Charmed life ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sniper8052(L96A1), May 4, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Squashme wrote:
    > Despite the size of the Web, many accounts of events seem to turn up
    > only once. Last time that I looked there was only one account of the
    > trial of the Sheffield assailant. Oh no, have we been had?


    No. Despite the fact that you were given chapter and verse with
    respect to the newspaper report, you can't be arsed to verify it by, you
    know, picking up the phone and contacting the newspaper; you'd rather
    cast aspersions on the guy who posted it because it's easier to let your
    fingers play about than actually do something useful. It so happens I
    know the OP (of the trial report) personally; he has done far more for
    cycling than the sum total of most people I know. So be a good chap
    and bugger off.

    R.
     


  2. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    > This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much older
    > beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet', Usenet is
    > older than that, too.
    >
    > Simon, still knows how to set up a UUCP node.


    <old git mode>
    I remember posting to JANET
    </ogm>

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if
    there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than
    that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
     
  3. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Squashme wrote:
    > > Despite the size of the Web, many accounts of events seem to turn up
    > > only once. Last time that I looked there was only one account of the
    > > trial of the Sheffield assailant. Oh no, have we been had?

    >
    > No. Despite the fact that you were given chapter and verse with
    > respect to the newspaper report, you can't be arsed to verify it by, you
    > know, picking up the phone and contacting the newspaper; you'd rather
    > cast aspersions on the guy who posted it because it's easier to let your
    > fingers play about than actually do something useful. It so happens I
    > know the OP (of the trial report) personally; he has done far more for
    > cycling than the sum total of most people I know. So be a good chap
    > and bugger off.
    >



    Blue on blue, latecomer.

    Probably I should have put some stupid emoticon in or snipped better.
    Just search my recent stuff if you can be bothered. I was one of the
    people trying to defend the poor sod against all the logical
    right-thinkers on this group last December, who thought that he was the
    product of some racist troll. (Because they couldn't believe that there
    could be Asian racists, I guess).

    Now I'm a plonked troll, and doubtless a racist too.

    Anyhow, can't bugger off. This is nowhere.
     
  4. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    > On 5 May 2006 10:40:46 -0700, "Squashme" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Somebody should take that plonk-stick away from Pinky, before someone
    > >gets hurt (maybe a child). He's already winged me with it. And I was
    > >right mostly. And nice to him mostly.

    >
    > I haven't seen you being particularly pleasant to anyone here.


    Doesn't mean that I haven't agreed with them in the past, or enjoyed
    their missives. Just that some were wilfully blind last December. And I
    hoped that the attack would eventually come to trial. Anyway they are
    giving as good as they get.

    I meant to be nicer to Pinky, but I forgot to put it in. I really
    enjoyed reading his 2005 Danube trip account a few days ago. But now he
    will never know.
     
  5. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > Squashme ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > >> 2. It doesn't have the impression (albeit unintended) of an
    > >> inflammatory posting trolling for a knee-jerk repsonse with no
    > >> contemporary support where support would have been expected.

    > >
    > > Despite the size of the Web, many accounts of events seem to turn up
    > > only once. Last time that I looked there was only one account of the
    > > trial of the Sheffield assailant. Oh no, have we been had?

    >
    > This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much older
    > beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet', Usenet is
    > older than that, too.
    >


    You can imagine how much I care. I am much older than that, too.
     
  6. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On 5 May 2006 15:04:54 -0700, "Squashme" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Doesn't mean that I haven't agreed with them in the past, or enjoyed
    >their missives. Just that some were wilfully blind last December. And I
    >hoped that the attack would eventually come to trial. Anyway they are
    >giving as good as they get.


    Wrong assumptions were made, everyone is genuinely shocked by the
    unbelievable ferocity of the assault. Several have shown remorse at
    any distress this may have caused the victim.

    Get over it.
     
  7. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    So I shouldn't have done it "publicly" -- sorry for that ----but he remains
    my kill file! No regrets about that action at all!

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >>
    >> That's what Simon Brooke said. ;)
    >>

    >
    > No, Simon pre-emptively copied me ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Tony
    >
    > "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    > right."
    > - Lord Hailsham
     
  8. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Pinky wrote:

    > So I shouldn't have done it "publicly" -- sorry for that ----but he remains
    > my kill file! No regrets about that action at all!
    >
    > --
    > Trevor A Panther
    > In South Yorkshire,
    > England, United Kingdom.


    Does he mean me or the Sniper? Oh, my head is beginning to spin. He's a
    cunning chap. I'm sure that it is all very calculated.

    Still I'd plump for Pinky un-killfiling the Sniper. If I have a say in
    this, of course. Despite the Sniper being someone who obviously is
    sitting in front of a whole bank of surveillance cameras.
     
  9. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 5 May 2006 00:28:14 -0700, "Squashme" <[email protected]> wrote:



    <snip><snip>
    >
    > It would appear that Pinky didn't believe it. At least, I assume that
    > why he's killfiled the OP.



    That's right. Supposedly police man or not!

    By the way my long held respect for "our men in blue" instilled into me as a
    lad born in 1937 has long since evaporated. which is a very sad reflection
    on standards.

    I was cut up today by a police car whose driver expressed his contempt for
    cyclists in the traditional verbal manner ( that is after nearly killing me
    with his bad driving). Unfortunately I was too busy trying to recover from a
    very dangerous situation to see his number --- and no -- he wasn't under
    flashing blue lights - he was just using his official car very very
    selfishly and badly! He was a typical motorised w*nker of the highest
    order!

    So don't come back at me with platitudes about "I wouldn't do that Trevor"
    I can kill fill anyone that I wish to remove from my view. That is an aspect
    of the pc programs which is a very personal but invaluable tool.
    It obviously hurts some people when I do it publicly ( see Squashme's
    comment below (or wherever) which I saw through another's post.). It is not
    always wise to do it that way ---- but after all that is what it is meant to
    do -- isn't it?

    I don't know what sort of surveillance the OP was using but if it was police
    based then this NG was an inappropriate place to vent his opinion.

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
     
  10. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Pinky wrote:

    > "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On 5 May 2006 00:28:14 -0700, "Squashme" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    > <snip><snip>
    > >
    > > It would appear that Pinky didn't believe it. At least, I assume that
    > > why he's killfiled the OP.

    >
    >
    > That's right. Supposedly police man or not!
    >
    > By the way my long held respect for "our men in blue" instilled into me as a
    > lad born in 1937 has long since evaporated. which is a very sad reflection
    > on standards.
    >
    > I was cut up today by a police car whose driver expressed his contempt for
    > cyclists in the traditional verbal manner ( that is after nearly killing me
    > with his bad driving). Unfortunately I was too busy trying to recover from a
    > very dangerous situation to see his number --- and no -- he wasn't under
    > flashing blue lights - he was just using his official car very very
    > selfishly and badly! He was a typical motorised w*nker of the highest
    > order!
    >
    > So don't come back at me with platitudes about "I wouldn't do that Trevor"
    > I can kill fill anyone that I wish to remove from my view. That is an aspect
    > of the pc programs which is a very personal but invaluable tool.
    > It obviously hurts some people when I do it publicly ( see Squashme's
    > comment below (or wherever) which I saw through another's post.). It is not
    > always wise to do it that way ---- but after all that is what it is meant to
    > do -- isn't it?
    >


    I'm down here below (as you might expect) and I'm very, very hurt. It
    will encourage me to behave better, I'm sure. I am also shocked that a
    mature person encourages a lack of respect for the police. Thankfully,
    Pinky, I don't know how to killfile people.
     
  11. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > in message <[email protected]>, Pinky
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> and while I think about it
    >>
    >> *plonk*
    >>

    > Wouldn't do that, if I were you, Trevor. Sniper is a London policeman who
    > often has sensible, level headed and informative views from, as it were,
    > the other side of the fence. He's made me think a number of times, and
    > that can't be bad.
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >
    > ;; I put the 'sexy' in 'dyslexia'


    I couldn't give an old tuppence ( a "tupenny f*ck" - in the vernacular) for
    that information Simon You rarely post such a silly retort! Being a
    "policeman" is just another job and I have knowledge quite a few. Which does
    not, in any way, increase my respect for them! I have commented elsewhere on
    this topic.

    I was quite high ranked in my own field which I have not used as a
    reinforcement to my opinions on here. They remain that -- my own opinions.

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
     
  12. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:26:40 +0100, Don Whybrow wrote:
    > <old git mode>
    > I remember posting to JANET
    > </ogm>


    <young old git mode>
    I remember talking to someone by posting messages on the BBC interschools
    bulletin board.
    </yogm>

    Jon
     
  13. > Being a "policeman" is just another job

    Why the ""?
     
  14. > <young old git mode>
    > I remember talking to someone by posting messages on the BBC interschools
    > bulletin board.
    > </yogm>


    <young older git mode>
    I remember talking to someone using ink, paper, envelopes and postage
    stamps.
    </yogm>
     
  15. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I can kill fill anyone that I wish to remove from my view. That is an
    > aspect of the pc programs which is a very personal but invaluable tool.


    Could you kill file me please? I'm sure at some stage I'll write something
    which gets on your nerve, and I feel it's best to tackle these sort of
    things proactively.

    clive
     
  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >> This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    >> older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    >> Usenet is older than that, too.
    >>
    >> Simon, still knows how to set up a UUCP node.

    >
    > <old git mode>
    > I remember posting to JANET
    > </ogm>


    That's [email protected]brow, then.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
    but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
    And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
    th lies o a past that we know wis never real.
     
  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    Squashme ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >> in message <[email protected]>,
    >> Squashme ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >> > Despite the size of the Web, many accounts of events seem to turn up
    >> > only once. Last time that I looked there was only one account of the
    >> > trial of the Sheffield assailant. Oh no, have we been had?

    >>
    >> This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    >> older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    >> Usenet is older than that, too.

    >
    > You can imagine how much I care. I am much older than that, too.


    You are? Frankly, I doubt it.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"
     
  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Pinky
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >
    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Pinky
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >>> and while I think about it
    >>>
    >>> *plonk*
    >>>

    >> Wouldn't do that, if I were you, Trevor. Sniper is a London policeman
    >> who often has sensible, level headed and informative views from, as it
    >> were, the other side of the fence. He's made me think a number of
    >> times, and that can't be bad.

    >
    > I couldn't give an old tuppence ( a "tupenny f*ck" - in the
    > vernacular) for
    > that information Simon You rarely post such a silly retort! Being a
    > "policeman" is just another job and I have knowledge quite a few. Which
    > does not, in any way, increase my respect for them! I have commented
    > elsewhere on this topic.


    I'm not saying you should listen to him because he's a policeman; I'm
    saying you should listen to him because he's generally sensible and
    level headed. The fact that he's a policeman gives him a professional
    interest in and perspective on road traffic problems which is often
    interesting and thought provoking, and as I don't have any police people
    in my own circle of friends it's a perspective I would not otherwise
    hear.

    But you are, of course, perfectly in your rights to killfile anyone you
    like.
    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
    ;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
    ;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
    ;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous
     
  19. Tony W wrote:
    > "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled toward
    >>me...#

    >
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > What form of conveyance was Sniper using? Given the normal state of
    > gridlock of the area described and the frequency of near misses within the
    > described travel (perhaps 300 to 500 m) I doubt anything other than another
    > bike or a infinite improbability drive device would keep up -- and anyone
    > riding a bike responsibly would be unlikely to unless of Olympic Athlete
    > Standard (TM).
    >
    > Given the above I judge the chances of the story being complete bullshit
    > (TM) to be relatively high.
    >
    > T
    >
    >



    Hardly olympic athelete standard but 600cc's of Japans finest velocipede
    in the shape of my venerable Sam the Yam on the way into work. No
    problem at all to keep track of him with all that power to spare.

    Sniper8052
     
  20. Pinky wrote:
    > So I shouldn't have done it "publicly" -- sorry for that ----but he remains
    > my kill file! No regrets about that action at all!
    >


    Pinky,

    I have never, to my recollection, claimed my position as a police
    officer made me right over others by mystical right and I have often
    chastised my fellows on this newsgroup where that has been warranted. I
    hope also I have offered some humour from the 'other side' when I have
    had something which others might enjoy. This was one of those
    occasions, if you find it unbelievable I can do nothing to convince you
    otherwise however it is a true and faithful representation of the facts
    as viewed from my motorcycle and I can think of no reason for posting it
    otherwise as the majority of the replies have been to inform you of my
    veracity rather than to challenge the substance of the post. Had you
    not been so forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have
    raised more than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was
    it's intent. Had I riled against this fellows behaviour and launched
    into a diatribe about poor cycling and cyclists in general then I could
    understand your ire. However I did not I was dumbfounded and amazed by
    his bare faced cheek and almost mystical seeming blitheness in doing
    what he wanted to do and getting away with it.

    Yours

    Sniper8052
     
Loading...