charity bike ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by gmj, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. gmj

    gmj New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2004
    I am taking part in a Charity bike ride to take place in Septemeber over the course of 3 days. I am part of a relay team of nine who will cycle in pairs with vehicle support in tow.

    I am hoping to tap into the extensive data bank of road users who frequent this forum to derive the quickest routes between the following locations.

    Day 1 - Stockton-on-Tees to Sheffield Airport
    Day 2 - Sheffield Airport to Oxford Business Park, Garsington
    Day 3 - Oxford Business Park, Garsington to Christchurch.

    The only rule is that dual carriageways are not allowed to be used unless where no other route is available.

    Our team does not contain any cycling enthusiasts so we are looking to avoid hilly routes.

    Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as there are 4 teams partaking with a lot of pride at stake.

    Tags:

  2. Glm

    Glm Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:08:43 +1000, gmj
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am taking part in a Charity bike ride to take place in Septemeber over
    > the course of 3 days. I am part of a relay team of nine who will cycle
    > in pairs with vehicle support in tow.
    >
    > I am hoping to tap into the extensive data bank of road users who
    > frequent this forum to derive the quickest routes between the following
    > locations.
    >
    > Day 1 - Stockton-on-Tees to Sheffield Airport
    > Day 2 - Sheffield Airport to Oxford Business Park, Garsington
    > Day 3 - Oxford Business Park, Garsington to Christchurch.
    >
    > The only rule is that dual carriageways are not allowed to be used
    > unless where no other route is available.
    >
    > Our team does not contain any cycling enthusiasts so we are looking to
    > avoid hilly routes.
    >
    > Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as there are 4
    > teams partaking with a lot of pride at stake.

    I've not cycled in England for many years, but when I was planning long
    rides as a teenager we always used the Ordnance Survey maps. You could
    use these to plot the route mile by mile; and it would, I am sure, be
    easier than recalling the route from memory, which is what a Usenet poster
    would have to do.

    I believe that these maps give an indication of gradient and road type.

    I just visited their web site, http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk, and it
    seems that they have both electronic and paper maps these days.

    Glm

  3. On 2004-08-17 11:08 +0000, gmj wrote:

    > I am taking part in a Charity bike ride to take place in Septemeber over
    > the course of 3 days. I am part of a relay team of nine who will cycle
    > in pairs with vehicle support in tow.
    >
    > I am hoping to tap into the extensive data bank of road users who
    > frequent this forum to derive the quickest routes between the following
    > locations.

    [...]

    > Day 2 - Sheffield Airport to Oxford Business Park, Garsington

    Sounds like what I did (in reverse) at the end of last month, admittedly
    over two days. Get hold of some Ordnace Survey "Road" series (in green,
    1:250_000) and "Route" series (in blue, 1:625_000), for the major
    inter-city part of the planning, plus some from the "Landranger"
    1:25_000 series (pink) for use in the the tricky bits in and around
    towns. Draw a straight line between the points, and pick the path
    nearest to that line that avoids the bits you don't want to visit...

    > The only rule is that dual carriageways are not allowed to be used
    > unless where no other route is available.

    I was following Roman roads a good deal of the time. They're mostly
    single-carriageway and straight, but not flat.

    From your POV, I did Sheffield - Dore - Chesterfield - Clay Cross, then
    Ryknild Street to Horsly, Dale Abbey - Risley, cross the river Trent nr
    Long Eaton, Diseworth - Coalville - Newbold, then onto the Fosse Way via
    High Cross (where it crosses Watling Street).

    It's a good idea to go through Cropredy via Priors Marston at some
    point, and then hit the Banbury - Oxford Road by going south of Banbury.
    You could use the A423 instead if you wanted, but I decided not to. The
    Banbury road is OK if you're travelling on a weekday, but there's a
    short stretch of dual carriageway which'll take some minutes to go
    around. Frankly, I found the dual easier than the single, but YMMV.

    > Our team does not contain any cycling enthusiasts so we are looking to
    > avoid hilly routes.

    There are some pretty unavoidable ones up North, but it does tend to
    flatten out towards Oxford. The Amber Valley (S. of Clay Cross) is
    pretty but lumpy round the edges, and it's a little off the direct line.

    Tea and lunch stops... I recommend the Durham Ox pub in Street Lane,
    Denby, and the farm teashop (Near Meadow Farm, I think) between Breaston
    and Risley.

    > Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as there are 4
    > teams partaking with a lot of pride at stake.

    Best of luck. By the way, if your Oxford Business Park meeting point is
    the Cancer Research UK office there, give us a wave. I work in the
    building directly opposite.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick
    You never hear a Cricket crowd chanting "who's the bastard in the hat?"