Changing Which Gears Rub on Double

Jkpoulos7

Guest
I have a 2001 cdale xr800 with 105 sti and f&r derailluers. On the large
chainraing all rear cogs run without rubbing ( I dont ride with big front/big
rear but pedalled by hand to see). I get rubbing (Sounds like it) on the
smaller front and smaller two rears which I want to use. How can I get these
gears to work and lose others I dont need?

On 31 May 2004 19:47:58 GMT, [email protected]topspam (Jkpoulos7)
wrote:
> I have a 2001 cdale xr800 with 105 sti and f&r derailluers. On the large
>chainraing all rear cogs run without rubbing ( I dont ride with big front/big
>rear but pedalled by hand to see). I get rubbing (Sounds like it) on the
>smaller front and smaller two rears which I want to use. How can I get these
>gears to work and lose others I dont need?

You might just be able to use the shifter to adjust the derailer's
position without actually shifting. Try pushing the lever one click.

If that doesn't work, maybe you can tighten the cable-tension
adjuster. It should be a barrel surrounding the cable a couple
inches from the shifter, or at the end of the cable housing where it
goes into the stop on the downtube and becomes bare cable.

Or, you may be able to adjust the "low" screw on the front derailer.
If, when in the small chainring and large rear cog, the front
derailer has lots of space between it's inner cage and the chain,
turn the "low" screw until it moves outward and almost touches the
chain.
--
Rick Onanian

> I have a 2001 cdale xr800 with 105 sti and f&r derailluers. On
the large
> chainraing all rear cogs run without rubbing ( I dont ride with big

front/big
> rear but pedalled by hand to see). I get rubbing (Sounds like it)

on the
> smaller front and smaller two rears which I want to use. How can I

get these
> gears to work and lose others I dont need?

This is normal because you really shouldn't use the small/small and
big/big combo's. You could try a longer bottom bracket to change the
chainline so it won't rub, it will propably result in rubbing with the
big/big combo's. If the small/small is so important you don't care
much about the other gears you could also switch the big and small
chainring.

"Jkpoulos7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a 2001 cdale xr800 with 105 sti and f&r derailluers. On

the large
> chainraing all rear cogs run without rubbing ( I dont ride with big

front/big
> rear but pedalled by hand to see). I get rubbing (Sounds like it)

on the
> smaller front and smaller two rears which I want to use. How can I

get these
> gears to work and lose others I dont need?

jkpoulos-<< I get rubbing (Sounds like it) on the
smaller front and smaller two rears which I want to use. How can I get these
gears to work and lose others I dont need? >><BR><BR>

With multi cog systems with big rings with all sorts of pins and ramps and
such, this is NORMAL. The chain is tickling the big ring. No problem, nothing
to fix or adjust. Just don't ride there.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302