chased by a cat!

Mr R@T \ -Lsqco

Guest
whilst cycling into town one night I heard a horrendous yowl; looked behind me, and found that a
tom-cat, having seen off one rival, was now running behind my bike, still yowling! after *me*!

It was quite dark, and I am not too proud to say that this unnerved me to the extent that I sped up
quite rapidly and left the animal some distance behind, although it certainly chased me for a good 6
metres or so - it was only some seconds later I realised this was merely /felis silvestris catus/
and not some jungle creature!

I didn't think cats would bother chasing bikes (although mine has vaulted my bike before to get to
its food bowl, and it is normally rather lazy). Was this just a particularly belligerent specimen?

Alex

>Was this just a particularly belligerent specimen?

No, it was just doing it becasue, as a cat, it could.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> whilst cycling into town one night I heard a horrendous yowl; looked
behind
> me, and found that a tom-cat, having seen off one rival, was now running behind my bike, still
> yowling! after *me*!
>
> It was quite dark, and I am not too proud to say that this unnerved me to the extent that I sped
> up quite rapidly and left the animal some distance behind, although it certainly chased me for a
> good 6 metres or so - it was only some seconds later I realised this was merely /felis silvestris
catus/
> and not some jungle creature!
>
> I didn't think cats would bother chasing bikes (although mine has vaulted
my
> bike before to get to its food bowl, and it is normally rather lazy). Was this just a particularly
> belligerent specimen?
>
> Alex

Was this cat wearing a hat?...a red and white hooped cartoon topper type ?..... Noting your handle,
Mr R@t, a certain idea springs to mind ;-) Dave.

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Was this just a particularly belligerent specimen?
>
> No, it was just doing it becasue, as a cat, it could.

Its very unlike a cat to expend any energy (I could leave it there) for any good reason. I'm very
surprised that a cat would behave that even if enormously riled. They don't have the same sense of
human territory that dogs do.

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Was this just a particularly belligerent specimen?
>
> No, it was just doing it becasue, as a cat, it could.

And you, ebing Mr R@t, should'a slammed on your brakes and brake'd its noze ;-)

Trev

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] wrote:
> It was quite dark, and I am not too proud to say that this unnerved me to the extent that I sped
> up quite rapidly and left the animal some distance behind, although it certainly chased me for a
> good 6 metres or so - it was only some seconds later I realised this was merely /felis silvestris
> catus/ and not some jungle creature!

No need to be ashamed - sometimes our instincts do take over:)

> I didn't think cats would bother chasing bikes (although mine has vaulted my bike before to get to
> its food bowl, and it is normally rather lazy). Was this just a particularly belligerent specimen?

Guess so, but maybe you should consider washing your bike shoes:)

Still, my parents used to have a cat which could tell the sound of different bikes apart and
whenever I came home be it after school or after a night out it would come running - and I know by
experiment that it only did it with me if I was on a borrowed bike it wouldn't come running!

Once it got to me it would be dodgeing in front of the wheels causing me to stop so it could get a
lift ten metres or so back to the house.

Kind regards

Bruno

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
keyboard of "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> only some seconds later I realised this was merely /felis silvestris catus/ and not some jungle
> creature!

Don't be deceived. What you saw was just what the cat wanted you to see; a mere projection of the
greater self from L-space.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> whilst cycling into town one night I heard a horrendous yowl; looked
behind
> me, and found that a tom-cat, having seen off one rival, was now running behind my bike, still
> yowling! after *me*!
>
> It was quite dark, and I am not too proud to say that this unnerved me to the extent that I sped
> up quite rapidly and left the animal some distance behind, although it certainly chased me for a
> good 6 metres or so - it was only some seconds later I realised this was merely /felis silvestris
catus/
> and not some jungle creature!
>
> I didn't think cats would bother chasing bikes (although mine has vaulted
my
> bike before to get to its food bowl, and it is normally rather lazy). Was this just a particularly
> belligerent specimen?
>
> Alex

And you didn't stop and give it a good kicking? What's the world coming to?

elyob wrote:
>> "Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...=20
>>> whilst cycling into town one night I heard a horrendous yowl; looked behind me, and found that a
>>> tom-cat, having seen off one rival, was now running behind my bike, still yowling! after *me*!
>>>=20
>>> It was quite dark, and I am not too proud to say that this unnerved me to the extent that I sped
>>> up quite rapidly and left the animal some distance behind, although it certainly chased me for a
>>> good 6 metres or so - it was only some seconds later I realised this was merely /felis
>>> silvestris catus/ and not some jungle creature!
>>>=20
>>> I didn't think cats would bother chasing bikes (although mine has vaulted my bike before to get
>>> to its food bowl, and it is normally rather lazy). Was this just a particularly belligerent
>>> specimen?
>>>=20
>>> Alex
>>>=20 20
>>=20
>> And you didn't stop and give it a good kicking? What's the world coming to?=20

....and from someone who had to have stitches after *just* playing with = his cat, I'd say the
*cycling faster* option is the preferable one!!

---

[email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Oh but they do - cats are very territorial in nature.

yes but when the rival is obviously bigger and better armed, like a human, this usually extends to
sneakily 'spraying' (pissing on) your saddle while you are otherwide occupied or coming around and
crapping in your vegetable patch.

Its those bad bad cats of the CPL at work!

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I'm very surprised that a cat would behave that even if enormously riled.
>
> You've not met Waffles. She's ruler of these here parts - Queen Of All She

well, I haven't mentioned M. Bou yet. He's a fine metric 4.6Kg

> >They don't have the same sense of human territory that dogs do.
>
> Oh but they do - cats are very territorial in nature.

Thats not what I said though. Dogs pick up where their territory lies from humans. Cats do their own
thing and decide their own boundaries, and don't bother with humans.

In general they don't wish to chase people off their territory.