Charoset for a hundred with Barb's Jam

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lynn from Fargo, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. The seders are Wednesday and Thursday. The first one for just three
    families, the second for the whole community (well, at least 80 of
    them!)

    I made the charoset (kind of "sephardickeh") with many many dried
    fruits, fresh oranges, pomegranite juice, honey, lots of different nuts
    and every spice you can imagine (including a little chipotle!) Then I
    "glued" it all together with a jar of Barb's Cherry Jam and a couple
    of slugs of brandy.

    I will post the ingredient list later.

    It's good stuff, Maynard!

    Lynn in Fargo
    Roasting asparagus with hazelnuts to go with the brisket

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The seders are Wednesday and Thursday. The first one for just three
    > families, the second for the whole community (well, at least 80 of
    > them!)
    >
    > I made the charoset (kind of "sephardickeh") with many many dried
    > fruits, fresh oranges, pomegranite juice, honey, lots of different nuts
    > and every spice you can imagine (including a little chipotle!) Then I
    > "glued" it all together with a jar of Barb's Cherry Jam and a couple
    > of slugs of brandy.
    >
    > I will post the ingredient list later.
    >
    > It's good stuff, Maynard!
    >

    > Lynn in Fargo
    > Roasting asparagus with hazelnuts to go with the brisket

    Oh, Lordy!! It sounds absolutely wonderful, Lynn!! I'm honored that my
    stuff has been included! Yum!! Any nuts in it?
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I made the charoset (kind of "sephardickeh") with many many dried
    > fruits, fresh oranges, pomegranite juice, honey, lots of different nuts

    Uh, I guess it does have nuts! <blush>
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

  4. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Lynn from Fargo wrote:

    > The seders are Wednesday and Thursday. The first one for just three
    > families, the second for the whole community (well, at least 80 of
    > them!)
    >
    > I made the charoset (kind of "sephardickeh") with many many dried
    > fruits, fresh oranges, pomegranite juice, honey, lots of different nuts
    > and every spice you can imagine (including a little chipotle!) Then I
    > "glued" it all together with a jar of Barb's Cherry Jam and a couple
    > of slugs of brandy.
    >
    > I will post the ingredient list later.
    >
    > It's good stuff, Maynard!

    Was the brandy for you or the charoseth?

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    > >
    > > I made the charoset (kind of "sephardickeh") with many many dried
    > > fruits, fresh oranges, pomegranite juice, honey, lots of different nuts
    > > and every spice you can imagine (including a little chipotle!) Then I
    > > "glued" it all together with a jar of Barb's Cherry Jam and a couple
    > > of slugs of brandy.
    > >
    > > I will post the ingredient list later.
    > >
    > > It's good stuff, Maynard!
    > >

    > Was the brandy for you or the charoseth?

    I'm sure it was for the charoset, but there IS that issue of Quality
    Control, doncha know. "-) Can't be serving inferior ingredients.
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

  6. Cherry Charoset
    (for 100)

    1 jar Barb Schaller's Cherry Jam (from Gedney's)

    1 pkg SunMaid mixed dried fruit (apples, raisins, pears, apricots,
    prunes)
    1 pkg dried tropical fruit mix ( papaya, mango, pineapple)
    1 cup craisins
    1 cup dried cherries
    1 pkg chopped dates
    1 pkg golden raisins
    1 pkg Zante currants

    Zest, pulp & juice of 2 whole oranges (no white pith)
    half a bottle of Pomegranite juice

    (ALL these nuts were toasted)
    1 cup (or more) EACH: pecans, walnuts, macadamias & pignoli
    big "handful" EACH: cashews, almonds, brazils, filberts

    cinnamon
    cloves
    nutmeg
    mace
    fresh grated ginger ( about 2 tbs)
    allspice
    garam masala
    powdered chipotle chile (about 1 tsp)
    1/4 cup - or more? Brandy
    chopped pistachios

    Grind all the dried fruits and the oranges & zest in meat/food
    grinder. Chop all the nuts fairly fine (I used chopper attachment for
    my new Braun stick blender)
    Mix together. Stir in jam, spices and enough pomegranite juice to make
    it really "sticky".
    Stir in brandy. When you serve it, sprinkle the top with pistachio
    nuts.

    Happy Pesach
    Lynn from Fargo

  7. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I made the charoset (kind of "sephardickeh") with many many dried
    > > > fruits, fresh oranges, pomegranite juice, honey, lots of different nuts
    > > > and every spice you can imagine (including a little chipotle!) Then I
    > > > "glued" it all together with a jar of Barb's Cherry Jam and a couple
    > > > of slugs of brandy.
    > > >
    > > > I will post the ingredient list later.
    > > >
    > > > It's good stuff, Maynard!
    > > >

    > > Was the brandy for you or the charoseth?

    > I'm sure it was for the charoset, but there IS that issue of Quality
    > Control, doncha know. "-) Can't be serving inferior ingredients.
    > --
    > -Barb

    Of course not LOL!