changing wheel sizes, phantom II

John Duval

Guest
Am I crazy? (don't answer that).

I am thinking of changing the front wheel on my Lightning
Phantom II from a 406 size to a 451 size. I have three
goals: replace the poor performance stock wheels, make the
riding position more laid back and increase the wheel size
for lower rolling resistance and better ride.

It seems that the only rim available is the Velocity Aero.
It seems like there are some decent tires available in this
size. There is no matching rear rim in 26" size, but that
probably is no biggie.

I would replace the front brake with a Paul BMX/700
cantiliever to get the brake pads in alignment. I would
probably get a Pantour hub for a little spring up front,
while the back end is already pretty soft.

Admittedly the difference may be subtle, raising the front
of the bike only an inch or so, but do I want to go there?

(remove 'spam' from my email address)

"John Duval" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Am I crazy? (don't answer that).
>
> I am thinking of changing the front wheel on my Lightning
> Phantom II from a 406 size to a 451 size. I have three
> goals: replace the poor performance stock wheels, make the
> riding position more laid back and increase the wheel size
> for lower rolling resistance and better ride.

What tire do you have on the Phantom? There's many more
choices available in the "406" size.

See http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-
bin/search.pl?category=701800 and http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-
bin/search.pl?category=702700

> It seems that the only rim available is the Velocity Aero.
> It seems like there are some decent tires available in
> this size. There is no matching rear rim in 26" size, but
> that probably is no biggie.

There's also the Alex R390 and the Sun CR-18. Both are
available from Green Gear (the Bike Friday people). I have
an Alex 451 rim on my Tour Easy. The CR-18 is also available
in 26", if you want to stay "matching".

> I would replace the front brake with a Paul BMX/700
> cantiliever to get the brake pads in alignment. I would
> probably get a Pantour hub for a little spring up front,
> while the back end is already pretty soft.

I'd be careful- you may run out of room with the combination
of a 451 wheel and a Pantour hub. Jamming the front tire
into the fork crown is something you *don't* want to do.

> Admittedly the difference may be subtle, raising the front
> of the bike only an inch or so, but do I want to go there?

I'd try different front tires first. Lots easier to make the
switch, and less expensive, too.

Jeff

I have a SWB Bentech and I use both a 406 and 451 front
wheel. The front fork was made by cutting down an old road
bike fork. I made two different drop bolt brackets to
accommodate the same brake on either wheel combination.

The 451 provides better handling. However, this is
subjective. I use a 100 psi IRC on the 451, and 1.5 in Comet
on the 406. The 406 gives me the opportunity to use big
tires, which is desirable for touring. The tires are more
rugged and give a better ride. However, if speed is the
consideration, then the 451 is the way to go. However, there
is slightly more heel interference with the 451, and if big
tires were available in this size this problem would only
increase. "John Duval" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:XzVkc.8863$Ut1.264559@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Am I crazy? (don't answer that).
>
> I am thinking of changing the front wheel on my Lightning
> Phantom II from
> 406 size to a 451 size. I have three goals: replace the
> poor performance stock wheels, make the riding position
> more laid back and increase the
wheel
> size for lower rolling resistance and better ride.
>
> It seems that the only rim available is the Velocity Aero.
> It seems like there are some decent tires available in
> this size. There is no matching rear rim in 26" size, but
> that probably is no biggie.
>
> I would replace the front brake with a Paul BMX/700
> cantiliever to get the brake pads in alignment. I would
> probably get a Pantour hub for a little spring up front,
> while the back end is already pretty soft.
>
> Admittedly the difference may be subtle, raising the front
> of the bike
only
> an inch or so, but do I want to go there?
>
> (remove 'spam' from my email address)

More choices doesn't matter if most of them are bad, and the
best ones are available in both sizes. The Primo Comet comes
in all sizes, and seems to be a relatively popular choice
(though it does flat easily).

I am going to change rims either way, but am adjusting to
the lack of choice for bents. I guess that is what you get
when you are .01% of the market, and even then bents are all
over the place!

John

news:[email protected]...