chased down the garbage man today

small change

Guest
You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.

Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
the spds.

Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)

Penny

small change wrote:
> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
> holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
> feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
> truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
> other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
> blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
>
> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> the spds.
>
> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
>
> Penny

Nice..... TR (trash report)
_____
Slack

small change wrote:
> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
> holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy.

In Burbank they pick up on their scheduled day every week of the year
even if it's Christmas.

> I was
> feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
> truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
> other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
> blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
>
> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> the spds.
>
> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)

Nice!

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

small change wrote:
> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
> holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
> feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
> truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
> other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
> blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
>
> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> the spds.
>
> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
>
> Penny

Now that's funny...

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> small change wrote:
>> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a
>> partial holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the
>> trash guy. I was feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the
>> extra blocks to chase the truck down, to ask him to stop back by the
>> house when he comes back down the other side of the street. We (
>> hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost blew it off, decided to
>> let it all pile up until next week.
>>
>> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
>> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash
>> truck to ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running
>> down there, and I didn't even have to take my slippers off. They
>> gave me plenty of traction on the spds.
>>
>> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
>>
>> Penny

> Now that's funny...
>
> CDB

it would have been funnier if I was still in my bathrobe. But I'd already
gotten dress ( except for shoes, no shoes on the new floors.)

That has to be one of the saddest RR's I've seen in a while.

My weekend wasn't much better.

Rode Red Mesa. Hike-a-bike. Fresh technical trails. Slickrock.
Homebrew at the car. Sadly didn't get out on Saturday and now
(thankfully) things are snowed in at the higher elevations.

Bruce

Trash talking - I thought only JD did that! :)

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

news:[email protected]...

small change wrote:
> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
> holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
> feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
> truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
> other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
> blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
>
> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> the spds.
>
> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
>
> Penny

/RANT ON/

Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes. On top
of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only require a driver
to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So instead cutting
back the employees when they moved from a three man truck to one man,
they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs within the town
(instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping from the trails I
ride on).

Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three days
so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my block (no
way did those cans cost $75).

/RANT OFF/

Thanks for stirring me up, Penny.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> small change wrote:
> > You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
> > holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
> > feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
> > truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
> > other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
> > blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
> >
> > Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> > Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> > ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> > didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> > the spds.
> >
> > Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
> >
> > Penny
> >

> /RANT ON/
>
> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
> you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
> anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
> transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
> to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
> until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes. On top
> of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only require a driver
> to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So instead cutting
> back the employees when they moved from a three man truck to one man,
> they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs within the town
> (instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping from the trails I
> ride on).
>
> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three days
> so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my block (no
> way did those cans cost $75).
>
> /RANT OFF/
>
> Thanks for stirring me up, Penny.
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Do you recycle and/or compost? Its amazing (and satisfying) to see how
much it reduces the amount that's carted to the landfills.
That's a funny post, Penny. I could just imagine running down Eastern
Parkway asking the Brooklyn garbage guys to turn around because I was
late bringing my trash out. Ten to one their expressions would be worth
photographing. "'Scuse me, I need you to back up...."
LOL!

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:

>> /RANT ON/
>>
>> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
>> you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
>> anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
>> transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
>> to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
>> until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes. On top
>> of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only require a driver
>> to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So instead cutting
>> back the employees when they moved from a three man truck to one man,
>> they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs within the town
>> (instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping from the trails I
>> ride on).
>>
>> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three days
>> so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my block (no
>> way did those cans cost $75).
>>
>> /RANT OFF/
>>
>> Thanks for stirring me up, Penny.
>>

>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

> Do you recycle and/or compost? Its amazing (and satisfying) to see how
> much it reduces the amount that's carted to the landfills.
> That's a funny post, Penny. I could just imagine running down Eastern
> Parkway asking the Brooklyn garbage guys to turn around because I was
> late bringing my trash out. Ten to one their expressions would be worth
> photographing. "'Scuse me, I need you to back up...."
> LOL!
>
> /s

Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
(cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?

I am a believer in privatized municipal utilities (water, sewage, and
garbage) of which my town has none. Thus, the monopoly costs a lot
more. I would gladly pay Tony Soprano's company to come pick up my
garbage. Hey, it's a good reputable Joisey bidness! :)

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a
> partial holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy.
> I was feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to
> chase the truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes
> back down the other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually
> lazy and almost blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next
> week.
>
> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction
> on the spds.
>
> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
>
> Penny

fun stuff...reminds me of having about six huge bags of grass clippings of
which I couldn't fit all of them into the garbage can. I waited for the
garbage truck to empty the can and I reloaded it as he continued to the end
of our dead end street. I pulled the can to the other side of the street to
be emptied again......the driver stops the truck, gets out and comes over to
me and tells me (in some eastern european accent) that he has to charge me
$15 to pick the can up again or he'll get in trouble (Waste Management). I
blew a gasket and told him to just pass up the can then I told him I was
calling their head office (he had his name on his shirt...) and filing a
complaint....should have seen the guy back-pedal (biking reference to stay
on topic :) ) and he ended up picking up the can.......

Guess he needed lunch money.

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:
> fun stuff...reminds me of having about six huge bags of grass clippings
> of which I couldn't fit all of them into the garbage can. I waited for
> the garbage truck to empty the can and I reloaded it as he continued to
> the end of our dead end street. I pulled the can to the other side of
> the street to be emptied again......the driver stops the truck, gets out
> and comes over to me and tells me (in some eastern european accent) that
> he has to charge me $15 to pick the can up again or he'll get in trouble
> (Waste Management). I blew a gasket and told him to just pass up the
> can then I told him I was calling their head office (he had his name on
> his shirt...) and filing a complaint....should have seen the guy
> back-pedal (biking reference to stay on topic :) ) and he ended up
> picking up the can.......
>
> Guess he needed lunch money.
>
> Gary

OK, I know that there is more to this like...

Then, next week I come home on trash day and find a message spelled out
on my lawn using empty beer cans, chicken bones, hardened spaghetti, and
curdled milk...

"Where's my $15?"

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> /RANT ON/
>
> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
> you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
> anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
> transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
> to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
> until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes. On top
> of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only require a driver
> to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So instead cutting
> back the employees when they moved from a three man truck to one man,
> they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs within the town
> (instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping from the trails I
> ride on).
>
> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three days
> so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my block (no
> way did those cans cost $75).
>
> /RANT OFF/

$10K in property taxes? Does NJ have state income tax? We pay $650 in
property taxes for an average house in Salida. Colorado does have a
screwy law that shifts more burden to commercial property, but still
$10k, ouch!

Shawn

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> small change wrote:>>
>
> /RANT ON/
>

> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three
> days so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my
> block (no way did those cans cost $75).
>
> /RANT OFF/
>
> Thanks for stirring me up, Penny.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

We are family of four and the only time we need an extra can is when we are
doing home improvement projects. If you are generating that much trash, look
at your purchasing habits and your recycling habits.

Penny

Shawn wrote:

> $10K in property taxes? Does NJ have state income tax? We pay $650 in
> property taxes for an average house in Salida. Colorado does have a
> screwy law that shifts more burden to commercial property, but still
> $10k, ouch!
>
> Shawn

LOL!!!! You betcha! 10K property plus 2.5% state income tax. My house
is just a little over average for the area (200K when purchased 8 years
ago - 540K value as of three months ago but the market is sliding - 3000
sq ft on <1/3 acre), but the town next to me has even higher property
taxes. Oh, but they send us a property relief check of $250 in the
fall. I try not to spend it all in one place.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> >>>

> >> /RANT ON/
> >>
> >> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
> >> you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
> >> anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
> >> transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
> >> to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
> >> until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes. On top
> >> of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only require a driver
> >> to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So instead cutting
> >> back the employees when they moved from a three man truck to one man,
> >> they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs within the town
> >> (instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping from the trails I
> >> ride on).
> >>
> >> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three days
> >> so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my block (no
> >> way did those cans cost $75).
> >>
> >> /RANT OFF/
> >>
> >> Thanks for stirring me up, Penny.
> >>

> >> --
> >> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> >> www.schnauzers.ws

> > Do you recycle and/or compost? Its amazing (and satisfying) to see how
> > much it reduces the amount that's carted to the landfills.
> > That's a funny post, Penny. I could just imagine running down Eastern
> > Parkway asking the Brooklyn garbage guys to turn around because I was
> > late bringing my trash out. Ten to one their expressions would be worth
> > photographing. "'Scuse me, I need you to back up...."
> > LOL!
> >
> > /s
> >

> Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
> glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
> (cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?
>
> I am a believer in privatized municipal utilities (water, sewage, and
> garbage) of which my town has none. Thus, the monopoly costs a lot
> more. I would gladly pay Tony Soprano's company to come pick up my
> garbage. Hey, it's a good reputable Joisey bidness! :)
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

You're addicted to Coca Cola? Enough to fill a 15 gallon can with
'deflated' and rolled up plastic bottles? You may have bigger issues
than your trash collection (but not as big as your property tax.)
Maybe you should spend your Coca Cola money on the REAL real thing, and
you'll save yourself from disposal fees. Those little baggies hardly
take up any room at all.
Hey, I'm just sayin'....
/s

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> /RANT ON/
>
> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
> you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
> anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
> transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
> to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
> until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes. On top
> of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only require a driver
> to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So instead cutting
> back the employees when they moved from a three man truck to one man,
> they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs within the town
> (instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping from the trails I
> ride on).
>
> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three days
> so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my block (no
> way did those cans cost $75).
>
> /RANT OFF/

That sounds like Jersey.

Greg

--

Shawn wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>

>> /RANT ON/
>>
>> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can
>> unless you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If
>> you have anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to
>> the transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the
>> month to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed
>> outside until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property
>> taxes. On top of that, they use the automated trash trucks that only
>> require a driver to operate. The guy's day is cleaner than mine. So
>> instead cutting back the employees when they moved from a three man
>> truck to one man, they just reassigned the others to some cushy jobs
>> within the town (instead of using them to clean up the illegal dumping
>> from the trails I ride on).
>>
>> Needless to say, a family of four fills up the one can within three
>> days so I had to fork over $75. As did just about everyone on my
>> block (no way did those cans cost $75).
>>
>> /RANT OFF/

> $10K in property taxes? Does NJ have state income tax? We pay $650 in
> property taxes for an average house in Salida. Colorado does have a
> screwy law that shifts more burden to commercial property, but still
> $10k, ouch!

In California it's 1% of the assessed value of the property. So $5000 a
year for a $500,000 house. New Jersey has close to the highest, if not
THE highest, property taxes in the country. And I believe they have a
state income tax, too, but Mitch will have to confirm that.

Greg

--

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
> glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
> (cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?
>
> I am a believer in privatized municipal utilities (water, sewage, and
> garbage) of which my town has none. Thus, the monopoly costs a lot
> more. I would gladly pay Tony Soprano's company to come pick up my
> garbage. Hey, it's a good reputable Joisey bidness! :)

It depends on the municipality, I guess. The LA DWP and Burbank DWP are
fantastic. As long as I have lived in those two territories I have
never had any problem with my water or power, price-wise or
reliability-wise. The only strike against the LA DWP is that they tie
in the sewer charges with the amount of water you use. So if you have a
large yard that requires a lot of watering you get a large sewer bill.
There are ways to get exemptions to that but from what I hear it's a
pain. Since I've never had a large yard here it didn't affect me.

Greg

--

G.T. wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>

>> Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
>> glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
>> (cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?
>>
>> I am a believer in privatized municipal utilities (water, sewage, and
>> garbage) of which my town has none. Thus, the monopoly costs a lot
>> more. I would gladly pay Tony Soprano's company to come pick up my
>> garbage. Hey, it's a good reputable Joisey bidness! :)
>>

> It depends on the municipality, I guess. The LA DWP and Burbank DWP are
> fantastic. As long as I have lived in those two territories I have
> never had any problem with my water or power, price-wise or
> reliability-wise. The only strike against the LA DWP is that they tie
> in the sewer charges with the amount of water you use. So if you have a
> large yard that requires a lot of watering you get a large sewer bill.
> There are ways to get exemptions to that but from what I hear it's a
> pain. Since I've never had a large yard here it didn't affect me.
>
> Greg

The EMUA here does the same with the sewage and water tie in. In fact
it is so much of a pain to get an exemption, that when I put my pool in
I had water trucked in with a tanker to fill it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws