Changing Wheels

matsaul

May 25, 2005
I have a bog standard Raleigh Mountain bike with chunky wheels/tyres. Would it be possible to change my wheels to a Hybrid type? I only cycle on the road and am under the impression a thinner tyre would be better.

I am concerned about the brakes fitting a new wheel as well as the different width (between the forks) - as you can see I am not all that clued up on the cycle terminology.
:rolleyes:

Well you probably could don't know what that would cost you. You might just look to change your tires to a thinner smoother design. Ecconomically it would be cheaper your going to have to buy tires anyway if you get new wheels. Just changing the tires should make a bid differance and check with the local bike shop to see what would be the thinnest that would fit your current rim. You would then have something similar to the classic cruiser type tire that would be great for just about everything but the extended long ride. If you really want to do long rides than you may want to change your bike to more of a road machine.

matsaul said:
I have a bog standard Raleigh Mountain bike with chunky wheels/tyres. Would it be possible to change my wheels to a Hybrid type? I only cycle on the road and am under the impression a thinner tyre would be better.

I am concerned about the brakes fitting a new wheel as well as the different width (between the forks) - as you can see I am not all that clued up on the cycle terminology.
:rolleyes:

I wouldn't change the wheels, just buy the thinnest, slickest MTB tyres you can find, prefereably ones you can inflate to a nice high pressure and you'll be OK. You probably won't notice that much difference between that and a hybrid style wheel.

gubaguba said:
Well you probably could don't know what that would cost you. You might just look to change your tires to a thinner smoother design. Ecconomically it would be cheaper your going to have to buy tires anyway if you get new wheels. Just changing the tires should make a bid differance and check with the local bike shop to see what would be the thinnest that would fit your current rim. You would then have something similar to the classic cruiser type tire that would be great for just about everything but the extended long ride. If you really want to do long rides than you may want to change your bike to more of a road machine.
Thank you for your reply, given me a better idea

John Picton said:
I wouldn't change the wheels, just buy the thinnest, slickest MTB tyres you can find, prefereably ones you can inflate to a nice high pressure and you'll be OK. You probably won't notice that much difference between that and a hybrid style wheel.
Thank you for your reply, given me a better idea