Charmed life ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sniper8052(L96A1), May 4, 2006.

  1. I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled
    toward me...#
    Firstly he was travelling East, on the south carriageway, in the North
    most lane of the Embankment just below Hungerford Bridge, against the
    traffic flow. He then turned to his left,over the pedestrian refuge/
    crossing and, without pausing, into the path of a taxi travelling East
    in the North carriageway, at this point I thought he would surly die. He
    avoided the imminent collision by turning very sharply East and wobbling
    Eastwards before performing a U turn in the carriageway that took him
    over the pedestrian refuge at the end of Northumberland Avenue nearly
    hitting two pedestrians as he cycled between them. He then proceeded up
    Northumberland Avenue toward Trafalgar Square crossing in front of two
    or three motorcycles who dived to their brakes as he did so without
    signalling his intent to cross the carriageway from left to right and
    without even glancing behind him. Having completed this manoeuvre he
    cycled up the Southbound carriageway almost without incident although a
    pedestrian at the crossing halfway up nearly came to grief as the
    cyclist zipped past from seemingly the wrong direction, I didn't note
    the colour of the crossing. The cyclist then took the wrong side of the
    island at the top of Northumberland Avenue again crossed the pedestrian
    refuge/crossing area between pedestrians crossing and cycled out into
    the traffic stream of vehicles moving ahead into Whitehall at which he
    turned right in front of a very large blue bus emerging as if by magic,
    for I could see no other reason why the bus did not hit him to zig round
    the end of the pedestrian refuge separating East and West Traffic in
    Whitehall at its junction with Trafalgar Square, his journey having
    taken him a little distance into Whitehall. Having regained Trafalgar
    Square he cycled through the Red ATS, in front of the Westbound traffic
    entering Trafalgar Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just
    could not believe his bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved
    to be a statistic it had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't
    been one yet - other than the bike looked brand new and was a female so
    perhaps borrowed bike.

    Sniper8052

    Tags:

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    > I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled
    > toward me..

    Dammit, man. You know that in those circumstances, you stop him and ask
    him for his choice of lottery numbers.

    R.

  3. Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    > other than the bike looked brand new and was a female so
    > perhaps borrowed bike.

    Possible permanantly borrowed off some poor chap and she was making a
    speedy getaway!

    peter

  4. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled toward
    >me...#
    > Firstly he was travelling East, on the south carriageway, in the North
    > most lane of the Embankment just below Hungerford Bridge, against the
    > traffic flow. He then turned to his left,over the pedestrian refuge/
    > crossing and, without pausing, into the path of a taxi travelling East in
    > the North carriageway, at this point I thought he would surly die. He
    > avoided the imminent collision by turning very sharply East and wobbling
    > Eastwards before performing a U turn in the carriageway that took him over
    > the pedestrian refuge at the end of Northumberland Avenue nearly hitting
    > two pedestrians as he cycled between them. He then proceeded up
    > Northumberland Avenue toward Trafalgar Square crossing in front of two or
    > three motorcycles who dived to their brakes as he did so without
    > signalling his intent to cross the carriageway from left to right and
    > without even glancing behind him. Having completed this manoeuvre he
    > cycled up the Southbound carriageway almost without incident although a
    > pedestrian at the crossing halfway up nearly came to grief as the cyclist
    > zipped past from seemingly the wrong direction, I didn't note the colour
    > of the crossing. The cyclist then took the wrong side of the island at
    > the top of Northumberland Avenue again crossed the pedestrian
    > refuge/crossing area between pedestrians crossing and cycled out into the
    > traffic stream of vehicles moving ahead into Whitehall at which he turned
    > right in front of a very large blue bus emerging as if by magic, for I
    > could see no other reason why the bus did not hit him to zig round the end
    > of the pedestrian refuge separating East and West Traffic in Whitehall at
    > its junction with Trafalgar Square, his journey having taken him a little
    > distance into Whitehall. Having regained Trafalgar Square he cycled
    > through the Red ATS, in front of the Westbound traffic entering Trafalgar
    > Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just could not believe his
    > bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved to be a statistic it
    > had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't been one yet - other than
    > the bike looked brand new and was a female so perhaps borrowed bike.
    >
    > Sniper8052

    I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  5. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled toward
    >>me...#
    >> Firstly he was travelling East, on the south

    <snip><snip>

    >> Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just could not believe his
    >> bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved to be a statistic it
    >> had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't been one yet - other
    >> than the bike looked brand new and was a female so perhaps borrowed bike.
    >>
    >> Sniper8052

    > I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!
    >
    > Trevor A Panther
    > In South Yorkshire,
    > England, United Kingdom.

    and while I think about it

    *plonk*

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!

    If it was he could have done all that legally by turning the blue
    flashing light on..

    ...d

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    > I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled
    > toward me...#
    > Firstly he was travelling East, on the south carriageway, in the North
    > most lane of the Embankment just below Hungerford Bridge, against the
    > traffic flow. He then turned to his left,over the pedestrian refuge/
    > crossing and, without pausing, into the path of a taxi travelling East
    > in the North carriageway, at this point I thought he would surly die. He
    > avoided the imminent collision by turning very sharply East and wobbling
    > Eastwards before performing a U turn in the carriageway that took him
    > over the pedestrian refuge at the end of Northumberland Avenue nearly
    > hitting two pedestrians as he cycled between them. He then proceeded up
    > Northumberland Avenue toward Trafalgar Square crossing in front of two
    > or three motorcycles who dived to their brakes as he did so without
    > signalling his intent to cross the carriageway from left to right and
    > without even glancing behind him. Having completed this manoeuvre he
    > cycled up the Southbound carriageway almost without incident although a
    > pedestrian at the crossing halfway up nearly came to grief as the
    > cyclist zipped past from seemingly the wrong direction, I didn't note
    > the colour of the crossing. The cyclist then took the wrong side of the
    > island at the top of Northumberland Avenue again crossed the pedestrian
    > refuge/crossing area between pedestrians crossing and cycled out into
    > the traffic stream of vehicles moving ahead into Whitehall at which he
    > turned right in front of a very large blue bus emerging as if by magic,
    > for I could see no other reason why the bus did not hit him to zig round
    > the end of the pedestrian refuge separating East and West Traffic in
    > Whitehall at its junction with Trafalgar Square, his journey having
    > taken him a little distance into Whitehall. Having regained Trafalgar
    > Square he cycled through the Red ATS, in front of the Westbound traffic
    > entering Trafalgar Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just
    > could not believe his bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved
    > to be a statistic it had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't
    > been one yet - other than the bike looked brand new and was a female so
    > perhaps borrowed bike.
    >
    > Sniper8052

    And you chose not to whip out your police badge and re-educate him about
    considerate, legal and safe cycling?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > >> Sniper8052

    > and while I think about it
    >
    > *plonk*

    ????
    Sniper would be one of the last I would killfile. His posting history
    is generally well thought out and a positive contribution to the group
    (not to mention entertaining about how he actively improves safety for
    us on the road).

    Definitely more light than heat, even if I don't agree with him at
    times.

    ...d

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > and while I think about it
    >
    > *plonk*

    That seems unreasonable. Sniper has long been a valued contributor to
    this ng, and I saw nothing in his observations in this case that
    warranted plonking.

    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > and while I think about it
    >
    > *plonk*

    WTF for? Sniper's posts are well-thought out and/or amusing, albeit
    infrequent. They're certainly not kneejerk, like most of mine. :)

    R.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Pinky wrote:
    >> and while I think about it
    >>
    >> *plonk*

    > That seems unreasonable. Sniper has long been a valued contributor to
    > this ng, and I saw nothing in his observations in this case that
    > warranted plonking.

    <aol>
    I agree!
    </aol>

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

    Are you supposed to be good cop or bad cop?

    Good cop should have given the obviously-required directions
    to Mornington Crescent. Bad cop should have nicked him.

    --
    not me guv

  13. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled toward
    >>> me...#
    >>> Firstly he was travelling East, on the south

    > <snip><snip>
    >
    >>> Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just could not believe his
    >>> bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved to be a statistic it
    >>> had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't been one yet - other
    >>> than the bike looked brand new and was a female so perhaps borrowed bike.
    >>>
    >>> Sniper8052

    >> I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!
    >>
    >> Trevor A Panther
    >> In South Yorkshire,
    >> England, United Kingdom.
    >>

    > and while I think about it
    >
    > *plonk*

    Normally when someone gets killfiled by someone who announces it, the
    replies are along the lines of "I've already killfiled that idiot". In
    this instance, I think you'll find that not to be the case, myself included.

    Having said that, I did see some humour in it, as I read it as:
    Charmed Charing Cross cyclist clocked.
    Pink Panther plonks plod.

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

  14. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Jim Price wrote:
    > Having said that, I did see some humour in it, as I read it as:
    > Charmed Charing Cross cyclist clocked.
    > Pink Panther plonks plod.

    YOMAK

    ...d

  15. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Pinky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>

    >> "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled toward
    >>>me...#
    >>> Firstly he was travelling East, on the south

    ><snip><snip>
    >
    >>> Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just could not believe his
    >>> bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved to be a statistic it
    >>> had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't been one yet - other
    >>> than the bike looked brand new and was a female so perhaps borrowed bike.
    >>>
    >>> Sniper8052

    >> I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!
    >>
    >> Trevor A Panther
    >> In South Yorkshire,
    >> England, United Kingdom.
    >>

    > and while I think about it
    >
    > *plonk*

    Ooops. How embarassing for you :)

    --
    Nobby Anderson

  16. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > > and while I think about it
    > >
    > > *plonk*

    > ????
    > Sniper would be one of the last I would killfile. His posting history
    > is generally well thought out and a positive contribution to the group
    > (not to mention entertaining about how he actively improves safety for
    > us on the road).
    >
    > Definitely more light than heat, even if I don't agree with him at
    > times.

    Can someone tell me why this account is generally seen as more
    trustworthy than the attempted (racist) murder of a cyclist reported in
    this group last December?

  17. Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> could not believe his bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved
    >> to be a statistic it had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't
    >> been one yet - other than the bike looked brand new and was a female so
    >> perhaps borrowed bike.

    > And you chose not to whip out your police badge and re-educate him about
    > considerate, legal and safe cycling?

    Given his prediliction for cycling the wrong way up the road weaving
    in and out of the traffic, I suspect the risk involved to Sniper in
    catching up with him would have been significant!

    Phil

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Squashme wrote:

    > Can someone tell me why this account is generally seen as more
    > trustworthy than the attempted (racist) murder of a cyclist reported in
    > this group last December?

    Because Sniper is a known and generally trusted poster here. Can
    someone tell me why you are so fixated on extracting apologies for the
    scepticism around the original Sheffield report?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  19. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Squashme wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    > > > and while I think about it
    > > >
    > > > *plonk*

    > > ????
    > > Sniper would be one of the last I would killfile. His posting history
    > > is generally well thought out and a positive contribution to the group
    > > (not to mention entertaining about how he actively improves safety for
    > > us on the road).
    > >
    > > Definitely more light than heat, even if I don't agree with him at
    > > times.

    > Can someone tell me why this account is generally seen as more
    > trustworthy than the attempted (racist) murder of a cyclist reported in
    > this group last December?

    You mean 'the account of an attempted racist murder'?

    1. All the geography matches up. I know the area (used to commute
    through there) and the names and places are congruent with reality.
    2. It doesn't have the impression (albeit unintended) of an
    inflammatory posting trolling for a knee-jerk repsonse with no
    contemporary support where support would have been expected.
    3. Sniper is well known in the group and could be regarded as a
    'reliable witness'. The other account was from someone almost
    completely unknown to most in the group.
    4. The implications of the event are not as significant. i.e. it
    doesn't matter if it was true or not. Therefore less weight is put on
    to assessing the validity.

    The responses so far have been 'OK, it was essentially true but given a
    similar posting today I'd have the same response' seems entirely proper
    (I can throw maths at it if you wish).

    Happy now?

    ...d

  20. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Pinky
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > and while I think about it
    >
    > *plonk*

    Wouldn't do that, if I were you, Trevor. Sniper is a London policeman who
    often has sensible, level headed and informative views from, as it were,
    the other side of the fence. He's made me think a number of times, and
    that can't be bad.

    ;; I put the 'sexy' in 'dyslexia'