Charity Ride "Cost"

DCwom

Jul 25, 2006
I've searched the archives for a similar thread but have found none...

I'm wondering how riders feel about the price tag on some charity rides. Do you think some price themselves out of many would be riders? $25 - $30 for a cuesheet and a rest stop or two is about my limit, but that's just me. When I see $150+ pledge minimums I don't even consider such a ride, although they never seem to be short of riders, I wonder how many more would participate if it wasn't so pricy.

I just received info from Team in Training and they have a Century ride coming up in November. The minimum donation is $2200. Now they do put you up in a hotel and they spend time training you, but to me that still seems a little steep. Afterall, I could train with my riding buddies, pay for my own hotel, and probably still raise several hundred dollars for them.

The MS 150 in New Bern, NC has a $35 registration fee plus a minimum of $200 in donations. That does not include travel or hotel room for a minimum of two nights. Despite this, they will have more than 1500 riders and raise more than $1.1 million. For many of these events, the high fees and donation requirements are needed to keep the number of riders to a manageable number.

I am sure they could have more riders if the minimum contribution was less. They might even be able to raise a little more money with more riders; however, 1500 riders is about all they can handle.

The MS 150 in New Bern, NC has a $35 registration fee plus a minimum of $200 in donations. That does not include travel or hotel room for a minimum of two nights. Despite this, they will have more than 1500 riders and raise more than $1.1 million. For many of these events, the high fees and donation requirements are needed to keep the number of riders to a manageable number.

I am sure they could have more riders if the minimum contribution was less. They might even be able to raise a little more money with more riders; however, 1500 riders is about all they can handle.
Yeah, I understand the "BIG" rides (i.e. multi day rides) that have lots of participants, and logistics. But as a "non-century" rider, I find charity rides that offer short distances (10, 25, 35) you don't get very much other than a cue sheet and maybe a visit to one or two rest stops, something the average club event gives you for about $30.

I think some of the charity rides are over priced but it is for charity. I think the people who do ride are big into donations, I am sure these are also tax deductible in some situations. Being able to enjoy something you love to do and help others out at the same time is a pretty cool thing. As far as getting more people I think RickF is right these rides set the prices so they can get just as many people as they need.

Setting lower min donation and getting more people would yield the same donation totals as less people and higher min donations. This way they are able to efficiently allocate their resources (supply donations and volunteers) to satisfy the number of riders.

Most centuries and charity rides have rider maximums imposed by the local authorities. If they don't have any problem getting the limit, why would they reduce the fees? In the Bay Area at least they're frequently full several weeks ahead of time. Still, it would be a nice gesture to say "If you get $500 in donations we'll waive your fee".

Tour de Cure's been getting $1,000 a year from my sponsors... it's always seemed distasteful to bicker with them about fees. I'd like to think the fees cover the cost of the ride and the donations are pure benefit to the charity but it's probably not that simple.

Non charity rides are typically $25 - $40 around here so if the charity folks put on a good event I don't mind. If not there's always a club century the same weekend.

The thing that gets me about some organized rides is that they charge too much and you don't get much in return. If I pay forty or fifty bucks for a ride, I want a can or two of cold soda for lunch--not the same PowerAde/GatorAde that is at every other stop. Bought in bulk a couple of cans would cost a bloody fifty cents out of my entry fee.

Generally I don't care about the causes being promoted by different rides. I just want to knock out a hundred miles over roads I do not usually train on. So when the price is increased so the organizers can play the charity card, I am not too happy. Maybe it helps with the permit process; I don't know.

Our local MS150 went from $150 minimum to $200 to $300. At $300 they started losing riders, including me, so they went back to $200.
Another thing to consider is how much of the money raised to research and how much goes to advertising.
If I find a charity that puts more than 50% into research, I'll ride.

DCwom said:

I'm wondering how riders feel about the price tag on some charity rides. Do you think some price themselves out of many would be riders? $25 - $30 for a cuesheet and a rest stop or two is about my limit, but that's just me. When I see $150+ pledge minimums I don't even consider such a ride, although they never seem to be short of riders, I wonder how many more would participate if it wasn't so pricy.
From an Australian perspecitive, there are not a lot of charity rides, but those that I know of have range from $700 to $5000. both over a week and 1000km.

As you can imagine the $5000 ride is exclusive and only usually attracts 25-30 rides each year (both Annual events) This ride also costs the rider $1400 for the week in accomodation and food expenses. So the ride really isn't about raising money for charity, if it was it wouldn't be so expensive !

The other end of the scale is a "youth off the streets" ride. one that I completed for the first time this year.

http://sydney2surfers2006.blogspot.com/

This ride is a true charity ride, it raises funds for disadvantaged kids and the organisers have structured it so that the cost is $700, but if you fundraise a total of $1500 you get to ride for free. A great incentive for the rider. This ride is for the real cyclist, with graded groups depending on ability and support staff that look after your every need.

This ride is capped at 100 riders due mainly to road safety and accommodation and food catering. Every year the organisers get a full quota of riders, but through common sense they have not increased the cost to the rider because it's the fundrasing efforts of the riders that determine the success of the event.

In essesence a rider who thinks their getting value for money will raise more funds than a discouraged one, regardless of the charity cause.

Chance3290 said:
Our local MS150 went from $150 minimum to $200 to $300. At $300 they started losing riders, including me, so they went back to $200.
Another thing to consider is how much of the money raised to research and how much goes to advertising.
If I find a charity that puts more than 50% into research, I'll ride.
Chance at 99cents/dollar I'll expect to see you signed up to ride the PMC next year! I rode last year registered for $150 and had to raise a minimum of $3000. This year my wife and I are riding and along with the same reg. fee pp we have to raise $5600. Each year the minimum is raised by $300. There is no shortage of riders and this year they added 2 new routes and still had to limit the rider amounts.
Here's a cut from the PMC website:
The PMC Philosophy
While there are today many athletic fundraising events, the PMC is arguably the most successful in terms of the money raised and the percentage of funds it contributes directly to charity. In 2005, 99 percent of all funds raised by PMC riders went directly to the Jimmy Fund. Only one cent of each dollar raised through riders' sweat and determination was used for administrative and organizational expenses. The PMC is considered the leanest fundraising operation in the nation today.

Starr's commitment to running the efficient non-profit is testament to his savvy business skills, his organizational fortitude, and that enduring lesson he learned while on that cold, wet walk in the woods. "The success of this event is due to the fact that all PMC riders are encouraged (actually, required) to take their fundraising commitment as seriously as their physical commitment to ride the event" Starr says.

This summer, each of the 4,000 cyclists will commit to raising thousands of dollars for the privilege of being a member of the PMC team. The majority of PMC participants, however, exceeds the minimum contribution and raises more than twice the amount required.

In the same vein, Starr organizes and relies upon thousands of volunteers to orchestrate the three-day event. From mapping the route, to constructing water and food stops, to ensuring medial attention and safety for thousands, 2,222 PMC volunteers commit their time, resources, and energy to the event without financial compensation. The team effort that makes the PMC the success it is today is a product of Starr¡¦s philosophy that those who commit themselves in full are those who achieve results.

In 1993, Starr and the PMC were awarded the Jimmy Fund's highest honor, the Thomas A. and Jean R. Yawkey Memorial Award for outstanding service. In 1997, the pedestrian bridge connecting Dana-Farber's new Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Research Laboratories to its Dana Building was dedicated in honor of the event's contribution to the advancement of cancer research as the "Pan-Massachusetts Challenge Bridge to Progress." A graduate of the University of Denver, Starr earned a masters degree in education from Northeastern University in 1978. In 1998, he received an honorary degree from Babson College and in November 2004, Dana-Farber gave Starr the Sidney Farber Medical Research Award for the exceptional contribution he has made to reduce the burden of cancer on society. "The PMC has made what we do at Dana-Farber possible," said Dana-Farber President Edward J. Benz, Jr., M.D. "When they write the history of how cancer was conquered, the PMC will be in chapter one."

The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge
The PMC, presented by the Boston Red Sox and Overstock.com, is the nation¡¦s first fundraising bike-a-thon and today raises more money than any other athletic fundraising event in the country. On August 5 and 6, 2006, 4,000 cyclists will travel eight different routes, logging between 70 and 192 miles over one or two days, through 46 scenic Massachusetts towns. Their goal is to raise $24 million. For more information about the PMC, call 800-WE-CYCLE or visit www.pmc.org.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have to comment....

First of all it is for charity.. as long as the majority of the donation goes into that charity it is worth it.... secondly if the entry fee is too high to be paid out of your own pocket then go gather donations... the minimum donations are not expected to be paid out of your own pocket...

If a ride has minimum donation of $200 then you only need 10 people to donate $20 or 20 people to donate $10.... and when they make their check payable to the charity or the charity ride it is tax deductible in most cases....

no one minds giving to charity..... besides most people are more that willing to give $20 to a cause if it lets them forget about it for a year or so... ;)

cycling_jedi said:
First of all it is for charity.. as long as the majority of the donation goes into that charity it is worth it.... secondly if the entry fee is too high to be paid out of your own pocket then go gather donations... the minimum donations are not expected to be paid out of your own pocket...

If a ride has minimum donation of $200 then you only need 10 people to donate $20 or 20 people to donate $10....
Problems arise when you have multiple charities all trying to suck money out of a small segment of the population. When you just had the MS150 that was one thing, but now you have the Tour de Cure for diabetes, rides for cancer. They all want their $150 or $200. Can tours for limb ****, hang nails, and baldness be far off. When does it end?

I personally do not care to hit up friends and family for money. I don't think it is fair to put them under pressure to donate. I don't mind writing a check for one or two events a year, but it quickly gets to the point where I cannot rationalize it anymore. I start thinking things like for the same $200 I can do a mini weekend riding vacation and get a lot more out of it than riding the Grovelling For Dollars Tour.

I have also seen another trend where regular centuries have hiked their fees so they can say they give five or ten bucks to a charity. I like to use centuries for LSD training but at a certain price point it is not worth it.

Again I will bring up something in my earliear post in this thread and that is bad food for lunch. If a rider pays $50 the least the organizers could do is make the lunch worth $5.

It does seem that there are a lot more charitys begging for money... Wouldn't it make sense to have one charity for MS instead of say 50 or so?

I have never actually raced in any event much less a charity one so I cant comment on conditions or how they treat the riders, but I have found that if you are actually doing something (in this case x number of miles) then people are more willing to donate than if you are just asking for a handout.

"Can tours for limb ****, hang nails, and baldness be far off. When does it end?"-Bro Deal

Bro deal if someone you knew or yourself has an actual disease would you not want people donating and raising money to help research and cure that disease. For those of you who have rode the various charity rides you will notice that many of the volunteers are people who are plagued with these diseases. These people are truly grateful to have people donating and helping better their lives. So to answer your question, it ends when our society is able to overcome and cure various diseases that in one way or another all our lives will be affected by.

First off no one is forced into riding these rides so who cares what it costs? The rates are due to the basic principles of economic supply and demand. Charity rides will push the price up to make as much money as possible until people stop signing up. Just like anything else in the economy the price will be set as high as it can be to have the max number of buyers. If you really want to drive the price down organize a big enough boycott to hurt the charities at the bank. Haaaa lets take away the charity money.

I just think it is ridiculous that people are complaining about helping others and it is voluntary. I understand if you don’t have the money or are in a tough spot your self but I wonder how many people complaining about the costs spend thousands on bikes and gear. The whole idea of a charity ride is to raise money and awareness. I guess many of you just write checks out of your pocket instead of getting donations ( in that case your donation would be tax deductible) and there is nothing wrong with that. However, maybe you don’t feel like pressuring your family into donating money but how about time to volunteer if they don’t have money. Its all about spreading the word and getting as many people aware of these disease as possible.

cycling_jedi said:
It does seem that there are a lot more charitys begging for money... Wouldn't it make sense to have one charity for MS instead of say 50 or so?
Not really. There are two MS 150 rides in North Carolina. I will go down to New Bern for the ride in Eastern North Carolina, but most folks in Western North Carolina would not make that trip. Similarly, there is one in Charlotte, but most folks in Eastern North Carolina would not travel that far if it was the only one. If there was only one for the country, very few people would participate compared to the number that participate under the current setup.

djk202020 said:
First off no one is forced into riding these rides so who cares what it costs?
This was kind of my point in the OP, We don't ride many charity rides (2X the cost since we ride as a couple). We like to ride different places every weekend, and organized rides are a nice way to do that, but there's no way we could afford to ride in every local charity ride. Since we are 25-35 mile bikers we use less services (rest stops, etc) so the $/mile is even highier, if we were doing centries the "way out" rest stops & SAG support would be much more important to us and the "cost" might be more justified.

We are part of the "target population" yet we can not participate in every ride because of the cumlative cost through the season.

RickF said:
Not really. There are two MS 150 rides in North Carolina. I will go down to New Bern for the ride in Eastern North Carolina, but most folks in Western North Carolina would not make that trip. Similarly, there is one in Charlotte, but most folks in Eastern North Carolina would not travel that far if it was the only one. If there was only one for the country, very few people would participate compared to the number that participate under the current setup.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make... There are multiple MS rides, but they are all organized by and support the same charity... it is a national event. We have one here in NJ called the MS City to Shore.

What I was trying to say was all the seperate charities asking for money for the same cause... I have National Cancer Association... American Cancer Association... National Cancer Institute... and more all asking for money for cancer research... Now I dont mind giving money for a cause but I would rather give it to something that not only raises money for that cause but also raises awareness...

And that is what a good charity ride does... First it raises money for a cause, but secondly and sometimes even more important, it raises awareness for that cause which educates people and makes them more in tune with what is going on and what needs to be done for that particular charity.

I agree with you Jedi!

And djk202020, I hear ya! ;)

I am going to do a bike ride myself. The purpose is of course to raise money but an important goal is to focus on awareness. It is for IBD & Colon Cancer.

I have Ulcerative Colitis and feel that it is important to bring this illness to people's attention. Because some form of IBD is common now but it is just not talked about due to it's nature.:eek:

Since I have the illness that I am raising awareness about, It makes me feel truly grateful for the help we get. I can also relate to others.
And by doing some of the work I feel that I am earning their donations and possibly their repsect!

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) for us there are not very many charitable rides or events for our illness...I feel that we can gather more attention because of that.

When you have so many Charities like the American Cancer Association, National Cancer Association, etc... people can become easily confused and not know which one they should donate to.

The Non-Profit I want to start is more of a grassroots effort and will focus on helping those in my local area then possibly expanding in the future!

It's still a lot cheaper than trying to run your own event - so stay with it. The whole charity scene is getting somewhat out of hand. The big charities have to operate internationally and are much like global companies. Unless you are willing to pay up, you have to do something on a local basis in your own community.

I am running my own solo event - cycling the 2006 Tour de France route solo, starting 17th September. Despite having some very generous sponsors it's costing me some $4,000. See what it's about at http://www.cancercharitytour.com

DCwom said:

These costs are very prohibitive for younger cyclists like myself with little money. Some of my teammates and I were looking at doing a local century for the Boys and Girls Club but it costs $200 to enter.