Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 16:52:22 GMT, BBC3 wrote:
>[something]

You know, there really will be a BBC 3 in a moment or so.

I live just down the road from Fort Collins (in Greeley) and I can't say that I am happy to read this.

Normally I oppose the death penalty...but this makes me feel :mad:

BBC3 wrote:

> Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
>
> --
> Bill

why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely out
of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they scream rude
things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.

my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
him on a bike since.

i don't get it.

heather classic <[email protected]> writes:

> BBC3 wrote:
> >
> > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
> > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
> >
> > --
> > Bill
>
> why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
> out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
> scream rude things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
>
> my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
> him on a bike since.
>
> i don't get it.

Me either.

-Gerard

"Trial ordered for two teens in bicyclist attack" The San Diego Union - Tribune; San Diego, Calif.;
Aug 24, 2000;
J. Harry Jones;

Words in Document: 399

Abstract:

William Scarf said he kept his eye on the car as he passed [Maureen Shiftan]. Then, Scarf said,
through his rear-view mirror he saw the silver car swerve into the bike lane and sideswipe the
bicyclist at about 40 mph.

San Diego police Detective Dave Hendron testified that [Matthew Hines] admitted driving into the
bike lane after [Joseph Adjukovich] told him to do so. Hines said that when the car was next to
Shiftan, Adjukovich opened the car door and rammed the bike, the detective said.

Adjukovich and Hines both also admitted robbing a girl near Prospect Street and Eads Avenue minutes
before the assault on Shiftan, Hendron said.

"Two men plead guilty to attempted murder | La Jolla bicyclist was purposely struck with car" The
San Diego Union - Tribune; San Diego, Calif.; May 16, 2001;
K. Harry Jones;

Words in Document: 435

Abstract:

The victim, Maureen Shiftan, was seriously injured in the attack, suffering a broken pelvis and head
injuries. Shiftan is a reporter who writes under the name Maureen Clancy for The San Diego Union-
Tribune food section.

At an earlier hearing, witnesses testified that Shiftan was riding along Torrey Pines Road between
Hillside Drive and La Jolla Shores Road about 8:30 a.m. on May 7, 2000, when the car driven by
[Matthew Hines] swerved into the bike lane.

According to testimony, Hines confessed to police that he swerved at [Joseph Ajdukovich]'s
urging, after which Ajdukovich opened the passenger door and struck Shiftan, sending her flying
off the road.

"Driver who rammed bicyclist gets 8 years" The San Diego Union - Tribune; San Diego, Calif.;
Jun 14, 2001;
L. Harry Jones;

Words in Document: 490

Abstract:

Matthew Hines, 19, swerved into the bicycle lane along Torrey Pines Road in which Maureen Shiftan
was pedaling north. A passenger in the car, Joseph Ajdukovich, then opened the car door and slammed
it into Shiftan, who was knocked off her bicycle.

Shiftan was seriously injured in the attack, suffering a broken pelvis and head injuries. Shiftan is
a reporter who writes under the name Maureen Clancy for The San Diego Union-Tribune food section.

William Scarf testified at an earlier court hearing that he kept his eye on the car as he passed
Shiftan. In his rear-view mirror, Scarf said, he saw the silver car swerve into the bike lane and

In article <[email protected]>, heather classic <[email protected]> wrote:

> BBC3 wrote:
> >
> > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
> > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
> >
> > --
> > Bill
>
> why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
> out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
> scream rude things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
>
> my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
> him on a bike since.
>
> i don't get it.

A few years ago, I was riding on Foothill Expy (yeah, I know, parade ground of geeks) heading
towards Cupertino. The shoulder is over eight feet wide there, and I was about two feet from the
right edge. I heard a car approaching from behind and for some reason, I kind of hunkered down
and moved further to the right. The car passed about six inches from my bar. And the teenage GIRL
in the back, hanging out the window, took a swing at me. She missed, and her momentum almost
carried her all the way out, but someone held her in. She'd probably have been run over by the
car if she had come out. I might have been tempted to stop and give foot to mouth resuscitation.

--
tanx, Howard

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

news:[email protected]...
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > BBC3 wrote:
> > >
> > > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
> > > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill
> >
> > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
> > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
> > scream rude things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
> >
> > my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't
> > seen him on a bike since.
> >
> > i don't get it.

> A few years ago, I was riding on Foothill Expy (yeah, I know, parade
ground of geeks) heading
> towards Cupertino. The shoulder is over eight feet wide there, and I was
about two feet from the
> right edge. I heard a car approaching from behind and for some reason, I
kind of hunkered down and
> moved further to the right. The car passed about six inches from my bar.
And the teenage GIRL in the
> back, hanging out the window, took a swing at me. She missed, and her
momentum almost carried her
> all the way out, but someone held her in. She'd probably have been run
over by the car if she had
> come out. I might have been tempted to stop and give foot to mouth
resuscitation.

> --
> tanx, Howard

"might Have.." ????????????????????????????

Danny Callen

heather classic wrote:

> BBC3 wrote:
>
>>Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
>>
>>--
>>Bill
>

> why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
> out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
> scream rude things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
>
> my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
> him on a bike since.
>
> i don't get it.

It's not just teenage boys. We have a mail alias for cyclists where I work in Longmont and an email
thread about these attacks instantly turned into a Boulder vs. Ft. Collins flame war. Like they
didn't have anything better to talk about.

Bret

"easyrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I live just down the road from Fort Collins (in Greeley) and I can't
say
> that I am happy to read this.
>
> Normally I oppose the death penalty...but this makes me feel :mad:

Nah, simple penalty - the bicyclists get a free shot with a baseball bat.

"heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BBC3 wrote:
> > Charges Filed in 'Bicycle Boxing' Attack
> > http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1957839/detail.html
>
> why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been
skating IN
> MY OWN LANE completely out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me
> over, while they scream rude things
like
> "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
>
> my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost
> bunch of teeth. haven't seen him on a bike since.
>
> i don't get it.

Sorry that has happened to you Heather. As long as cops take it as a joke and the DA doesn't
prosecute stuff like that it will continue. The Three Strikes laws proved that these crimes are
committed by a surprisingly small number of perpetrators. All it takes is the will of those whose
responsibility it is to protect the community to do something about it.

"heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
> out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
> scream rude things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.
>
> my friend was once hit in the head with a bat while riding and lost a bunch of teeth. haven't seen
> him on a bike since.
>
> i don't get it.

Not as bad as your friend's, but here are a couple of my run in's with teens from last year.....

The girlfriend and I were riding spring fall down a stretch of road that is very popular among
cyclist. This particular road goes through the upper middle class section of town. We were minding
out own business riding about 1' from the edge just right of or on the white line. I notice this car
hanging back and not passing us when the road is clear. I'm getting a little worried since the
girlfriend is behind me when the car starts to pass with some teenage idiot starts yelling out the
window. They're pretty close and passing slowly so I'm concentrating on not running off the road and
ditching it rather than looking at the car and the bonehead yelling. All I really noticed was the
tail end of the blue Celica and the kid getting back in the car. After they go by the girlfriend
starts yelling at me if I saw that. What I asked? Evidentally, the kid had a gun out the window
pointed at my head! We immediately stopped and called the cops. Believe it or not they responded
immediately and luckily had a crusier in the neighborhood. The crusier spotted them a couple of
miles down the road. Turns out it was an air powered pellet pistol and as such it the only charge
that could be leveled was meanacing. Also we couldn't positively identify the kid since neither of
us got a good look at him so it wasn't probable for any type of charge to stick (according to the
police). The police were extrememly helpful and did all that they could do. The one we spoke with
while standing on the side of the road with our bikes making our statements assured us that the kids
would be taken through the ringer as much as they could without leveling charges.

Then on the same road, a few of us had a run in with getting repeatedly buzzed by a couple of
teenage girls in a Jeep Cherokee. They couldn't have been more then 16 or 17 years old. On the first
pass the passenger tried to reach out and grab the leader of our paceline. After the third time we
stopped and I had the full waterbottle ready to thow at their windshield. They passed by without
getting close that time and stopped about 50 yards down the road. So I got on the bike and started
riding towards them while I acted like I was calling the cops with a cell phone - at which point
they took off.

I just don't get it either. Particularly with the neighborhood we were in. You would think these
kids wouldn't be such delinquents.

James

"James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [...]
> side of the road with our bikes making our statements assured us that the kids would be taken
> through the ringer as much as they could without leveling charges.
>
> Then on the same road, a few of us had a run in with getting repeatedly buzzed by a couple of
> teenage girls in a Jeep Cherokee. They couldn't have been more then 16 or 17 years old. On the
> first pass the passenger tried
> reach out and grab the leader of our paceline. After the third time we stopped and I had the full
> waterbottle ready to thow at their windshield. They passed by without getting close that time and
> stopped about 50 yards down the road. So I got on the bike and started riding towards them while
> acted like I was calling the cops with a cell phone - at which point they took off.
>
> I just don't get it either. Particularly with the neighborhood we were in. You would think these

That sucks! I have settled down in my "old age" but in my younger days, I was known to have caught a
few culprits at a street light and pull them through their car window. I'm not a "bad ass" (maybe a
little crazy though?) it just doesn't settle with me too well when someone endangers my life. Not
really the thing to do with all the gun toting maniacs out there these days.

About two years ago some kids shot me with a "blow dart". I didn't realize it until quite a few
seconds later. I chased the hell out of the culprits. They ran a stop light and 4 wheeled it
through a church yard. If I had caught them, I fear what I would have done. I did have presence of
mind to get a license number. It happened relatively close to the Police station. I pulled into the
Police station. My adrenalin was pumping so hard that I got confused with the license number even
though I was chanting it to myself over and over. The Police were excellent and took as many
numbers as I could verify along with a description. I don't think they were ver caught..

Danny Callen

ah, just some kids out having a little fun....lolololo

the best part about it i love is when you get off the bike and they are looking up at you instead of
eye to eye and they realize oh ****, then they start to cry like a little baby before you knock the
**** out of them. then you ride off and they have no way of knowing who the hell you were or where
the cops can find you......now thats funnnnnnn...

not that i have ever done or would do somehting like kick the **** out of a punk running his
mouth......

jtn Worlds leading authority on Peace and the brotherhood of mankind

In the UK many riders use a wooden or plastic stick, light wood or PVC to keep cars at bay. It's
light an emergency warning stick or something however odd you might want to call it. It is painted
or taped with bans of red, black and white so as to be seen very distinctly and is about two feet
long. They fasten this stick to their bike rack so that is sticks out two feet to the left of them
forcing cars to clear them with as least two feet when they pass. I understand it works well to keep
cars from passing you with only inches to spare which really pisses off some riders. I always hated
that. I wonder how many drivers have been flipped off by riders who almost got brushed by cars.
Millions I am sure. This safety stick alerts drivers to steer clear because ironically from what I
understand most people don't want to have their paint scratched on their cars by brushing against
the stick. In UK roads are narrow. Some bloke thought that one up. Some riders even make a point or
a jagged end on the stick which really alerts drivers because they don't want their car scratched.

Bruce

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:42:48 -0800, Bruce Johnston wrote:
>bike rack

AAAARRGHGH!!

"James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > why are teenage boys so angry? several times, while i've been skating IN MY OWN LANE completely
> > out of the way of traffic, a car full of kids veers into my lane forcing me over, while they
> > scream rude things like "don't fall *****" at the top of their lungs 6 inches from my head.

Their not angry, it's the power they get from being behind the wheel and the abilty to harrass
cyclists knowing they can get away with it. Would they dare take that same chance if you were in
your vehicle ?

> I just don't get it either. Particularly with the neighborhood we were in. You would think these
> kids wouldn't be such delinquents.

Neighborhood has nothing to do with it. Riding in upper class areas don't mean ****. Some the worst
teenagers live there. They drive as fast as they want, and do what ever they want. Their "Daddy"
will pay their fines and get them the best attorney money can buy. You can forget getting much
sympathy from law enforcement, they view the bicycle vs. auto as low priority. I can't count the
number of times I've been told by cops that I shouldn't be on a particular road, even though it is a
designated bike route because it was too dangerous. To be involved in an accident and to have some
fat ass, donut munching, three pack a day cop tell me it was my fault for picking a bike route (with
bike lane) to commute to work on. I got hit from behind by some asshole using the bike lane to turn
into a gas station. I was following all the rules, while this ass was talking on the cell phone and
speeding. He stated that he didn't see me and didn't expect to see a cyclist in the bike lane ! The
injuries were minor, collarbone and some roadrash. The bike took the brunt of it. The first cop
wasn't even going to cite the guy, but the area police supervisor didn't like the the drivers
attitude and did cite him. It took 6 months to get the bike and medical taken care of. There was
attitude from the cop, driver and insurance people all along the way. Regarding menacing
teenagers..........Glock actually makes a very light weight, 13 round, semi automatic 9mm ! That
would certainly even up the odds against that Easton baseball bat.

OMC

"OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >

> Their not angry, it's the power they get from being behind the wheel and the abilty to harrass
> cyclists knowing they can get away with it. Would they dare take that same chance if you were in
> your vehicle ?

Don't know about the last statement. We just had another 2 deaths locally that were caused from Road
Rage. An idiot behind the wheel forced a lady off the road and into oncomming traffic. Maybe they
would and maybe they wouldn't. Bike or car, you can't tell these days.

<snip>
> You can forget getting much sympathy from law enforcement, they view the bicycle vs. auto as low
> priority. I can't count the number of times I've been told by cops that I shouldn't be on a
> particular road, even though it is a designated bike route because it was too dangerous.

That's too bad about the police in your area. The ones here are actually pretty good about helping
us. The one that took our statement from the putz with the pellet gun was a cyclist too. Even though
there isn't a bike lane (can't put one in with out removing land from some notable resident's
yards), they city has been very helpful with cycling in this area. Putting up share the road signs,
beefing up patorls during peak times, and the like.

<snip again>
> Regarding menacing teenagers..........Glock actually makes a very light weight, 13 round, semi
> automatic 9mm ! That would certainly even up the odds against that Easton baseball bat.

I'm not willing to go to that extreeme. The moment you strap a gun on, you better be prepared to
pull it out. And once you un-holster it out you better be committed to using it or you will just put
yourself in a worse position if they have a gun as well. I'm not prepared to shoot anyone. I've
friends and in-laws that own guns. I've been to the range many times (both rifle and pistol). Guns
just aren't for me.

James

"James" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "heather classic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > >

> > Their not angry, it's the power they get from being behind the wheel and the abilty to harrass
> > cyclists knowing they can get away with it. Would they dare take that same chance if you were in
> > your vehicle ?
> >

> Don't know about the last statement. We just had another 2 deaths locally that were caused from
> Road Rage. An idiot behind the wheel forced a lady off the road and into oncomming traffic. Maybe
> they would and maybe they wouldn't. Bike or car, you can't tell these days.
>

> <snip>
> > You can forget getting much sympathy from law enforcement, they view the bicycle vs. auto as low
> > priority. I can't count the number of times I've been told by cops that I shouldn't be on a
> > particular road, even though it is a designated bike route because it was too dangerous.
>
> That's too bad about the police in your area. The ones here are actually pretty good about helping
> us. The one that took our statement from the
putz
> with the pellet gun was a cyclist too. Even though there isn't a bike
lane
> (can't put one in with out removing land from some notable resident's yards), they city has been
> very helpful with cycling in this area.
Putting
> up share the road signs, beefing up patorls during peak times, and the
like.

> <snip again>
> > Regarding menacing teenagers..........Glock actually makes a very light weight, 13 round, semi
> > automatic 9mm ! That would certainly even up the odds against that Easton baseball bat.
> >

> I'm not willing to go to that extreeme. The moment you strap a gun on,
you
> better be prepared to pull it out. And once you un-holster it out you better be committed to using
> it or you will just put yourself in a worse position if they have a gun as well. I'm not prepared
> to shoot anyone. I've friends and in-laws that own guns. I've been to the range many times (both
> rifle and pistol). Guns just aren't for me.
>
> James

I'm not a gun-toter either and don't want to be. But what I am is someone that would give an officer
a major tongue lashing if they treated me as if it was no big deal. Especially with injuries. I
wonder if most cyclist are passive and just take it? I know if someone hit me from behind and it was
their fault, they'd likely be paying me their salary for the rest of their life. It needs to be
appropriate of course but legal action is an option.

Danny Callen

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> I'm not a gun-toter either and don't want to be. But what I am is someone that would give an
> officer a major tongue lashing if they treated me as if it was no big deal. Especially with
> injuries. I wonder if most cyclist are passive and just take it? I know if someone hit me from
> behind and it was their fault, they'd likely be paying me their salary for the rest of their life.
> It needs to be appropriate of course but legal action is an option.

I'm in total agreement with you there. I'm against frivolous lawsuits like the last one against
McDonalds for making the kid fat, but I would definitely be seeking restitution on something like
that. I would also have a little talk with the Police Chief and the a member or two of the City
Council if I was treated that way by the officer. Since it sounds like the he needs a little
reminder of his job. It's just too bad that there are officers on departments all over that are like
that. I guess I'm just lucky that where we ride the police tend to treat us well.