Charity Rides Supplement in C+

Not Responding

Guest
Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture of
road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet
and rain might be being a bit too honest.

"Not Responding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
> seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
> cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
> strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture of
> road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet
> and rain might be being a bit too honest.

Yebut they'd still be smiling.

Not Responding wrote:

> Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
> seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
> cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
> strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture
> of road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of
> sleet and rain might be being a bit too honest.

Haven't seen it, but one can't expect anything as tawdry as realism in a
glossy wossname. One has only to look at adverts for kitchens, bathroom
suites etc. Were they at all realistic then the average UK house would be
roughly the size of Blenheim Palace...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Not Responding wrote:
> Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never

> seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
> cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
> strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture

of
> road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet

> and rain might be being a bit too honest.

Of course if you were getting a free holiday paid for by people's
charity donations you'd be smiling!

MartinM wrote:
> Not Responding wrote:
>
>>Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never

>>seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
>>cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
>>strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture

> of
>
>>road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet

>>and rain might be being a bit too honest.

> Of course if you were getting a free holiday paid for by people's
> charity donations you'd be smiling!

I was part of a team that raised several hundred pounds at last year's
London to Brighton. It was a good day, but not exactly a "free holiday".

I know what you're referring to, but there's no need to be cynical about
*all* charity rides.

As an added benefit, forming our 15-strong L2B team got a few friends
interested in cycling and they've kept it up.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Jeremy Collins wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Not Responding wrote:
> >
> >>Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've

never

> >>seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
> >>cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
> >>strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a

picture

> > of
> >
> >>road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of

sleet

> >>and rain might be being a bit too honest.

> > Of course if you were getting a free holiday paid for by people's
> > charity donations you'd be smiling!

> I was part of a team that raised several hundred pounds at last

year's
> London to Brighton. It was a good day, but not exactly a "free

holiday".

> I know what you're referring to, but there's no need to be cynical

about
> *all* charity rides.
>
> As an added benefit, forming our 15-strong L2B team got a few friends
> interested in cycling and they've kept it up.

I was not having a go at anyone doing the one day rides; I have done
L2B myself 10 times and it costs a lot to ride it, but it's worth it.
What I object to is companies like bike events who cream off some of
the sponsorship to pay for the organising costs.

> road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet

> and rain might be being a bit too honest.

Yebut they'd still be smiling.

only if it "was" at the end ;-)

Not Responding <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
> seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
> cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
> strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture of
> road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet
> and rain might be being a bit too honest.

On roughly the same subject... I've gone on numerous cycling trips to
Scotland, inevitably returning with photos showing lovely deep blue
skies. My wife, however, has apparently never witnessed a such a
phenomenon north of the English border. She's even accused me of using
photoshop to sex them up.

It's not hard to see why magazines favour sunshiny skies and faces,
but I tend to agree, it does grate.