Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bbc3, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Bbc3

    Bbc3 Guest

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 16:52:22 GMT, BBC3 wrote:
    >[something]

    You know, there really will be a BBC 3 in a moment or so.

  3. easyrider

    easyrider New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2002
    I live just down the road from Fort Collins (in Greeley) and I can't say that I am happy to read this.

    Normally I oppose the death penalty...but this makes me feel :mad:

  4. BBC3 wrote:

    > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely out
    of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they scream rude
    things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.

    my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
    him on a bike since.

    i don't get it.

  5. Trdina

    Trdina Guest

    "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote
    > why are teenage boys so angry?

    No brains + Testosterone

    'nuff said.

  6. heather classic <[email protected]> writes:

    > BBC3 wrote:
    > >
    > > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
    > > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bill
    >
    > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
    > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
    > scream rude things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
    >
    > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
    > him on a bike since.
    >
    > i don't get it.

    Me either.

    -Gerard

    "Trial ordered for two teens in bicyclist attack" The San Diego Union - Tribune; San Diego, Calif.;
    Aug 24, 2000;
    J. Harry Jones;

    Words in Document: 399

    Abstract:

    William Scarf said he kept his eye on the car as he passed [Maureen Shiftan]. Then, Scarf said,
    through his rear-view mirror he saw the silver car swerve into the bike lane and sideswipe the
    bicyclist at about 40 mph.

    San Diego police Detective Dave Hendron testified that [Matthew Hines] admitted driving into the
    bike lane after [Joseph Adjukovich] told him to do so. Hines said that when the car was next to
    Shiftan, Adjukovich opened the car door and rammed the bike, the detective said.

    Adjukovich and Hines both also admitted robbing a girl near Prospect Street and Eads Avenue minutes
    before the assault on Shiftan, Hendron said.

    "Two men plead guilty to attempted murder | La Jolla bicyclist was purposely struck with car" The
    San Diego Union - Tribune; San Diego, Calif.; May 16, 2001;
    K. Harry Jones;

    Words in Document: 435

    Abstract:

    The victim, Maureen Shiftan, was seriously injured in the attack, suffering a broken pelvis and head
    injuries. Shiftan is a reporter who writes under the name Maureen Clancy for The San Diego Union-
    Tribune food section.

    At an earlier hearing, witnesses testified that Shiftan was riding along Torrey Pines Road between
    Hillside Drive and La Jolla Shores Road about 8:30 a.m. on May 7, 2000, when the car driven by
    [Matthew Hines] swerved into the bike lane.

    According to testimony, Hines confessed to police that he swerved at [Joseph Ajdukovich]'s
    urging, after which Ajdukovich opened the passenger door and struck Shiftan, sending her flying
    off the road.

    "Driver who rammed bicyclist gets 8 years" The San Diego Union - Tribune; San Diego, Calif.;
    Jun 14, 2001;
    L. Harry Jones;

    Words in Document: 490

    Abstract:

    Matthew Hines, 19, swerved into the bicycle lane along Torrey Pines Road in which Maureen Shiftan
    was pedaling north. A passenger in the car, Joseph Ajdukovich, then opened the car door and slammed
    it into Shiftan, who was knocked off her bicycle.

    Shiftan was seriously injured in the attack, suffering a broken pelvis and head injuries. Shiftan is
    a reporter who writes under the name Maureen Clancy for The San Diego Union-Tribune food section.

    William Scarf testified at an earlier court hearing that he kept his eye on the car as he passed
    Shiftan. In his rear-view mirror, Scarf said, he saw the silver car swerve into the bike lane and
    sideswipe the bicyclist at about 40 mph.

  7. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, heather classic <[email protected]> wrote:

    > BBC3 wrote:
    > >
    > > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
    > > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bill
    >
    > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
    > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
    > scream rude things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
    >
    > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
    > him on a bike since.
    >
    > i don't get it.

    A few years ago, I was riding on Foothill Expy (yeah, I know, parade ground of geeks) heading
    towards Cupertino. The shoulder is over eight feet wide there, and I was about two feet from the
    right edge. I heard a car approaching from behind and for some reason, I kind of hunkered down
    and moved further to the right. The car passed about six inches from my bar. And the teenage GIRL
    in the back, hanging out the window, took a swing at me. She missed, and her momentum almost
    carried her all the way out, but someone held her in. She'd probably have been run over by the
    car if she had come out. I might have been tempted to stop and give foot to mouth resuscitation.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  8. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    news:[email protected]netnews.attbi.com...
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > BBC3 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
    > > > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Bill
    > >
    > > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
    > > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
    > > scream rude things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
    > >
    > > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't
    > > seen him on a bike since.
    > >
    > > i don't get it.

    > A few years ago, I was riding on Foothill Expy (yeah, I know, parade
    ground of geeks) heading
    > towards Cupertino. The shoulder is over eight feet wide there, and I was
    about two feet from the
    > right edge. I heard a car approaching from behind and for some reason, I
    kind of hunkered down and
    > moved further to the right. The car passed about six inches from my bar.
    And the teenage GIRL in the
    > back, hanging out the window, took a swing at me. She missed, and her
    momentum almost carried her
    > all the way out, but someone held her in. She'd probably have been run
    over by the car if she had
    > come out. I might have been tempted to stop and give foot to mouth
    resuscitation.

    > --
    > tanx, Howard

    "might Have.." ????????????????????????????

    Danny Callen

  9. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    heather classic wrote:

    > BBC3 wrote:
    >
    >>Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>Bill
    >

    > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
    > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
    > scream rude things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
    >
    > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
    > him on a bike since.
    >
    > i don't get it.

    It's not just teenage boys. We have a mail alias for cyclists where I work in Longmont and an email
    thread about these attacks instantly turned into a Boulder vs. Ft. Collins flame war. Like they
    didn't have anything better to talk about.

    Bret

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "easyrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I live just down the road from Fort Collins (in Greeley) and I can't
    say
    > that I am happy to read this.
    >
    > Normally I oppose the death penalty...but this makes me feel :mad:

    Nah, simple penalty - the bicyclists get a free shot with a baseball bat.

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BBC3 wrote:
    > > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
    > > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
    >
    > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been
    skating IN
    > MY OWN LANE completely out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me
    > over, while they scream rude things
    like
    > "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
    >
    > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost
    > bunch of teeth. haven't seen him on a bike since.
    >
    > i don't get it.

    Sorry that has happened to you Heather. As long as cops take it as a joke and the DA doesn't
    prosecute stuff like that it will continue. The Three Strikes laws proved that these crimes are
    committed by a surprisingly small number of perpetrators. All it takes is the will of those whose
    responsibility it is to protect the community to do something about it.

  12. James

    James Guest

    "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
    > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
    > scream rude things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
    >
    > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
    > him on a bike since.
    >
    > i don't get it.

    Not as bad as your friend's, but here are a couple of my run in's with teens from last year.....

    The girlfriend and I were riding spring fall down a stretch of road that is very popular among
    cyclist. This particular road goes through the upper middle class section of town. We were minding
    out own business riding about 1' from the edge just right of or on the white line. I notice this car
    hanging back and not passing us when the road is clear. I'm getting a little worried since the
    girlfriend is behind me when the car starts to pass with some teenage idiot starts yelling out the
    window. They're pretty close and passing slowly so I'm concentrating on not running off the road and
    ditching it rather than looking at the car and the bonehead yelling. All I really noticed was the
    tail end of the blue Celica and the kid getting back in the car. After they go by the girlfriend
    starts yelling at me if I saw that. What I asked? Evidentally, the kid had a gun out the window
    pointed at my head! We immediately stopped and called the cops. Believe it or not they responded
    immediately and luckily had a crusier in the neighborhood. The crusier spotted them a couple of
    miles down the road. Turns out it was an air powered pellet pistol and as such it the only charge
    that could be leveled was meanacing. Also we couldn't positively identify the kid since neither of
    us got a good look at him so it wasn't probable for any type of charge to stick (according to the
    police). The police were extrememly helpful and did all that they could do. The one we spoke with
    while standing on the side of the road with our bikes making our statements assured us that the kids
    would be taken through the ringer as much as they could without leveling charges.

    Then on the same road, a few of us had a run in with getting repeatedly buzzed by a couple of
    teenage girls in a Jeep Cherokee. They couldn't have been more then 16 or 17 years old. On the first
    pass the passenger tried to reach out and grab the leader of our paceline. After the third time we
    stopped and I had the full waterbottle ready to thow at their windshield. They passed by without
    getting close that time and stopped about 50 yards down the road. So I got on the bike and started
    riding towards them while I acted like I was calling the cops with a cell phone - at which point
    they took off.

    I just don't get it either. Particularly with the neighborhood we were in. You would think these
    kids wouldn't be such delinquents.

    James

  13. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [...]
    > side of the road with our bikes making our statements assured us that the kids would be taken
    > through the ringer as much as they could without leveling charges.
    >
    > Then on the same road, a few of us had a run in with getting repeatedly buzzed by a couple of
    > teenage girls in a Jeep Cherokee. They couldn't have been more then 16 or 17 years old. On the
    > first pass the passenger tried
    > reach out and grab the leader of our paceline. After the third time we stopped and I had the full
    > waterbottle ready to thow at their windshield. They passed by without getting close that time and
    > stopped about 50 yards down the road. So I got on the bike and started riding towards them while
    > acted like I was calling the cops with a cell phone - at which point they took off.
    >
    > I just don't get it either. Particularly with the neighborhood we were in. You would think these

    That sucks! I have settled down in my "old age" but in my younger days, I was known to have caught a
    few culprits at a street light and pull them through their car window. I'm not a "bad ass" (maybe a
    little crazy though?) it just doesn't settle with me too well when someone endangers my life. Not
    really the thing to do with all the gun toting maniacs out there these days.

    About two years ago some kids shot me with a "blow dart". I didn't realize it until quite a few
    seconds later. I chased the hell out of the culprits. They ran a stop light and 4 wheeled it
    through a church yard. If I had caught them, I fear what I would have done. I did have presence of
    mind to get a license number. It happened relatively close to the Police station. I pulled into the
    Police station. My adrenalin was pumping so hard that I got confused with the license number even
    though I was chanting it to myself over and over. The Police were excellent and took as many
    numbers as I could verify along with a description. I don't think they were ver caught..

    Danny Callen

  14. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    ah, just some kids out having a little fun....lolololo

    the best part about it i love is when you get off the bike and they are looking up at you instead of
    eye to eye and they realize oh fuck, then they start to cry like a little baby before you knock the
    shit out of them. then you ride off and they have no way of knowing who the hell you were or where
    the cops can find you......now thats funnnnnnn...

    not that i have ever done or would do somehting like kick the shit out of a punk running his
    mouth......

    jtn Worlds leading authority on Peace and the brotherhood of mankind

  15. In the UK many riders use a wooden or plastic stick, light wood or PVC to keep cars at bay. It's
    light an emergency warning stick or something however odd you might want to call it. It is painted
    or taped with bans of red, black and white so as to be seen very distinctly and is about two feet
    long. They fasten this stick to their bike rack so that is sticks out two feet to the left of them
    forcing cars to clear them with as least two feet when they pass. I understand it works well to keep
    cars from passing you with only inches to spare which really pisses off some riders. I always hated
    that. I wonder how many drivers have been flipped off by riders who almost got brushed by cars.
    Millions I am sure. This safety stick alerts drivers to steer clear because ironically from what I
    understand most people don't want to have their paint scratched on their cars by brushing against
    the stick. In UK roads are narrow. Some bloke thought that one up. Some riders even make a point or
    a jagged end on the stick which really alerts drivers because they don't want their car scratched.

    Bruce

  16. On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:42:48 -0800, Bruce Johnston wrote:
    >bike rack

    AAAARRGHGH!!

  17. Omc

    Omc Guest

    "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
    > > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
    > > scream rude things like "don't fall bitch" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.

    Their not angry, it's the power they get from being behind the wheel and the abilty to harrass
    cyclists knowing they can get away with it. Would they dare take that same chance if you were in
    your vehicle ?

    > I just don't get it either. Particularly with the neighborhood we were in. You would think these
    > kids wouldn't be such delinquents.

    Neighborhood has nothing to do with it. Riding in upper class areas don't mean shit. Some the worst
    teenagers live there. They drive as fast as they want, and do what ever they want. Their "Daddy"
    will pay their fines and get them the best attorney money can buy. You can forget getting much
    sympathy from law enforcement, they view the bicycle vs. auto as low priority. I can't count the
    number of times I've been told by cops that I shouldn't be on a particular road, even though it is a
    designated bike route because it was too dangerous. To be involved in an accident and to have some
    fat ass, donut munching, three pack a day cop tell me it was my fault for picking a bike route (with
    bike lane) to commute to work on. I got hit from behind by some asshole using the bike lane to turn
    into a gas station. I was following all the rules, while this ass was talking on the cell phone and
    speeding. He stated that he didn't see me and didn't expect to see a cyclist in the bike lane ! The
    injuries were minor, collarbone and some roadrash. The bike took the brunt of it. The first cop
    wasn't even going to cite the guy, but the area police supervisor didn't like the the drivers
    attitude and did cite him. It took 6 months to get the bike and medical taken care of. There was
    attitude from the cop, driver and insurance people all along the way. Regarding menacing
    teenagers..........Glock actually makes a very light weight, 13 round, semi automatic 9mm ! That
    would certainly even up the odds against that Easton baseball bat.

    OMC

  18. James

    James Guest

    "OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > Their not angry, it's the power they get from being behind the wheel and the abilty to harrass
    > cyclists knowing they can get away with it. Would they dare take that same chance if you were in
    > your vehicle ?

    Don't know about the last statement. We just had another 2 deaths locally that were caused from Road
    Rage. An idiot behind the wheel forced a lady off the road and into oncomming traffic. Maybe they
    would and maybe they wouldn't. Bike or car, you can't tell these days.

    <snip>
    > You can forget getting much sympathy from law enforcement, they view the bicycle vs. auto as low
    > priority. I can't count the number of times I've been told by cops that I shouldn't be on a
    > particular road, even though it is a designated bike route because it was too dangerous.

    That's too bad about the police in your area. The ones here are actually pretty good about helping
    us. The one that took our statement from the putz with the pellet gun was a cyclist too. Even though
    there isn't a bike lane (can't put one in with out removing land from some notable resident's
    yards), they city has been very helpful with cycling in this area. Putting up share the road signs,
    beefing up patorls during peak times, and the like.

    <snip again>
    > Regarding menacing teenagers..........Glock actually makes a very light weight, 13 round, semi
    > automatic 9mm ! That would certainly even up the odds against that Easton baseball bat.

    I'm not willing to go to that extreeme. The moment you strap a gun on, you better be prepared to
    pull it out. And once you un-holster it out you better be committed to using it or you will just put
    yourself in a worse position if they have a gun as well. I'm not prepared to shoot anyone. I've
    friends and in-laws that own guns. I've been to the range many times (both rifle and pistol). Guns
    just aren't for me.

    James

  19. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > >

    > > Their not angry, it's the power they get from being behind the wheel and the abilty to harrass
    > > cyclists knowing they can get away with it. Would they dare take that same chance if you were in
    > > your vehicle ?
    > >

    > Don't know about the last statement. We just had another 2 deaths locally that were caused from
    > Road Rage. An idiot behind the wheel forced a lady off the road and into oncomming traffic. Maybe
    > they would and maybe they wouldn't. Bike or car, you can't tell these days.
    >

    > <snip>
    > > You can forget getting much sympathy from law enforcement, they view the bicycle vs. auto as low
    > > priority. I can't count the number of times I've been told by cops that I shouldn't be on a
    > > particular road, even though it is a designated bike route because it was too dangerous.
    >
    > That's too bad about the police in your area. The ones here are actually pretty good about helping
    > us. The one that took our statement from the
    putz
    > with the pellet gun was a cyclist too. Even though there isn't a bike
    lane
    > (can't put one in with out removing land from some notable resident's yards), they city has been
    > very helpful with cycling in this area.
    Putting
    > up share the road signs, beefing up patorls during peak times, and the
    like.

    > <snip again>
    > > Regarding menacing teenagers..........Glock actually makes a very light weight, 13 round, semi
    > > automatic 9mm ! That would certainly even up the odds against that Easton baseball bat.
    > >

    > I'm not willing to go to that extreeme. The moment you strap a gun on,
    you
    > better be prepared to pull it out. And once you un-holster it out you better be committed to using
    > it or you will just put yourself in a worse position if they have a gun as well. I'm not prepared
    > to shoot anyone. I've friends and in-laws that own guns. I've been to the range many times (both
    > rifle and pistol). Guns just aren't for me.
    >
    > James

    I'm not a gun-toter either and don't want to be. But what I am is someone that would give an officer
    a major tongue lashing if they treated me as if it was no big deal. Especially with injuries. I
    wonder if most cyclist are passive and just take it? I know if someone hit me from behind and it was
    their fault, they'd likely be paying me their salary for the rest of their life. It needs to be
    appropriate of course but legal action is an option.

    Danny Callen

  20. James

    James Guest

    "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    <snip>

    > I'm not a gun-toter either and don't want to be. But what I am is someone that would give an
    > officer a major tongue lashing if they treated me as if it was no big deal. Especially with
    > injuries. I wonder if most cyclist are passive and just take it? I know if someone hit me from
    > behind and it was their fault, they'd likely be paying me their salary for the rest of their life.
    > It needs to be appropriate of course but legal action is an option.

    I'm in total agreement with you there. I'm against frivolous lawsuits like the last one against
    McDonalds for making the kid fat, but I would definitely be seeking restitution on something like
    that. I would also have a little talk with the Police Chief and the a member or two of the City
    Council if I was treated that way by the officer. Since it sounds like the he needs a little
    reminder of his job. It's just too bad that there are officers on departments all over that are like
    that. I guess I'm just lucky that where we ride the police tend to treat us well.