Channel 7 news tonight

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Joel Mayes, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    Had a story on the `Hell Ride', very anti-bicycle they followed the
    ride in a chopper and show footage of cars driving on the wrong side of
    the road to over take then cutting in front of the cyclist with a voice
    over talking about how these ``mad cyclist'' are forcing drivers to
    drive dangerously(!) by taking up lanes on the road, also showed footage
    of the bunch going through a T-junction with traffic lights with
    a voice over about cyclist running red lights, even though the colour
    of the light wasn't visible in the footage.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
    | Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
    | Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

    Tags:

  2. Hitchy

    Hitchy Guest

    Joel Mayes wrote:
    > Had a story on the `Hell Ride', very anti-bicycle they followed the ride
    > in a chopper and show footage of cars driving on the wrong side of the
    > road to over take then cutting in front of the cyclist with a voice over
    > talking about how these ``mad cyclist'' are forcing drivers to drive
    > dangerously(!) by taking up lanes on the road, also showed footage of
    > the bunch going through a T- junction with traffic lights with a voice
    > over about cyclist running red lights, even though the colour of the
    > light wasn't visible in the footage.
    > --
    > | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML
    > | mail and news Musician | / \ Music Teacher |

    G'day Joel

    I did the 'hell ride' on Saturday. Everybody was concerned when th
    channel 7 chopper followed the whole ride, that it was going to b
    another negative story on cyclists. I did't see 7 news, (does anyone
    but nothing they do surprises me. I'd like to thank those 'critica
    mass' morons for getting this type of story back on th
    agenda!......BTW, the 'Hell Ride' was extremely well behaved...I go
    dropped early, but a few mates held on & they didn't recall ANY re
    lights being run........so what are we going to do about it?.....I vot
    we all boycott channel 7....shouldn't be too hard...since they lost th
    footy I don't think I've watched any of their offerings anyway (LOL)

    cheers

    Hitch

    -

  3. rickster

    rickster Guest

    Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Had a story on the `Hell Ride', very anti-bicycle they followed the
    > ride in a chopper and show footage of cars driving on the wrong side of
    > the road to over take then cutting in front of the cyclist with a voice
    > over talking about how these ``mad cyclist'' are forcing drivers to
    > drive dangerously(!) by taking up lanes on the road, also showed footage
    > of the bunch going through a T-junction with traffic lights with
    > a voice over about cyclist running red lights, even though the colour
    > of the light wasn't visible in the footage.

    Selective editing, a common trait for this slop. The T intersection
    was terrible. You had know way of knowing if the bunch did have a
    green light.

    But. Gotta admit, the footage of 5-6 wide cyclists and into the second
    lane didn't look to flash, with cars trying get past.

    Beautiful moment at the shocking spot around Charman Rd where the road
    becomes one lane. A big one is going to happen there one day.

  4. stu

    stu Guest

    >but a few mates held on & they didn't recall ANY red
    > lights being run

    They were all YELLOW officer, all 56* of them
    stu :)

    *(thats a rough count from an old melways)

  5. Hitchy

    Hitchy Guest

    Stu wrote:
    > >but a few mates held on & they didn't recall ANY red lights being run

    > They were all YELLOW officer, all 56* of them stu :)
    > *(thats a rough count from an old melways)

    g'day,

    You wouldn't be bucking for a job at 7 by any chance would you
    Stu?....you obviously weren't there on Sat anyway, (& I do appreciate
    the comment is tongue in cheek!)......it would seem to me that following
    the whole 1 & 1/2 hours of the hell ride to get 2 mins worth of footage
    might be overkill......wonder what a chopper costs to fly for that
    long.....the whole story reminds me of the old show by the 'panel' guys,
    "Frontline".....you know, think of a story, put your own skew on
    it....then go find some selectively edited footage to prove your
    point.....just as well it was on 7 though....If it had of been on a
    station with some viewers.......,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

    --

  6. jazmo

    jazmo Guest

    Couldn't believe that they cut off that police office right at the en
    of the story. He said something about drivers having to start respectin
    cyclists. I bet he had a lot more to say than that. They didn't explor
    that side of things at all and just put a token sentence in there as i
    that would add balance to the whole story

    -

  7. On 29 Feb 2004 11:37:19 GMT, Joel Mayes <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Had a story on the `Hell Ride', very anti-bicycle they followed the
    >ride in a chopper and show footage of cars driving on the wrong side of
    >the road to over take then cutting in front of the cyclist with a voice
    >over talking about how these ``mad cyclist'' are forcing drivers to
    >drive dangerously(!) by taking up lanes on the road, also showed footage
    >of the bunch going through a T-junction with traffic lights with
    >a voice over about cyclist running red lights, even though the colour
    >of the light wasn't visible in the footage.

    Reminds me of the channel 9 footage not long ago where the voice-over
    talked about running a red at a pedestrian crossing (complete with
    pedestrian starting to cross and jumping back in fright), when you
    could see that the light was red for the pedestrian who was a channel
    9 employee.

    Funny thing is that one of the journos at 7 is a keen
    cyclist/triathlete.

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  8. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Stu wrote:
    > > >but a few mates held on & they didn't recall ANY red lights being run

    > > They were all YELLOW officer, all 56* of them stu :)
    > > *(thats a rough count from an old melways)

    2 mins worth of footage
    > might be overkill......wonder what a chopper costs to fly for that
    > long.....

    <snip>

    Maybe they were hoping for some carnage for their show... I mean News.

  9. Jess

    Jess Guest

    That might be Jennifer Adams - I saw her in Cafe Racer one Saturday morning
    all decked out in cycling gear...

  10. rickster

    rickster Guest

    Hitchy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Joel Mayes wrote:

    [snip]>
    > I did the 'hell ride' on Saturday. Everybody was concerned when the
    > channel 7 chopper followed the whole ride, that it was going to be
    > another negative story on cyclists. I did't see 7 news, (does anyone)
    > but nothing they do surprises me. I'd like to thank those 'critical
    > mass' morons for getting this type of story back on the
    > agenda!......BTW, the 'Hell Ride' was extremely well behaved...I got
    > dropped early, but a few mates held on & they didn't recall ANY red
    > lights being run........so what are we going to do about it?.....I vote
    > we all boycott channel 7....shouldn't be too hard...since they lost the
    > footy I don't think I've watched any of their offerings anyway (LOL),

    They had footage of the ride going into Frankston (I think) as the
    bunch spreads across the lanes as guys try to get a better position
    for the hills. It was very selective editing, but there was no doubt
    the bunch was taking up two lanes and holding a line of cars up behind
    it in the second lane. This was more the crux of the storey, in that
    the Hell Ride rarely rides just two a breast and commonly will take up
    more than one lane.

    And in my expereince, on a big day, this happens often. And it seems,
    this, more than anything, pisses motorists off, forcing them to take
    risks to go around.

    You should consider the risk vs gain of such a ride, and consider the
    three ambulances, the dozen riders down, the broken hip and
    collarbones of last Tuesday's Nth road ride.

  11. On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:08:36 +1100, "Jess" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That might be Jennifer Adams - I saw her in Cafe Racer one Saturday morning
    >all decked out in cycling gear...

    If you were responding to my post above, I was thinking of Jonathon
    Creek. Rides a very nice looking Wilier.

    Channel 7 (Melb) used to do news. So they got rid of their news
    editor.

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  12. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hitchy <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Joel Mayes wrote:

    [...]

    > And in my expereince, on a big day, this happens often. And it seems,
    > this, more than anything, pisses motorists off, forcing them to take
    > risks to go around.

    Not just motorists! I don't do a lot if cycling and have very little
    experience with bunches like this. My only experience was bad. I went in
    the Sydney to the 'Gong last year. I was appalled to see (in a nice casual
    ride like that) bunches of flash looking riders going down the 2nd of two
    lanes so they could get past all us "slow" riders.

    I guess the pack mentality (we are a large group, we are invincible) is in
    us all, and I can understand how it would feel to be part of the pack but I
    have to ask - is it really worth it?

    Brian.

  13. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:
    > Not just motorists! I don't do a lot if cycling and have very little
    > experience with bunches like this. My only experience was bad. I went in
    > the Sydney to the 'Gong last year. I was appalled to see (in a nice casual
    > ride like that) bunches of flash looking riders going down the 2nd of two
    > lanes so they could get past all us "slow" riders.

    You put enough humans in one place, you're going to get the usual
    proportion of wankers, be they cyclists (flash-looking or otherwise),
    motorists, or Channel 7 news executives.

    &roo

  14. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:37:19 +0000, Joel Mayes wrote:

    > Had a story on the `Hell Ride', very anti-bicycle they followed the
    > ride in a chopper and show footage of cars driving on the wrong side of
    > the road to over take then cutting in front of the cyclist with a voice
    > over talking about how these ``mad cyclist'' are forcing drivers to
    > drive dangerously(!) by taking up lanes on the road, also showed footage
    > of the bunch going through a T-junction with traffic lights with
    > a voice over about cyclist running red lights, even though the colour
    > of the light wasn't visible in the footage.

    The riders should get a group together, sue them for slander.
    Must be something about inciting hatred that could be thrown in
    there too.

    Apart from thousands in a settlement, a nice apology and
    prime-time retraction could be satisfying.

    -kt

  15. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:37:19 +0000, Joel Mayes wrote:

    > Had a story on the `Hell Ride', very anti-bicycle they followed the

    Heh...
    Should have called it the "Heck Ride";
    then no-one would be upset ;)

    -kt

  16. Michael Day

    Michael Day Guest

    > You should consider the risk vs gain of such a ride, and consider the

    > three ambulances, the dozen riders down, the broken hip and

    > collarbones of last Tuesday's Nth road ride

    What crap. There was no correlation between cars, lanes, drivers and last
    Tuesday's accident. Dozen riders down is crap too. That accident had nothing
    to do with the issue being discussed. That's what causes a lot of the
    frustrations between bikes and cars - people throwing in red herrings!

  17. "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]

    > And in my expereince, on a big day, this happens often. And it seems,
    > this, more than anything, pisses motorists off, forcing them to take
    > risks to go around.

    Nothing FORCES anyone to take risks. They choose to do so.

    They wouldn't do it if it was a slow car/tractor/truck in front of them.
    So why MUST they squeeze past just because it's a human powered vehicle?

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  18. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    Peter Cremasco wrote:
    > Nothing FORCES anyone to take risks. They choose to do so.
    > They wouldn't do it if it was a slow car/tractor/truck in front of them.
    > So why MUST they squeeze past just because it's a human powered vehicle?

    This is all too common everywhere. Motorists overtake cyclists in th
    most ridiculous places, where they would never consider overtakin
    other "vehicles". I have taken to riding in the centre of the lane fo
    two reasons

    1) The LHS is where all the patches, holes, broken glass, stones
    frayed tarmac edges, soft shoulders etc. etc. exist (not a saf
    place to be)

    2) Stupid motorists are less inclined to squeeze past in stupid places
    they just get pissed off that they have to use the brake or tak
    their foot off the accelerator

    BTW a previous post suggested that the news reporter/ editor migh
    apologise for a biased story. In your dreams. Apparently there is n
    compulsion for reports to be unbiased or balanced under th
    voluntary code

    -

  19. DRS

    DRS Guest

    Michael Day <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]

    [...]

    > What crap. There was no correlation between cars, lanes, drivers and
    > last Tuesday's accident. Dozen riders down is crap too. That accident
    > had nothing to do with the issue being discussed. That's what causes
    > a lot of the frustrations between bikes and cars - people throwing in
    > red herrings!

    What happened?

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
    barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious

  20. rickster

    rickster Guest

    Peter Cremasco <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]

    > > And in my expereince, on a big day, this happens often. And it seems,
    > > this, more than anything, pisses motorists off, forcing them to take
    > > risks to go around.

    > Nothing FORCES anyone to take risks. They choose to do so.
    >
    > They wouldn't do it if it was a slow car/tractor/truck in front of them.
    > So why MUST they squeeze past just because it's a human powered vehicle?

    Becasue the human powered vehicle is illegally in the second lane
    (both lanes) leaving the motorist no where to go. A slow
    truck/tractor will only be in ONE lane.

    See the difference ?