chased down the garbage man today

G.T. wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>>

>> $10K in property taxes? Does NJ have state income tax? We pay $650 in
>> property taxes for an average house in Salida. Colorado does have a
>> screwy law that shifts more burden to commercial property, but still
>> $10k, ouch!
>>

> In California it's 1% of the assessed value of the property. So $5000 a
> year for a $500,000 house. New Jersey has close to the highest, if not
> THE highest, property taxes in the country. And I believe they have a
> state income tax, too, but Mitch will have to confirm that.

Confirmed. Highest property taxes in the country and get this...

Our newly elected Governor (swarn in today) in his speech announced that
he will keep his promise for property tax reform. Sure, he will.
Just like everyone of the dolts before him who kept raising it to fill
deficits caused by the state's corruption and greed. Don't believe me?
Read up on McGreevy, our former limp wristed (to steal a phrase from
Pete C.) man of honor. And to put it back on MTB topic, none of this
money goes to the DEP for the forestry service. That equates to zero
funding for our trail systems (what few we have). Even the rangers are
being replaced by local police who know nothing about nor care about
preserving our open spaces. It's a sad state of affairs in NJ. It's
hard to advocate to people who have no interest in what you are saying
and are replacing those who do with those who don't.

Now I'm bummed!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>

>> $10K in property taxes? Does NJ have state income tax? We pay $650 in
>> property taxes for an average house in Salida. Colorado does have a
>> screwy law that shifts more burden to commercial property, but still
>> $10k, ouch!
>>
>> Shawn

> LOL!!!! You betcha! 10K property plus 2.5% state income tax. My house
> is just a little over average for the area (200K when purchased 8 years
> ago - 540K value as of three months ago but the market is sliding - 3000
> sq ft on <1/3 acre), but the town next to me has even higher property
> taxes. Oh, but they send us a property relief check of $250 in the
> fall. I try not to spend it all in one place.

As I said, Ouch! Not my fault, I was only born there. :)
My $350,000 house in Brighton, CO had screaming high property taxes $3500!
There's this national movement to cut all kinds of taxes, that's
recently been trying to influence elections inside of Colorado, so they
can point to us as a shining example. They whip the voters into this
anti-tax frenzy and get our low taxes cut even more. Then they wonder
why the schools are sliding and business doesn't want to relocate here
with our bad roads and declining higher ed. The pendulum is swinging
the other way right now. Even our hardcore conservative (whatever that
means these days) Gov campaigned in the last election for arresting the
slide. Not an increase mind you, but stopping a bad situation from
getting worse.
To get even more OT from Penny's funny story. I think the worst of
these anti-tax types are way off the main political spectrum, somewhere
where anarchy meets fascism...proof that the spectrum goes off one side,
curves around the back and connects up with itself.

Shawn

Shawn wrote:

> As I said, Ouch! Not my fault, I was only born there. :)
> My $350,000 house in Brighton, CO had screaming high property taxes $3500!
> There's this national movement to cut all kinds of taxes, that's
> recently been trying to influence elections inside of Colorado, so they
> can point to us as a shining example. They whip the voters into this
> anti-tax frenzy and get our low taxes cut even more. Then they wonder
> why the schools are sliding and business doesn't want to relocate here
> with our bad roads and declining higher ed. The pendulum is swinging
> the other way right now. Even our hardcore conservative (whatever that
> means these days) Gov campaigned in the last election for arresting the
> slide. Not an increase mind you, but stopping a bad situation from
> getting worse.
> To get even more OT from Penny's funny story. I think the worst of
> these anti-tax types are way off the main political spectrum, somewhere
> where anarchy meets fascism...proof that the spectrum goes off one side,
> curves around the back and connects up with itself.
>
> Shawn

OK. The one good point about the high tax I pay is that my town has one
of the best school systems in the country. Our High School actually has
a professional performing arts center. I'm talking Broadway quality
facility. I think something like 78% of our students go on to college
which is way above the national average.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>

>> As I said, Ouch! Not my fault, I was only born there. :)
>> My $350,000 house in Brighton, CO had screaming high property taxes
>> $3500!
>> There's this national movement to cut all kinds of taxes, that's
>> recently been trying to influence elections inside of Colorado, so
>> they can point to us as a shining example. They whip the voters into
>> this anti-tax frenzy and get our low taxes cut even more. Then they
>> wonder why the schools are sliding and business doesn't want to
>> relocate here with our bad roads and declining higher ed. The
>> pendulum is swinging the other way right now. Even our hardcore
>> conservative (whatever that means these days) Gov campaigned in the
>> last election for arresting the slide. Not an increase mind you, but
>> stopping a bad situation from getting worse.
>> To get even more OT from Penny's funny story. I think the worst of
>> these anti-tax types are way off the main political spectrum, somewhere
>> where anarchy meets fascism...proof that the spectrum goes off one
>> side, curves around the back and connects up with itself.
>>
>> Shawn

> OK. The one good point about the high tax I pay is that my town has one
> of the best school systems in the country. Our High School actually has
> a professional performing arts center. I'm talking Broadway quality
> facility. I think something like 78% of our students go on to college
> which is way above the national average.

Too cool! I think a lot of those kids end up at CU. Denver schools
have film making classes for fifth graders, so there's a lot of
variability in state (Denver's one of the few "Blue" counties in the
state BTW). Not here, we have a hard time keeping band and art
teachers. :-(
There has to be some point in between (I think). Colorado sucks, New
Jersey sucks. Good to get the perspective from the other end of things.
Doesn't surprise me that significant amounts get skimmed. That's not
just a New Jersey phenomenon. I'm sure it happens here too, smaller pot
though.

Shawn

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
> >
> > As I said, Ouch! Not my fault, I was only born there. :)
> > My $350,000 house in Brighton, CO had screaming high property taxes $3500!
> > There's this national movement to cut all kinds of taxes, that's
> > recently been trying to influence elections inside of Colorado, so they
> > can point to us as a shining example. They whip the voters into this
> > anti-tax frenzy and get our low taxes cut even more. Then they wonder
> > why the schools are sliding and business doesn't want to relocate here
> > with our bad roads and declining higher ed. The pendulum is swinging
> > the other way right now. Even our hardcore conservative (whatever that
> > means these days) Gov campaigned in the last election for arresting the
> > slide. Not an increase mind you, but stopping a bad situation from
> > getting worse.
> > To get even more OT from Penny's funny story. I think the worst of
> > these anti-tax types are way off the main political spectrum, somewhere
> > where anarchy meets fascism...proof that the spectrum goes off one side,
> > curves around the back and connects up with itself.
> >
> > Shawn

> OK. The one good point about the high tax I pay is that my town has one
> of the best school systems in the country. Our High School actually has
> a professional performing arts center. I'm talking Broadway quality
> facility. I think something like 78% of our students go on to college
> which is way above the national average.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

The downside is that, with all those taxes, you'll never be able to
afford sending them to a decent school.

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>Shawn wrote:
>>
>>>As I said, Ouch! Not my fault, I was only born there. :)
>>>My $350,000 house in Brighton, CO had screaming high property taxes $3500!
>>>There's this national movement to cut all kinds of taxes, that's
>>>recently been trying to influence elections inside of Colorado, so they
>>>can point to us as a shining example. They whip the voters into this
>>>anti-tax frenzy and get our low taxes cut even more. Then they wonder
>>>why the schools are sliding and business doesn't want to relocate here
>>>with our bad roads and declining higher ed. The pendulum is swinging
>>>the other way right now. Even our hardcore conservative (whatever that
>>>means these days) Gov campaigned in the last election for arresting the
>>>slide. Not an increase mind you, but stopping a bad situation from
>>>getting worse.
>>>To get even more OT from Penny's funny story. I think the worst of
>>>these anti-tax types are way off the main political spectrum, somewhere
>>>where anarchy meets fascism...proof that the spectrum goes off one side,
>>>curves around the back and connects up with itself.
>>>
>>>Shawn

>>OK. The one good point about the high tax I pay is that my town has one
>>of the best school systems in the country. Our High School actually has
>>a professional performing arts center. I'm talking Broadway quality
>>facility. I think something like 78% of our students go on to college
>>which is way above the national average.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws

> The downside is that, with all those taxes, you'll never be able to
> afford sending them to a decent school.

Taxes pay for good schools. CU used to be an excellent academic school
(still pretty good, and always a great party school :) and in state
tuition *used* to be cheap. Funding decreased, quality slid as tuition
went up. Not hard to figure out.

Shawn

small change wrote:
> You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
> holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
> feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
> truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
> other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
> blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
>
> Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
> Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
> ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
> didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> the spds.
>
> Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)

Take your trash-talkin' somewhere else, missy.

JD

I'm getting a visual of fuzzy ones, maybe with a cleat mount on the bottom?
I want pictures....

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Much easier and faster than running down there, and I didn't even have to
take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
> the spds.

Wow. $10K. That's a lot when you think about it in a chunk.

If it makes you feel any better, here in OR, I pay about 9% state income tax
even tho I work in WA where there is *no* state tax. A perk for commuting
across an Interstate bridge in rush-hours.

In our county in OR, the school system is broke, so we've been paying a 1.5%
income tax "surcharge" to the school system for the past three years. My
wife is self employed, so she has the dubious honor of paying said surcharge
twice, once for her biz earnings and once for her salary.

We also pay about 1/3 the rate of your property taxes, and our house is
worth less than half of your estimate. Oh yeah, and we also only get one
trash can per week, but it's a private service here and you pay for the
first can as well!

Thanks, Ride-a-Lot. Now I'm bummed too....

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Our trash is picked up only once a week. You get ONE garbage can unless
> you want to fork over $75 to the township for a second one. If you have
> anything that is too big for the can, you have to bring it to the
> transfer station yourself or wait until the first Wednesday of the month
> to put it out, so it rots inside your garage (it is not allowed outside
> until pickup). All this for $10,000 a year in property taxes.

"GWood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm getting a visual of fuzzy ones, maybe with a cleat mount on the
> bottom?
> I want pictures....
>
> "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> Much easier and faster than running down there, and I didn't even have to
> take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
>> the spds.

yes yes, this post is useless without pics...

<Ride-A-Lot
Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
(cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?>

There isn't a bottle deposit in NJ???
If you filled a large can with 2 liter bottles here there would be a rather large group of people waiting for you to put it out each week

J(san)

Jimbo(san) wrote:
> <Ride-A-Lot
> Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
> glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
> (cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?>
>
> There isn't a bottle deposit in NJ???
> If you filled a large can with 2 liter bottles here there would be a
> rather large group of people waiting for you to put it out each week
>
> J(san)

Nope. Our cans and bottles are free. Come on over, you can have all
you want.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:33:03 -0800, "small change"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You know how it is, it's one of those Monday holidays that's only a partial
>holiday...So we didn't put the trash out and missed the trash guy. I was
>feeling really lazy. I've been known to run the extra blocks to chase the
>truck down, to ask him to stop back by the house when he comes back down the
>other side of the street. We ( hubby and I) were mutually lazy and almost
>blew it off, decided to let it all pile up until next week.
>
>Then a doh! moment! I grabbed the nearest bike ( the ti HT) and Mr.
>Adventure's shop coat and pedalled three blocks down to the trash truck to
>ask for a pickup. Much easier and faster than running down there, and I
>didn't even have to take my slippers off. They gave me plenty of traction on
>the spds.
>
>Hey, at least it's biking content. ;-)
>
>Penny

nice,
bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton

Jimbo (san) wrote:
> <Ride-A-Lot
> Yup. I have a "special" town provided blue can (15 Gal) for plastic,
> glass, and aluminum. How long do you think it takes me (given my Coke
> (cola) habit to fill that baby with two liter bottles?>
>
> There isn't a bottle deposit in NJ???
> If you filled a large can with 2 liter bottles here there would be a
> rather large group of people waiting for you to put it out each week
>
> J(san)
>

> --
> Jimbo(san)

I see people pushing carts ballooning with cans/bottles over the
Brooklyn Bridge all the time. Like you get a better exchange rate in
Brooklyn.
Seriously, the heaps get to 10 feet high and almost as wide.
Gotta respect it, though -- that's a hard way to earn a buck.
/s