Charging batteries for phones and GPS whilst on tour

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by bicyclerubber, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bicyclerubber

bicyclerubber New Member

I am thinking about the best option for charging phone and GPS batteries whilst on tour.

I found a product called the Freeplay Zipcharge that seems to be designed with this in mind and did a bit of research. It has some sort of battery in that can be charged very quickly and then that battery is used to trickle charge a phone / GPS battery. Basically it allows you to scavenge power - just 10 minutes plugged in and its 90% charged, 15 minutes and its full. It has 1100 mAh capacity, which is plenty to give a decent charge to either of my devices.

I am pretty sure I will be near enough to civilisation regularly enough to charge it up and it can be carried then as a spare battery I suppose.

Has anyone used one? Is it any good?

TIA

Tags:

2. NoRacer

NoRacer New Member

I carry two of these--my phone uses a micro-USB port for charging (the version I have comes with a micro-to-mini USB adapter cord):

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/98782-Motorola-P790-Portable-Charger/dp/B000JLL14E"]Amazon.com: Motorola P790 Portable Charger: Cell Phones & Service[/ame]

...and a spare battery just in case.

The P790s can be recharged via USB.

3. Worky

Worky New Member