changing wheels from shimano to campag

HandyAndy

Jul 29, 2003
Does anyone know if it is possible to keep your wheels if changing groupsets from shimano to campag without changing hubs?The wheels I'm talking about are mavic ksyriums and cosmic carbons?What tools would you need and is it a job for your average joe mechanic or would it be better to take it in to a shop?

it is possible to switch them, most brands offer adaptators for both the systems...if you don't have the campag part in hand go to your LBS and they shall be able to help you.

Yes you can change from Shimano to Campag. I'm having the same problem at the moment with my Eurus rear wheel. Took it to the LBS and they said the freewheel needs replacing to make it possible to use my Veloce cassette. A Chorus freewheel should set you back about 30 quid a Record one around 60.

Originally posted by crystal_tears_
Yes you can change from Shimano to Campag. I'm having the same problem at the moment with my Eurus rear wheel. Took it to the LBS and they said the freewheel needs replacing to make it possible to use my Veloce cassette. A Chorus freewheel should set you back about 30 quid a Record one around 60.
They are talking about replacing the freehub body,not the freewheel.And FWIW, they are casettes, not freewheels.

I also think its the freewheel body.I know when I bought my wheels I saw the guy in the shop change the body so I was thinking that all I may need is the campy body and the right tools.Is that right?

Since you are using Mavic wheels, you only need to get the Mavic M10 cassette. It fits on their Shimano-splined wheels and comes with the spacers to give you correct shifting on a Campy 9 or 10 speed drivetrain. I think this is the easiest, cheapest method for changing. You only need a chainwhip and a cassette tool - it's quite easy, I've done it myself. By the way, this will ONLY_WORK_ON_MAVIC_wheels.

Something must have been lost in translation. A freehub body is also called a freewheel here in England. Campag and Shimano freewheels are designed differently hence my problem with my rear wheel when changing groupsets on my new bike. Unfortunately i don't think this information has helped HandyAndy. Sowwwy :(

Some wheelsets offer changeable freehubs - Zipp does this, don't know about Mavic. Rolf/DT doesn't.

You can also buy a converted cassette. That's what I ended up doing when I wanted to put a set of Rolf wheels with Shimano 8/9 freehub on my Campy 10 equipped bike. My converted cassette came from Branford Bike, but they can also be found on ebay.

I have run a Shimano wheel with Campag spacers in the cluster with no problems....funny thing is my campg wheels run better in my friends bike with shimano than his shimano wheels do...I did have to replace the freewhell body when I bought my Topolino's though so mabey you can get away with just changing spacers on some wheels or groupsets, but not on others...