Charmed life ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sniper8052(L96A1), May 4, 2006.

  1. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 07:11:37 GMT, "Sniper8052(L96A1)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hardly olympic athelete standard but 600cc's of Japans finest velocipede
    > in the shape of my venerable Sam the Yam on the way into work. No
    >problem at all to keep track of him with all that power to spare.


    Do you truly say that your original report was the truth, the whole
    truth, and nothing but the truth? Or did you fill in the bits where
    your memory failed you with tiny bits of poetic licence?
     


  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    <Standard killfile circumvention button pushed>
    Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    >
    > Pinky,
    >
    > I have never, to my recollection, claimed my position as a police
    > officer made me right over others by mystical right and I have often
    > chastised my fellows on this newsgroup where that has been warranted. I
    > hope also I have offered some humour from the 'other side' when I have
    > had something which others might enjoy. This was one of those
    > occasions, if you find it unbelievable I can do nothing to convince you
    > otherwise however it is a true and faithful representation of the facts
    > as viewed from my motorcycle and I can think of no reason for posting it
    > otherwise as the majority of the replies have been to inform you of my
    > veracity rather than to challenge the substance of the post. Had you
    > not been so forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have
    > raised more than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was
    > it's intent. Had I riled against this fellows behaviour and launched
    > into a diatribe about poor cycling and cyclists in general then I could
    > understand your ire. However I did not I was dumbfounded and amazed by
    > his bare faced cheek and almost mystical seeming blitheness in doing
    > what he wanted to do and getting away with it.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Sniper8052
     
  3. Pinky,

    I have never, to my recollection, claimed my position as a police
    officer made me right over others by mystical right and I have often
    chastised my fellows on this newsgroup where that has been warranted. I
    hope also I have offered some humour from the 'other side' when I have
    had something which others might enjoy. This was one of those
    occasions, if you find it unbelievable I can do nothing to convince you
    otherwise however it is a true and faithful representation of the facts
    as viewed from my motorcycle and I can think of no reason for posting it
    otherwise as the majority of the replies have been to inform you of my
    veracity rather than to challenge the substance of the post. Had you
    not been so forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have
    raised more than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was
    it's intent. Had I riled against this fellows behaviour and launched
    into a diatribe about poor cycling and cyclists in general then I could
    understand your ire. However I did not I was dumbfounded and amazed by
    his bare faced cheek and almost mystical seeming blitheness in doing
    what he wanted to do and getting away with it.

    Yours

    Sniper8052

    (not Me, obv)
     
  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    >
    > Do you truly say that your original report was the truth, the whole
    > truth, and nothing but the truth? Or did you fill in the bits where
    > your memory failed you with tiny bits of poetic licence?


    "You do not have to post anything. But it may harm your defence if you
    do not mention something which you later rely on in urc. Anything you do
    say may be misinterpreted and used against you."

    --
    Tony

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
    taken place"
    George Bernard Shaw
     
  5. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 07:51:02 GMT someone who may be
    "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Had you
    >not been so forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have
    >raised more than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was
    >it's intent.


    I smiled a little at the original story. Thanks for posting it.

    The subsequent denunciation of the story has also made me smile.
    Some people seem to think they are mind readers and demonstrate,
    convincingly, that they are not.



    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54
     
  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Simon Brooke wrote:
    > >>
    > >> This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    > >> older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    > >> Usenet is older than that, too.
    > >>
    > >> Simon, still knows how to set up a UUCP node.

    > >
    > > <old git mode>
    > > I remember posting to JANET
    > > </ogm>

    >
    > That's [email protected]brow, then.


    uk.co.wanadoo.fwhybrow::don , shirley?
    (ex-X25 user)

    ...d
     
  7. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:11:46 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"You do not have to post anything. But it may harm your defence if you
    >do not mention something which you later rely on in urc. Anything you do
    >say may be misinterpreted and used against you."



    Lol. :)
     
  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:05:42 +0000, Mark Thompson wrote:
    > <young older git mode>
    > I remember talking to someone using ink, paper, envelopes and postage
    > stamps.
    > </yogm>


    I don't understand... how did you get all of them into the computer?

    Jon
     
  9. We Are Devo!

    We Are Devo! Guest

    On 06/05/2006 Jon Senior wrote :
    > On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:05:42 +0000, Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> <young older git mode>
    >> I remember talking to someone using ink, paper, envelopes and postage
    >> stamps.
    >> </yogm>


    > I don't understand... how did you get all of them into the computer?


    > Jon


    There used to be a big 5 1/4 inch hole on the front for those things
    ;-)

    --
    "He plays four-and-a-half-hour sets. That's torture.
    Does he hate his audience?" (On Bruce Springsteen.)
    - John Lydon
     
  10. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > Squashme ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Simon Brooke wrote:
    > >> in message <[email protected]>,
    > >> Squashme ('[email protected]') wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > Despite the size of the Web, many accounts of events seem to turn up
    > >> > only once. Last time that I looked there was only one account of the
    > >> > trial of the Sheffield assailant. Oh no, have we been had?
    > >>
    > >> This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    > >> older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    > >> Usenet is older than that, too.

    > >
    > > You can imagine how much I care. I am much older than that, too.

    >
    > You are? Frankly, I doubt it.


    You have a right to doubt. Still, last December you believed the
    account of the Sheffield attack.
    No online birth certificate, I'm afraid. I tend to tell the truth as I
    believe it, whether necessary or not.
     
  11. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > Squashme ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >>> 2. It doesn't have the impression (albeit unintended) of an
    >>> inflammatory posting trolling for a knee-jerk repsonse with no
    >>> contemporary support where support would have been expected.

    >>
    >> Despite the size of the Web, many accounts of events seem to turn up
    >> only once. Last time that I looked there was only one account of the
    >> trial of the Sheffield assailant. Oh no, have we been had?

    >
    > This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    > older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    > Usenet is older than that, too.


    Ob pedant: Usenet, invented 1979. ARPANET, invented 1969. Usenet first
    transfered over NNTP, a TCP protocol, 1985.
    --
    Ambrose
     
  12. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Simon Brooke wrote:


    > > This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    > > older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    > > Usenet is older than that, too.

    >
    > Ob pedant: Usenet, invented 1979. ARPANET, invented 1969. Usenet first
    > transfered over NNTP, a TCP protocol, 1985.


    The emergence of nntp does not predate the existence of usenet. It
    merely announces the migration of Usenet to TCP.

    ...d
     
  13. David Martin wrote:
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:

    >
    >>> This isn't the Web. This is Usenet. A completely different and much
    >>> older beast. And before you say 'oh, well, I meant the Internet',
    >>> Usenet is older than that, too.

    >>
    >> Ob pedant: Usenet, invented 1979. ARPANET, invented 1969. Usenet
    >> first transfered over NNTP, a TCP protocol, 1985.

    >
    > The emergence of nntp does not predate the existence of usenet. It
    > merely announces the migration of Usenet to TCP.


    Isn't that what I said?
    --
    Ambrose
     
  14. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    > Pinky wrote:
    > > So I shouldn't have done it "publicly" -- sorry for that ----but he remains
    > > my kill file! No regrets about that action at all!
    > >

    >
    > Pinky,
    >
    > I have never, to my recollection, claimed my position as a police
    > officer made me right over others by mystical right and I have often
    > chastised my fellows on this newsgroup where that has been warranted. I
    > hope also I have offered some humour from the 'other side' when I have
    > had something which others might enjoy. This was one of those
    > occasions, if you find it unbelievable I can do nothing to convince you
    > otherwise however it is a true and faithful representation of the facts
    > as viewed from my motorcycle and I can think of no reason for posting it
    > otherwise as the majority of the replies have been to inform you of my
    > veracity rather than to challenge the substance of the post. Had you
    > not been so forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have
    > raised more than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was
    > it's intent. Had I riled against this fellows behaviour and launched
    > into a diatribe about poor cycling and cyclists in general then I could
    > understand your ire. However I did not I was dumbfounded and amazed by
    > his bare faced cheek and almost mystical seeming blitheness in doing
    > what he wanted to do and getting away with it.
    >


    So he wasn't breaking any laws then?
     
  15. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 May 2006 07:11:37 GMT, "Sniper8052(L96A1)"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hardly olympic athelete standard but 600cc's of Japans finest velocipede
    > > in the shape of my venerable Sam the Yam on the way into work. No
    > >problem at all to keep track of him with all that power to spare.

    >
    > Do you truly say that your original report was the truth, the whole
    > truth, and nothing but the truth? Or did you fill in the bits where
    > your memory failed you with tiny bits of poetic licence?


    I had cause yesterday to be discussing recent events with a member of
    Taysides finest who was recording my utterances in his notebook[1]. Two
    things were somewhat disconcerting. Firstly was the attempt to put
    words into my mouth for the purpose of the statement he was requesting
    I sign. I gently admonished him for that, and a few minor presumptions.
    The one which I did not raise but occurred to me later was that the
    statement had been written in his note book in pencil, wheras I signed
    it in ink. Maybe Sniper could confirm whether writing details into a
    notebook *in pencil* and asking someone to sign it is standard
    practice?

    ...d

    [1] He took more notes than the students in my lectures. If he had been
    a recent graduate he wouldn't have written anything down, just asked
    for the handout instead ;-(
     
  16. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I can kill fill anyone that I wish to remove from my view. That is an
    >> aspect of the pc programs which is a very personal but invaluable tool.

    >
    > Could you kill file me please? I'm sure at some stage I'll write something
    > which gets on your nerve, and I feel it's best to tackle these sort of
    > things proactively.
    >
    > clive

    with pleasure!
    *plonk*

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
     
  17. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    We Are Devo! wrote:
    >
    > There used to be a big 5 1/4 inch hole on the front for those things ;-)
    >


    That small?

    Mine was 8 inches.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and restart
    body.
     
  18. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 12:04:26 -0700, David Martin wrote:
    > I had cause yesterday to be discussing recent events with a member of
    > Taysides finest who was recording my utterances in his notebook[1]. Two
    > things were somewhat disconcerting. Firstly was the attempt to put
    > words into my mouth for the purpose of the statement he was requesting
    > I sign. I gently admonished him for that, and a few minor presumptions.
    > The one which I did not raise but occurred to me later was that the
    > statement had been written in his note book in pencil, wheras I signed
    > it in ink. Maybe Sniper could confirm whether writing details into a
    > notebook *in pencil* and asking someone to sign it is standard
    > practice?


    WTF? Er... time for an official complaint methinks. IIRC they are supposed
    to write leaving no margins so that nothing can be added later. Did he
    hand you the pen, having used a pencil to write it? That sounds like a
    deliberate attempt to "pervert the course..."!

    Jon
     
  19. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    Top posted

    Circumnavigating the circumnavigation

    Sniper 8052 (-- is that your police number?)

    addressed to the policeman on his motorbike using his official position to
    raise comment on a NG

    It was clear from your narrative, on your original post, that you had a
    beginning to end view of the described event. I wonder which traffic law and
    highway code violations that you perpetratrated during your observations.
    It was clear to me that you were either the cyclist in question ( or a very
    close observer of some kind -- I actually thought it was a result of camera
    surveillance and not a policeman on a motorbike probably breaking as many
    rule/codes/laws as did the cyclist). You did not state in your post, your
    source; and that being the case it was wide open to a rightful criticism!

    I have an implicit distrust in an organisation which has so many
    shortcomings ( I am talking about the generic term of police - which being
    such a fragmented "organisation" it is difficult to be specific.). I see
    constables hurtling around in their cars dong little more than adding to the
    traffic chaos. When I was knocked of my bike by a car at the end of January
    this year, after the first police car arrived, another 3 cars (each with 2
    constables) turned up doing absolutely nothing other than to create traffic
    chaos. And don't think that is an unusual incident I have seen it again and
    again. Pressure to recruit to cover ever widening shortcomings means a
    lowering of standards and the countrywide police forces are all susceptible
    to this.

    However, using your special information on this NG, without declaring your
    heavy professional interest, was, in my opinion, at least unwise and at
    most extremely provoking.


    " ......Had you
    >> not been so forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have
    >> raised more than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was it's
    >> intent.... "


    By the way I didn't find it at all "smile making!" It smirked of
    arrogance! And finding that the post was made by a policeman on a motorbike
    only reinforces that opinion.



    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > <Standard killfile circumvention button pushed>
    > Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    >>
    >> Pinky,
    >>
    >> I have never, to my recollection, claimed my position as a police officer
    >> made me right over others by mystical right and I have often chastised my
    >> fellows on this newsgroup where that has been warranted. I hope also I
    >> have offered some humour from the 'other side' when I have had something
    >> which others might enjoy. This was one of those occasions, if you find
    >> it unbelievable I can do nothing to convince you otherwise however it is
    >> a true and faithful representation of the facts as viewed from my
    >> motorcycle and I can think of no reason for posting it otherwise as the
    >> majority of the replies have been to inform you of my veracity rather
    >> than to challenge the substance of the post. Had you not been so
    >> forthright in your statements of right I doubt it would have raised more
    >> than a ripple of a smile on some readers faces which was it's intent.
    >> Had I riled against this fellows behaviour and launched into a diatribe
    >> about poor cycling and cyclists in general then I could understand your
    >> ire. However I did not I was dumbfounded and amazed by his bare faced
    >> cheek and almost mystical seeming blitheness in doing what he wanted to
    >> do and getting away with it.
    >>
    >> Yours
    >>
    >> Sniper8052
     
  20. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 May 2006 12:04:26 -0700, David Martin wrote:
    > > I had cause yesterday to be discussing recent events with a member of
    > > Taysides finest who was recording my utterances in his notebook[1]. Two
    > > things were somewhat disconcerting. Firstly was the attempt to put
    > > words into my mouth for the purpose of the statement he was requesting
    > > I sign. I gently admonished him for that, and a few minor presumptions.
    > > The one which I did not raise but occurred to me later was that the
    > > statement had been written in his note book in pencil, wheras I signed
    > > it in ink. Maybe Sniper could confirm whether writing details into a
    > > notebook *in pencil* and asking someone to sign it is standard
    > > practice?

    >
    > WTF? Er... time for an official complaint methinks. IIRC they are supposed
    > to write leaving no margins so that nothing can be added later.

    That was the case.
    > Did he
    > hand you the pen, having used a pencil to write it?

    Yes
    > That sounds like a deliberate attempt to "pervert the course..."!


    More like standard practice, then 'oh, must get the signature in ink -
    out with the pen.'
    Had I been on the ball I'd have asked him to rewrite it in pen. He did
    push me to make a specific statement of opinion which I naturally
    qualified. It wasn't particularly important at the time. Had it been so
    I would hopefully have been more aware. Next time I will be.

    ...d
     
Loading...