Channel 9 beat up Cyclist Vs Motorists

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
Did anyone see that rubbish?

They were trying to show the typical shots of cyclists behaving badly.

Of course, they show the bike couriers - duh!!!

Then they tried to show how cyclists are going down one way streets the wrong way.

click here to see
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...distortionb.JPG

then I thought I noticed something

I replayed the scene. the first couple of frames (a half a sec) reveals the ACA has no concern for the truth of it.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...adistortion.JPG

Notice the configuration.

It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street, Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct way.

Scotty

scotty72 said:
Did anyone see that rubbish?

They were trying to show the typical shots of cyclists behaving badly.

Of course, they show the bike couriers - duh!!!

Then they tried to show how cyclists are going down one way streets the wrong way.

click here to see
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...distortionb.JPG

then I thought I noticed something

I replayed the scene. the first couple of frames (a half a sec) reveals the ACA has no concern for the truth of it.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...adistortion.JPG

Notice the configuration.

It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street, Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct way.

Scotty
you know the truth spoils a good story...9 & 7 would never do that! ( ie: spoil a good story).....the truth will out...regrettable after more of us who chose to stay fit and healthy and support our environment by sustainable transport are maimed and killed by those who blindly believe the garbage dished out by 9 & 7 in the quest for ratings and sensationalism......

a pox on 'em.

scotty72 said:
Did anyone see that rubbish?

They were trying to show the typical shots of cyclists behaving badly.

Of course, they show the bike couriers - duh!!!

Then they tried to show how cyclists are going down one way streets the wrong way.

click here to see
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...distortionb.JPG

then I thought I noticed something

I replayed the scene. the first couple of frames (a half a sec) reveals the ACA has no concern for the truth of it.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...adistortion.JPG

Notice the configuration.

It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street, Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct way.

Scotty

That's a keen eye you have there Scotty - that is, in fact, Market Street heading east. There is a single bus lane that terminates at York St (the next traffic lights straight ahead) as buses turn right into the QVB bus station.

Those sneaky tv people. That's it. I refuse to believe their Miracle Water stories from now on!

Ritch

ritcho said:
That's a keen eye you have there Scotty - that is, in fact, Market Street heading east. There is a single bus lane that terminates at York St (the next traffic lights straight ahead) as buses turn right into the QVB bus station.

Those sneaky tv people. That's it. I refuse to believe their Miracle Water stories from now on!

Ritch
I guess next week's story is

"Diet Shock. Magic pill doesn't help lose weight!"

scotty72 said:
I guess next week's story is
"Diet Shock. Magic pill doesn't help lose weight!"

Ahh what??!!?? You mean I have to stop eating all these yummy cakes?!

DAMN!

*throws magic pills out nearby window*

hippy (and the Bienenstich) :D

At least you'll be able to climb the beanstalk and ****** the golden goose

scotty72 wrote:
> Did anyone see that rubbish?
>
> They were trying to show the typical shots of cyclists behaving badly.
>
> Of course, they show the bike couriers - duh!!!
>
> Then they tried to show how cyclists are going down one way streets the
> wrong way.
>
> click here to see
> 'http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...distortionb.JPG'
> (http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcliff/acadistortionb.JPG)
>
> then I thought I noticed something
>
> I replayed the scene. the first couple of frames (a half a sec) reveals
> the ACA has no concern for the truth of it.
>
> 'http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...adistortion.JPG'
> (http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcliff/acadistortion.JPG)
>
> Notice the configuration.
>
> It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street,
> Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct
> way.
>
> Scotty

No surprise there eh? Good pick up. Must be Sydney?

Why don't they show the white van couriers behaving badly (which of
course plenty of them do)? Not to mention all those nobs driving around
with Courier stickers on their cars.

--
Nick

scotty72 wrote:
> Notice the configuration.
>
> It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street,
> Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct
> way.
>
> Scotty

You really must have been concentrating. Did someone post the Media
Watch contact details recently, they'd love this.

DaveB

Man... that's shite. I recommend you send this info to MediaWatch on the
ABC. They love this sort of stuff. What a pack of pricks they are to do
that... I'm disgusted!!

The truth will out!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

news:[email protected]...

DaveB wrote:
> scotty72 wrote:
>
>> Notice the configuration.
>> It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street,
>> Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct
>> way.
>>
>> Scotty
>>

> You really must have been concentrating. Did someone post the Media
> Watch contact details recently, they'd love this.
>
> DaveB

I've sent Media Watch a link to this thread.

DaveB

When was this segment on?

"scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Did anyone see that rubbish?
>
> They were trying to show the typical shots of cyclists behaving badly.
>
> Of course, they show the bike couriers - duh!!!
>
> Then they tried to show how cyclists are going down one way streets the
> wrong way.
>
> click here to see
> 'http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...distortionb.JPG'
> (http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcliff/acadistortionb.JPG)
>
> then I thought I noticed something
>
> I replayed the scene. the first couple of frames (a half a sec) reveals
> the ACA has no concern for the truth of it.
>
> 'http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...adistortion.JPG'
> (http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcliff/acadistortion.JPG)
>
> Notice the configuration.
>
> It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street,
> Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct
> way.
>
> Scotty
>

> --
> scotty72

LD said:
When was this segment on?

"scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Did anyone see that rubbish?
>
> They were trying to show the typical shots of cyclists behaving badly.
>
> Of course, they show the bike couriers - duh!!!
>
> Then they tried to show how cyclists are going down one way streets the
> wrong way.
>
> click here to see
> 'http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...distortionb.JPG'
> (http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcliff/acadistortionb.JPG)
>
> then I thought I noticed something
>
> I replayed the scene. the first couple of frames (a half a sec) reveals
> the ACA has no concern for the truth of it.
>
> 'http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcl...adistortion.JPG'
> (http://members.iinet.net.au/~sratcliff/acadistortion.JPG)
>
> Notice the configuration.
>
> It is a bus lane which he is entitled to ride in (on Market Street,
> Sydney by the look of it) and the cyclist is travelling the correct
> way.
>
> Scotty
>

> --
> scotty72

just had a chance to watch this article, managed to get a divx version it... was not a bad article.... who the hell is Jenny Ward anyway, was a pretty balanced article I must admit though, showing both sides at fault, very interesting.

I just love how they show Bike couriers.... but also the groups, recognized, Beach Rd, Esplanade, Mordicallic (i think the guy doing the u-turn) and also I think hawthorn road was in there as well wasn't it ?? near glenferrie....

oh well at least the issues are getting raised I suppose, maybe people will become a bit more aware.

I'm sure this had been said a bazillion times before, but our biggest problem is Critical Mass; they generate much more antagonism than the fluff pieces on telly.

531Aussie said:
I'm sure this had been said a bazillion times before, but our biggest problem is Critical Mass; they generate much more antagonism than the fluff pieces on telly.

And if it wasn't for CM, the meedya would surely go & find some other minority group to pick on. Like roadies scaring tax-paying 4WD drivers, hyperactive MTB kiddies scaring the bushwalkers blahblahblah. Anyway CM is a symptom of a much greater problem, not a cause.

531Aussie said:
I'm sure this had been said a bazillion times before, but our biggest problem is Critical Mass; they generate much more antagonism than the fluff pieces on telly.
You think so do you? Well as someone who's not been on a CM and doesn't particularly want to I don't.

CM happens every month and makes the news maybe once or twice a year. About the same as the Hell Ride, maybe even less.

The biggest problem is modeism and we're ALL guilty of it. We don't see each other as people operating vehicles. We see each other as roadies, mtbers, commuter, commuting types, cagers, soccermoms, WVM. The negative behaviour exhibited by a minority of PEOPLE operating these modes of transport get ascribed to everyone who uses that mode.

How many of us in this forum have cursed the cager who's just cut us up and not the idiot behind the wheel? I'm putting my hand up, guilty as charged and it's not getting us anywhere.

Cycling's got it's share of scum bags as have motorists. The overwhelming majority are decent people who do the right thing. IMO we've got to get away from the mode one employs for transport and concentrate on the people operating the transport.

Hmmm, this is going a bit OT for this thread...:rolleyes:

cfsmtb wrote:
> MikeyOz Wrote:
>
>>.... who the hell is Jenny Ward anyway,

> The author of this & similar ****:
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/lbug/canetoads.html#canetoads

I thought Jenny Ward was doing us a favour. So easily recognisable to
anyone (cyclist or not) as someone without much of a clue. If she is the
best they can get for the drivers side, how good do we look.

DaveB

Email media watch and enjoy the show!

531Aussie said:
I'm sure this had been said a bazillion times before, but our biggest problem is Critical Mass; they generate much more antagonism than the fluff pieces on telly.
With respect, what a lot of rubbish.

Maybe the air IS different down in Melbourne.

Last week, I went on my first CM in Sydney as a bit of a lark.

I was shocked at the level of SUPPORT we were getting from the thousands of pedestrians we passed. Even the motorist we were distributing leaflets too we 99% supportive as they saw sense in the fact that we were actually being held up by the traffic.

Perhaps the more stuntish one (eg Harbour Bridge Ride) where traffic is temporarily blocked do get the media attention (as someone said) and a bit of public finger wagging. But a couple of times a year to illustrate our common sense cause - SO WHAT!!

Scotty

PS I mailed Media Watch last night