charity rides

masonpaul

Apr 29, 2007
Is it okay to ride charity rides for training? They look pretty cool, with different distances. I just don't want to look like a moron showing up with my clipless pedals and road bike. I'm not going to race anyone, I'm just looking to get some distance rides on a different route.

masonpaul said:
Is it okay to ride charity rides for training? They look pretty cool, with different distances. I just don't want to look like a moron showing up with my clipless pedals and road bike. I'm not going to race anyone, I'm just looking to get some distance rides on a different route.

Yes it is, and there are those that will be there to be first across the finish. You will see every type at a given charity ride so enjoy the ride and don't give it another thought.

I do them all the time and riders range from those on their $99 Kmart specials who struggle to complete the 15 miles to those who race through the century in under 5 hours.
go have fun.
masonpaul said:

Trust me, you will definately not be the only person showing up clippless. Heck, I see people showing up on Orcas just to ride 25 miles. Charity rides are not races, but you'll find people who show up and pretend to race and you might even learn some things on a charity ride. My best advice about the carity rides is for you to stay on your guard at all times because there are always a few first timers or people not used to riding in packs. For the first 10 miles (or until the first rest stop), I would be extremely careful about who you ride next to.

I love doing charity rides, I have learned soo many new routes thanks to these rides. Enjoy!