Channel 7 - you SUCK

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rob Woozle, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    FWIW...
    i think all major team sports that already have major international competition shouldnt be in the olympics. its turning into a circus. and also the hybrid and johhny-come-latelies too
    Sync Swimming
    rhythmic gym
    Baseball
    Soccer
    Hockey
    Basketball
    Equestrian (refer hippy's comments. couldnt agree more. Seen those car stickers "Poverty is owning a horse" ???)
    Medleys. these are just milking it...
    Im sure there are others but they dont spring to mind...

    PS hippy. dont upset the ponyclub brigade.
    AlpDueEast goes straight thru their 'homeland'. Dont want them getting their jodpers in a twist :)

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > i think all major team sports that already have major international
    > competition shouldnt be in the olympics.

    Why only team sports? You think tennis is a good Olympic sport?

    > its turning into a circus

    I think that's what it's meant to be...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]
    > hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > You aren't doing a very good job of explaining to me why it should be
    > > an Olympic sport.

    > So it seems. But you're not doing a very good job of the opposite --
    > you're really only showing that you don't understand the first thing
    > about it. That's no crime, it just puts you in no position to judge it.

    I thought my points were quite clear and quite valid.

    Horse riding is more a test of the animal's physical ability,
    not the rider's. This makes it inappropriate for the Olympics.

    The cost of entry into the sport is another issue I have
    with it but is not a reason to remove it from the Games.

    hippy

  4. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    like Cycling (Road, Madison, Team Pursuit/Sprint), MTB and Tri-Athalon?

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Horse riding is more a test of the animal's physical ability,
    > not the rider's. This makes it inappropriate for the Olympics.

    If what you said were true, I'd agree -- but it's not.

    You could argue the fact that the animal's ability has _any_ bearing is
    enough of an objection, and you might then have a case. But I think
    you're misjudgung the skill, mental and physical, involved. It's not
    really my cup of tea either, but I've seen very fit people near collapse
    after a relatively short session.

    I guess my real objection was to your attempts to belittle the athletes
    because you weren't familiar with the sport. The mental *and physical*
    demands on the participants are enormous, as in most sports.

    I also think putting all the emphasis on the physical side of things
    ignores the point that most top athletes win or lose with what's between
    their ears. Controlling what happens between two sets of ears seems
    somehow even more of an achievement.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "aeek" <[email protected]

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > FWIW...
    > > i think all major team sports that already have major international
    > > competition shouldnt be in the olympics. its turning into a circus. and
    > > also the hybrid and johhny-come-latelies too

    > like Cycling (Road, Madison, Team Pursuit/Sprint), MTB and Tri-Athalon?

    You forgot the keirin and the ITT's :p

    hippy

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    you can justify this as a 'hard physical sport' when the competitiors are wearing tophat and tails???

    and nope add tennis in there too. they dont need it
    Anbd seeing as you agree its a circus it would appear the equestrians could play ringleader. After all they already have the tophat and tails :D :D :D

    and please stop calling them athletes. competitors, sure. Call the horses athletes, but not the passengers

    and as for you aeek, shhhhhhh!

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Horse riding is more a test of the animal's physical ability,
    > > not the rider's. This makes it inappropriate for the Olympics.

    > If what you said were true, I'd agree -- but it's not.

    How can you say this? Is it the rider who jumps the obstacles
    now??

    > You could argue the fact that the animal's ability has _any_ bearing is
    > enough of an objection, and you might then have a case. But I think
    > you're misjudgung the skill, mental and physical, involved. It's not
    > really my cup of tea either, but I've seen very fit people near collapse
    > after a relatively short session.

    I can say the same about binge drinking.. that's not a sport yet :p

    > I guess my real objection was to your attempts to belittle the athletes
    > because you weren't familiar with the sport. The mental *and physical*
    > demands on the participants are enormous, as in most sports.

    It's still the horse that's doing the jumping, not the rider and
    don't even mention the dressage stuff..

    There are many activities out there which have high mental and
    physical demands but I don't think they should all be included in
    the Games.

    > I also think putting all the emphasis on the physical side of things
    > ignores the point that most top athletes win or lose with what's between
    > their ears. Controlling what happens between two sets of ears seems
    > somehow even more of an achievement.

    So Chess should be in the Games? What about Connect4?

    This is getting old..

    hippy

  9. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    the "Peaceful Olympics" are all about human-based Military skills.
    The modern racing eight is the descendent of the trireme.
    Dressage is what you need to maneuver your heavy cavalry en-masse.
    Passing the batton in relays, its the message.
    Bicycles were military vehicles.
    Rythmic gymnastics, syncronised diving/swimming are pushing it.
    And tennis, tennis has nothing to do with the militaristic olympic ideal.

  10. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    What about lobbing grenades.

  11. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Shotput & possibly Discus cover that.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > you can justify this as a 'hard physical sport' when the competitiors
    > are wearing tophat and tails???

    Some people make jokes about lycra, too. I would have thought jibes
    about dress were pretty old hat (sorry) in cycling circles.

    > and please stop calling them athletes. competitors, sure. Call the
    > horses athletes, but not the passengers

    Sporting bodies from the IOC down or up, depending on your view, beg to
    differ.

    The expression armchair jockey comes to mind...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  13. In article <%[email protected]>,
    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There are many activities out there which have high mental and
    > physical demands but I don't think they should all be included in
    > the Games.

    Fine. Then stop pretending that's the basis of your objection.

    > This is getting old.

    Indeed.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  14. On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:43:02 +1000, hippy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Shane Stanley

    <snip>

    >>To control a horse takes quite a lot, actually.

    >Maybe when jumping but I managed to ride one and the only reason my
    >heart rate went up was when the one I was on had a go at my mate's.
    >Scared the crap outta me and dumped my mate on his backside.

    Try backing a horse into an electric fence. You'd use some energy
    afterwards :)

    >>Are you also going to ban sailing because it's really just wind power?

    Shows how much you know about sailing. OK, not all classes sailed in
    the Olympics are high energy, but they do require skills. Try sailing
    a Tornado in a good breeze. It's a bit like skiing moguls while doing
    3D vector algebra in your head while revising for your law degree.

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  15. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > There are many activities out there which have high mental and
    > > physical demands but I don't think they should all be included in
    > > the Games.

    > Fine. Then stop pretending that's the basis of your objection.

    Re-read the thread and think about it for a while..

    > > This is getting old.

    > Indeed.

    In conclusion:
    http://www.orsm.net/php/showmemore.php?count=970&folder=../shite

    hippy

  16. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:21:25 GMT
    Shane Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> and please stop calling them athletes. competitors, sure. Call the
    >> horses athletes, but not the passengers

    > Sporting bodies from the IOC down or up, depending on your view, beg to
    > differ.

    So would people who ride horses.

    You'd be surprised at how physically demanding cross country and
    showjumping can be. Dressage less so, it's more about finesse and
    micrometer perfection for the rider. Hard on the body, certainly, but
    more because you have to be both relaxed and totally focused.

    Peopel deride synchronised swimming too, until they try to do a
    demanding physical routine underwater while hold their breath for a
    couple of minutes... even without having to do it with perfect timing.

    Zebee

  17. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:43:02 +1000
    hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Okay then.. give me the rider input required to make a horse walk
    > around
    > the dressage area. I've not competed in dressage but it doesn't look
    > like
    > the rider is doing much at all. Please feel free to enlighten me, but
    > when I rode a horse it involved sitting and making small arm and leg
    > movements.
    > This is not what I would call an Olympic sport. Maybe if they carried
    > the
    > horses onto the field..?

    A top class rider were you?

    I wasn't, never competed in a royal show or anything, but dressage
    requires a relaxed body that can stay in exact alignment while controlling
    the horse with movements you can't see.

    It's not as physically demanding as cross country, but it's not the sloppy
    sack of potatoes most people who ride a horse a couple of times exhibit.
    I found it required concentration and rather a lot of work from the
    abdominals and thighs.

    If, when you were sitting on that horse, your abs weren't hurting
    afterwards, you weren't working anywhere *near* hard enough. (hint, did
    you sit the trot? If you did, did your backside ever part company with
    the saddle for an instant, did your legs move at all, did your hands
    move from their relative position to the saddle, and were you managing
    to place the horse precisely via leg pressure while using double reins
    to position its head exactly? )

    But hey, everyone derides sports they don't understand or don't like.

    Zebee

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But hey, everyone derides sports they don't understand or don't like.

    Yep -- it's almost a national sport...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  19. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:07:17 GMT
    Shane Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> But hey, everyone derides sports they don't understand or don't like.

    > Yep -- it's almost a national sport...

    But where's the athleticism? is jumping to conclusions and taking wild
    guesses really that energetic?

    Zebee

    --
    Zebee Johnstone ([email protected]), proud holder of
    aus.motorcycles Poser Permit #1.

  20. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > Peopel deride synchronised swimming too, until they try to do a
    > demanding physical routine underwater while hold their breath for a
    > couple of minutes... even without having to do it with perfect
    > timing.

    Just because something is physically demanding that doesn't automatically
    make it a sport. If synchronized swimming is a sport then so is being a
    brickie's labourer. Only with less make-up.

    --

    A: Top-posters.