Chas Roberts in Croydon

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Hare, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Richard Hare

    Richard Hare Guest

    Hi

    Has anyone had any dealing with Chas Roberts bikes in Croydon recently? I ask as I ordered a bike
    there in February and am still yet to receive it. I was led to believe that these bikes are about as
    good as a steel frame bike can get, so I ordered a Rough Stuff with a Rohloff hub. The salesman, a
    guy called Andrew had trouble locating the dropouts for this hub and it wasn't till July that he
    eventually got hold of them. I can understand that problems like this can occur, but for some reason
    and despite many phone calls on my part, he has continually failed to send me a finalized spec and
    build the bike. I just don't understand why each time I call he promises to get the bike finished in
    x number of weeks/days and each time he fails without even bothering to contact me. I have now had
    to resort to writing to the company and even letters have gone unreplied.

    I am now at the point where I can't trust anything I am told by the company and to be honest I would
    prefer to have my £400 deposit back and go elsewhere!

    I'd like to know if anyone with experience of dealing with the company shed any light on this? Are
    they always so slap dash with their customer relations? Or is it just this salesman. Or maybe it's
    me, quaintly expecting people in an established and respected business not to behave like dodgy
    second hand car dealers! Regards

    Rik

    Tags:

  2. "Richard Hare" <[email protected]"nospam"clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone had any dealing with Chas Roberts bikes in Croydon recently? I ask as I ordered a bike
    > there in February and am still yet to receive it.
    > was led to believe that these bikes are about as good as a steel frame
    bike
    > can get, so I ordered a Rough Stuff with a Rohloff hub. The salesman, a
    guy
    > called Andrew had trouble locating the dropouts for this hub and it
    wasn't
    > till July that he eventually got hold of them. I can understand that problems like this can occur,
    > but for some reason and despite many phone calls on my part, he has continually failed to send me
    > a finalized spec
    and
    > build the bike. I just don't understand why each time I call he promises
    > get the bike finished in x number of weeks/days and each time he fails without even bothering to
    > contact me. I have now had to resort to writing to the company and even letters have gone
    > unreplied.
    >
    > I am now at the point where I can't trust anything I am told by the
    company
    > and to be honest I would prefer to have my £400 deposit back and go elsewhere!
    >
    > I'd like to know if anyone with experience of dealing with the company
    shed
    > any light on this? Are they always so slap dash with their customer relations? Or is it just this
    > salesman. Or maybe it's me, quaintly expecting people in an established and respected business not
    > to behave like dodgy second hand car dealers! Regards
    >
    > Rik

    I have a Roberts road bike 4 years old. I spent ages planning the spec but the saddle was not the
    exact one I wanted and the wrong handlebars were fitted. They fitted the correct bars immediately
    but I accepted the saddle. The bike fits like a glove and rides like a dream. The frames are great
    but you have to watch them on the details. I would buy from them again their bikes are worth a
    little bit of hassle.

    Ken.

  3. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Richard Hare" <[email protected]"nospam wrote:

    > I'd like to know if anyone with experience of dealing with the company shed any light on this? Are
    > they always so slap dash with their customer relations? Or is it just this salesman. Or maybe it's
    > me, quaintly expecting people in an established and respected business not to behave like dodgy
    > second hand car dealers! Regards
    >
    > Rik

    Its the cycle trade. The best cycle shops are owned and run by people wjo love bikes and cycling but
    have no head for business. You have to have no head for buisness as theres bugger all money to be
    made in it if you love bikes and cycling.

    I was in it for 7 years or so.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  4. Richard Hare

    Richard Hare Guest

    Agreed....

    but customer relationships are just like any other relationship. For example if I continually made
    arrangements to meet you in the pub for a drink and then always failed to show up without offerning
    an apology or an explanation you'd think there was something wrong and you'd probably want to
    curtail the relationship .....I know I would and do! I don't think it's got much to do with how much
    money they are making or how much they love cycling, just good manners and respect really.

    Rik

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Richard Hare" <[email protected]"nospam wrote:
    > >
    > > I'd like to know if anyone with experience of dealing with the company shed any light on this?
    > > Are they always so slap dash with their customer relations? Or is it just this salesman. Or
    > > maybe it's me, quaintly expecting people in an established and respected business not to behave
    > > like dodgy second hand car dealers! Regards
    > >
    > > Rik
    >
    > Its the cycle trade. The best cycle shops are owned and run by people wjo love bikes and cycling
    > but have no head for business. You have to have no head for buisness as theres bugger all money to
    > be made in it if you love bikes and cycling.
    >
    > I was in it for 7 years or so.
    >
    > --
    > Andy Morris
    >
    > AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK
    >

    > Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes

  5. Richard Hare

    Richard Hare Guest

    Ken I know, I spent a long time deciding what spec I wanted and talking to other cyclists about
    the best frame builders to complete this spec, and to be honest I am prepared to put with a fare
    bit of hassle when looking to get hold of my dream bike, I'd even be prepared to wait as long as I
    have (since February 1st) but I'm less prepared to put up with people who promise they'll supply
    something just to get me off the phone and then can' t be bothered to contact me when things go
    off schedule.

    Rik

    "Kenneth Clements" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:paocb.3650$%[email protected]...

    > I have a Roberts road bike 4 years old. I spent ages planning the spec but the saddle was not the
    > exact one I wanted and the wrong handlebars
    were
    > fitted. They fitted the correct bars immediately but I accepted the saddle. The bike fits like a
    > glove and rides like a dream. The frames are great
    but
    > you have to watch them on the details. I would buy from them again their bikes are worth a little
    > bit of hassle.
    >
    > Ken.

  6. > I'm less prepared to put up with people who promise they'll supply something just to get me off
    > the phone and then
    can'
    > t be bothered to contact me when things go off schedule.
    >
    > Rik

    Rik,

    I totally agree with you; I've never dealt with Chas Roberts, but when I've had similar problems
    with other suppliers (in several industries, not just cycling!), my initial approach to the top
    people has been 'I will deal with your company, but I won't deal with that person'. If the second
    person has the same attitude, then I have to go somewhere else, but it rarely comes to that. I can
    understand things being late, but I can't understand unprofessionalism.

    Regards,

    Pete.

  7. Sue Rogers

    Sue Rogers Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Richard Hare"
    <[email protected]"nospam"clara.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone had any dealing with Chas Roberts bikes in Croydon recently?

    Not recently (8 years ago for my touring bike which is superb) but a friend's friend recently
    ordered from them on my recommendation about 3 months ago. He got his touring bike built and
    delivered to his spec very quickly and is over the moon with it.

    I'd phone and speak to Chas himself to get the problem sorted pronto. They're a nice bunch of
    guys and they build terrific bikes. Persevere with it, you'll be really glad you did once you've
    got the bike.

  8. Slightly OT, but when riding your Roberts bike in France expect a few smirks from the locals.

    Apparently, Roberts is slang for t*ts...

  9. Richard Hare

    Richard Hare Guest

    I think we can say tits on this newsgroup can't we?

    Anyway Les Roberts still haven't built my bike!

    "Nigel Shoosmith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Slightly OT, but when riding your Roberts bike in France expect a few smirks from the locals.
    >
    > Apparently, Roberts is slang for t*ts...

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Hare" <[email protected]"nospam wrote:
    > I think we can say tits on this newsgroup can't we?
    >
    > Anyway Les Roberts still haven't built my bike!

    Is that Les(lie) Roberts or "les roberts"?

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain