Charles Kennedy : Alcoholism and Politics

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Just curious as to the forums views about CK and his admission about his addiction to alcohol yesterday.

I think he was very brave to admit his addiction - even though ITN were about to run a report about him.

I think he has managed to get the Libs more support than it has enjoyed since the 1960's under David Steele.

Now 22 Liberal MP's have threatened to resign if CK doesn't.
Is it a resigning issue?

limerickman said:
Just curious as to the forums views about CK and his admission about his addiction to alcohol yesterday.

I think he was very brave to admit his addiction - even though ITN were about to run a report about him.

I think he has managed to get the Libs more support than it has enjoyed since the 1960's under David Steele.

Is it a resigning issue?
To begin at the the beginning, the night is Bible black, and the Liberal cats Miaoow loudly from the rooves of the town about their chief tomcat with a thirst.
22 cats will resign their adequate supply of catfood if not sated, but will play right into the hands of the Tory Press, and no doubt will be unemployed and unable to enter the catflap again.
Give the man a chance ffs.

limerickman said:

Is it a resigning issue?
It's a health issue.They should be offering support.At least he has admitted it,unlike dubya who becomes evasive when his cocaine use is mentioned.
:(

CK resigned today.

I think Fred is right, I think that this is playing right in to Tory hands.

I thought CK was quite impressive - he seemed to moved the Libs in the right direction and he was right to hold his position over Iraq.

I agree with Steve alcoholism is an illness.
He ought to have been given a chance.

limerickman said:
CK resigned today.

I think Fred is right, I think that this is playing right in to Tory hands.

I thought CK was quite impressive - he seemed to moved the Libs in the right direction and he was right to hold his position over Iraq.

I agree with Steve alcoholism is an illness.
He ought to have been given a chance.

Alcoholism is an illness. Unfortunately, it is also very serious. And has a high relapse rate.

Just a thought from a fellow alcoholic.

CK has gone now, he hid his achoholism well. if he didnt admit it most wouldnt have known.

What i mean by hiding has nothing to do with stashing the bottle of scotch behind the sofa, i mean that he did his job to the fullest and the best of his ability, he was well liked and a capable politician.

came as a shock to me.

anyway, he resigned as head of the LibDems but hopefully he'll still make a positive impact in politics.

I too thought that CK was very good at his job and he appeared to be a pretty honest guy for a politician.

I have a lot of sympathy for people who suffer from any addiction.
Addiction is a terrible thing.
It's a daily struggle for all of those people and they have my support and sympathy.

i like Ming,

another nice guy and a great speaker.

i get the feeling he only wanted the position because it appeared that initially no one was going to run for head. Seems that internal politics or pride prevents him from standing down now that others are considering running.

maybe i read it all wrong.

people say he is too old, but i get the feeling its a temporary post.

limerickman said:
Looks like Ming the Merciless is the front runner now.

MountainPro said:
CK has gone now, he hid his achoholism well. if he didnt admit it most wouldnt have known.

What i mean by hiding has nothing to do with stashing the bottle of scotch behind the sofa, i mean that he did his job to the fullest and the best of his ability, he was well liked and a capable politician.

came as a shock to me.

anyway, he resigned as head of the LibDems but hopefully he'll still make a positive impact in politics.
Churchill reportedly drank a bottle of brandy and several bottles of champagne a day during WWll and nobody asked him to resign.
Well,not until after ****** was beaten anyway.

and dont forget Yeltsin...a bottle of Smirnoff Blue before breakfast, it never did him or his country any harm...

infact i think more politicians should get ****** more regularly, it would make Prime Ministers questions a little more fun...

stevebaby said:
Churchill reportedly drank a bottle of brandy and several bottles of champagne a day during WWll and nobody asked him to resign.
Well,not until after ****** was beaten anyway.

MountainPro said:
and dont forget Yeltsin...a bottle of Smirnoff Blue before breakfast, it never did him or his country any harm...

infact i think more politicians should get ****** more regularly, it would make Prime Ministers questions a little more fun...
Just imagine tony blair...drunk,singing,pissing in the street,taking a wild swing at the policeman outside No.10,throwing up and then falling in a heap on the front doorstep...
:D :D :D :D
Never trust a man who doesn't drink! :)

they should be forced to show up at work wearing a pair of false breasts..

stevebaby said:
Just imagine tony blair...drunk,singing,pissing in the street,taking a wild swing at the policeman outside No.10,throwing up and then falling in a heap on the front doorstep...

MountainPro said:

"in vino veritas "... :D :D

stevebaby said:
Wasn't he with his pal William Hague?

FredC said:
That might account for the perpetually sour expression on the face of his ideological god-mother (margaret bloody thatcher).
She always looked like she had been given the lemon,but not the martini.
:D :D :D

FredC said:
i dont think even CK could match the teenage debauchery of William Hague...

14 pints and that wast just during his lunch break!

John Smiths of course..

CK was rubbish. A nice guy, no doubt, but still rubbish.

When the Tories were lost in the wilderness during the last few years he singularly failed to transform the Lib Dems from the 3rd party into THE party of opposition. Now they're where they always were - somewhere in the background.

I too admired his stance on the war, but it just wasn't enough.

Maybe it's just the media to blame - they never seem to give much air time to the LibDems, and seem determined to maintain a 2 party system. They openly call it thus, on air.

Ming's a good guy, as is Vince Cable, but my money would be on Simon Hughes or Mark Oaten to make the most positive impact. God knows we could do with some kind of leftish party to even up the political scales a bit.

They could all (irrespective of party) do with an occasional toke too. That might make their policies a little more interesting. :rolleyes:

i think its probably okay to be pished and prime minister at the same time...

its when they are on the wagon that all the problems start....thier mind goes funny and cant put sentences together...start declaring war on countries and hear the voices of God telling them that they are working under His command...then the final stage..'chimp' stage...you know its already too late