or just waiting for cash flow to improve ... but to be honest I think the tinkering around with the bike will be half the pleasure anyway, as long as I keep a tight grip on my wallet! The thought of making it all nice and shiny again appeals! It has 5 speed gears at present.

Also the sizing info was useful ... I didn't realise that. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to part with it is because it's so comfortable and speedy ... plus if it gets nicked it doesn't matter too much!

Cheers!

Don Shipp said:
Wheels and tyres in this size are still available, but changing to 700c will give you more choice and is probably the only switch you can practically make. The effect on gearing will be negligible, but good wheels have cassette hubs with 7 or more sprockets, which your current derailieur might just have problems with. And it won't put your feet much nearer to the ground. Upgrading an old bike can become as expensive as buying a new one, which will fit.

charly h said:
Thanks for the info ... I guess I need to make a decision between blowing cash on an old crock to bring it up to standard, or just waiting for cash flow to improve ... but to be honest I think the tinkering around with the bike will be half the pleasure anyway, as long as I keep a tight grip on my wallet! The thought of making it all nice and shiny again appeals! It has 5 speed gears at present.

Also the sizing info was useful ... I didn't realise that. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to part with it is because it's so comfortable and speedy ... plus if it gets nicked it doesn't matter too much!

Cheers!
You could just put decent 27" tyres on the existing wheels, such as Continental ultra gatorskins. If you change the wheels then it will no longer be a 5 speed, and you will almost certainly have to replace other bits as well.
If you want to tinker, then you will be spending on new wheels, sprockets, chain, perhaps rear changer, chainring, brake blocks if the old wheels are steel rimmed, brake and gear cables, and a lot more if you want an indexed system.
It's a good way to go if you like the frame, but it isn't that cheap.