Charity rider needs support

SuzieB

New Member
Oct 15, 2005
From The Age today - http://tinyurl.com/d7ag5

Sungod' proves a handy cyclist
By Liz Minchin
January 11, 2006

FROM as young as 13, Andreas Dagelet used to terrify his mother by vanishing during school holidays, to tramp and hitchhike his way across the north island of his native New Zealand.

Now 38, not even a damaged spinal cord has been able to curb his taste for adventure. If anything, he says, the accident that nearly killed him and paralysed his lower body a decade ago has made his wanderlust greater.

This week Mr Dagelet cruised into Melbourne on his recumbent tricycle on his way to setting a world record for the longest hand-cranked cycling trip.

Starting at his home near Brisbane last April, he has cycled more than 13,000 kilometres, at an average of 75 kilometres a day, five days a week, riding anti-clockwise around Australia through Darwin, Perth and Adelaide, as well as some of the country's most isolated rural communities.

Along the way, he hopes to raise $1 million for children's charities, with donations held in trust by his local council.

"I've got no idea how much we've raised so far, I'm leaving that to the council to keep track of," said Mr Dagelet, who is an architect by trade but whose weblog described him as an "Adventurer — Sungod".

"But if we raise $10,000 or $100,000 or $1 million, it's all good. It's not really about the money or the world record — this trip is really about having fun and showing people I meet along the way that anything is possible."

Mr Dagelet started his journey on the 10th anniversary of becoming paraplegic, when he climbed too high up a gum tree and fell seven metres, breaking his back. After six months' rehabilitation, he was itching for further adventures and has since gone bungy jumping, been skydiving and visited 44 countries.

Before he can continue on to Tasmania and along Victoria's east coast for the final 4000-kilometre stretch home, he has to find two new volunteers to become his support crew, to drive the ute and caravan that shield him from speeding traffic.

There have been a few near-misses — especially with impatient drivers along the Great Ocean Road and near capital cities — but at least this time he has his mother's blessing.

"One of the things I have to do when I finish this trip is repay all the money I've borrowed from my mother and the bank, because I've blown my life savings on this trip," he said. "And when I've done that, I think I'll take another round-the-world trip, just to unwind."

To volunteer or donate, call 0412 228 966 or visit the link below. (Note sure where the link is)

SuzieB said:
Okay, found the email and website.

[email protected]

http://www.handcycleoz.blogspot.com/

What an inspiration!

As a strange coincidence I saw a ute with this URL on it's back window as I was coming into work at Werribee this morning and I wondered what they were on about.

The roads were pretty wet and visibilty on the Geelong Rd wasn't good so I hope everyone was being careful.

RoryW

cfsmtb wrote:
> http://www.handcycleoz.blogspot.com/
>
> Good blog. I admire people who don't allow fate to keep kicking them.

Interesting. I went to uni with Andreas, and kinda lost contact late
90's. Great to see he's doing well...from what I knew of him at uni
he's not the sort to allow fate to kick him. In fact more than one
person said at the time that it couldn't have happened to a better
person, meaning that of anyone who could a) cope and b) turn an injury
like this into something positive, then Andreas would be that person.

Cheers
David M