Chased by a scary dog

On Feb 29, 10:25 am, nafuk <[email protected]> wrote:

>>It is to do with sorting out who

is top dog and staring is a challenge. <<

These attacks by dogs, in my experience, aren't sparked by eye
contact. The attack usually comes from behind or the side, when
poochy-poo has spotted you from afar and thinks you're fair game.

And if I were to let the growling, snapping hound see that I was
prepared to be submissive then I expect it would exert its
'superiority' every time it saw me, or another cyclist. I'm not
prepared to take that chance. It's like letting a bully get away with
it, he'll only seek out similar targets to show them who's top dog.

I will not allow some mutt to dictate my behaviour. (Other than
giving it a sore face.)

Calum

calum <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 29, 10:25 am, nafuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> It is to do with sorting out who

> is top dog and staring is a challenge. <<
>
> These attacks by dogs, in my experience, aren't sparked by eye
> contact. The attack usually comes from behind or the side, when
> poochy-poo has spotted you from afar and thinks you're fair game.
>
> And if I were to let the growling, snapping hound see that I was
> prepared to be submissive then I expect it would exert its
> 'superiority' every time it saw me, or another cyclist. I'm not
> prepared to take that chance. It's like letting a bully get away
> with
> it, he'll only seek out similar targets to show them who's top dog.
>
> I will not allow some mutt to dictate my behaviour. (Other than
> giving it a sore face.)

That's the spirit.
Carry a sawn-off shotgun somewhere on the bike where you can reach it
easily. Next time he goes for you, let him have both barrels, right
between the eyes.
That should teach him who's boss ;-)

--

Geoff

On Feb 29, 4:09 pm, "GeoffC" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's the spirit.
> Carry a sawn-off shotgun somewhere on the bike where you can reach it
> easily.

Oooh, there's an idea.
I wonder if Beretta do a handlebar mount.....

Calum

Alan Braggins wrote:

> IIRC Richard's Bicycle Book recommended some lead tape wrapped inside the
> handle of a traditional pump. This assumes an accessible pump and a lack
> of obsession with the weight of your bike.

just get a hpx they weigh a ton anyway, but they do actually pump tires up.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtjinkasDotfreeserve.co.uk

nafuk wrote:
> On 28 Feb, 08:53, Mike J <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was cycling on a shared cycle path in a park at 8pm last night. I had
>> a hi-vis jacket and proper lights on when from nowhere a very scary dog
>> started to chase me. It was stout, muscular and black and gold, maybe a
>> Rottie mongrel - I couldn't tell, it was dark.
>>
>> I thought I could outrun it but it was fast so I just stopped, turned my
>> bike at a right angle to maximise my size and stood behind it. I stared
>> at the dog and with my loudest voice I shouted F*** off. It did too.
>>
>> I found the owners of the dog and told them about keeping dogs under
>> control in public areas and rode off.
>>
>> I'm rather annoyed by this. I have a dog which I considerately walk
>> around this park and keep under control. I cycle through it everyday too
>> and most regular dog walkers say hello because they recognise me and
>> that I will always slow down and give their dogs a wide berth. It's
>> consideration and courtesy isn't it?
>>
>> So, what's the best way to deal with this sort of situation? It was a
>> very scary dog and I don't want this to happen to someone else. Would
>> the police take any action? Probably not. I'm really wondering what are
>> the best comments I should make to owners of uncontrolled dogs like this
>> to make them take action without being threatening.
>>
>> Anyway, sorry for the rant. It's really got me annoyed. Aaaarrrgghhh.

> A friend of mine who had a lot of experience with dogs told me that
> you should look away and ignore it. It is to do with sorting out who
> is top dog and staring is a challenge.

Right diagnosis, wrong cure. The cure is, demonstrate physically that it
isn't the top dog. Whip it's ****. If you back away and play meek, it
will try the same trick on the next stranger, who may be less able to
defend themselves than you are.

What really, really irritates me about this is the owners ... they seem to
think you're to blame for getting upset!

I had a dog run at me aggressively from the side on my bike, and I managed
to kick it under the jaw just as it lunged. Made a horrible sound and the
dog was not happy. I had to get away fast because the owner was angry!!

Another time I was out walking in an open area, I was on my cellphone with a
traumatic family call, and this bloke's dog suddely came running at me,
teeth bared, barking. I just reacted, and said, "Get that f**ing dog away
from me NOW!!!". Not nice from a 'sweet' little middle-aged lady, I know
..... said bloke looked really shocked and annoyed!

Why, why do people think their little furry pets are not appreciated by
other people when they're allowed to behave like this?

Barb UK

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:55:06 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The cure is, demonstrate physically that it isn't the top dog. Whip it's
> ****.

Absolutely! You must become the Biggest Dog Ever.

--
Regards
Alex

"calum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On Feb 29, 10:25 am, nafuk <[email protected]> wrote:

>I will not allow some mutt to dictate my behaviour. (Other than
>giving it a sore face.)

Problem is, with some breeds, if they want to take you down they will take
you down and there is little you can do about it.

In article <[email protected]>, Adam Lea
[email protected] says...

> "calum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Feb 29, 10:25 am, nafuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I will not allow some mutt to dictate my behaviour. (Other than
> >giving it a sore face.)

> Problem is, with some breeds, if they want to take you down they will take
> you down and there is little you can do about it.

Apart from feeding them your bike. :)

"Barb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What really, really irritates me about this is the owners ... they seem to
> think you're to blame for getting upset!
>
> I had a dog run at me aggressively from the side on my bike, and I managed
> to kick it under the jaw just as it lunged. Made a horrible sound and the
> dog was not happy. I had to get away fast because the owner was angry!!
>
> Another time I was out walking in an open area, I was on my cellphone with a
> traumatic family call, and this bloke's dog suddely came running at me,
> teeth bared, barking. I just reacted, and said, "Get that f**ing dog away
> from me NOW!!!". Not nice from a 'sweet' little middle-aged lady, I know
> .... said bloke looked really shocked and annoyed!
>
> Why, why do people think their little furry pets are not appreciated by
> other people when they're allowed to behave like this?
>
> Barb UK

On my trip down the Rhein in 2006 I was attacked by a Yorkshire terrier ( what
an insult to a Yorkshireman!). As it snapped, barked and finally nipped my
ankle, its owner ( in German naturlich!) said the usual -- "he won't hurt you,
he's only a puppy" and laughed as the mutt hung on to my ankle!

I confess that I managed to get hold of the ferocious mutt by the scruff of
the net and being only a metre from the edge of the Rhein threatened to
throw the bl**dy thing far out into the river. I admit to being a tad irate
and was glad that my German is fluent enough to use all the expletives I
knew. It was a very near thing for that dog cos ! certainly gave it a good
trial swing!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> IIRC Richard's Bicycle Book recommended some lead tape wrapped inside the
> handle of a traditional pump. This assumes an accessible pump and a lack
> of obsession with the weight of your bike. Also that you've already tried
> non-violent methods of discouraging it and are forced to defend yourself

Going north, half way up the pretty tough Ewden Bank (Strines Moor Road,
Yorkshire) is.a farm. The farms family name is Clancy.
Any time I'm ascending I look to see if any fancy birds (unusual chickens,
even fluffy turkeys) are out on the road.
If not - BEWARE!

There is a really horrible little terrier thing that chases us cyclists. It
is truly nasty and has a real instinct/ sense for a pump with a campag end
heading for it. It's chewed the heel of my shoes and feet. I've told
these Clancys that I'm off to Stocksbridge cop shop to report it next time.

"Oh! it chases all the cycerlists" Is all I get.

John "anyone got an AK47" Clayton