Chattanooga to Key West Tour

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm thinking about planning a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. I've heard some negative
    things about going to Key West, and not much else. Does anyone have any experience with any parts of
    this trip? Your experience and info would be much appreciated.

    I'm not planning to start this trip until next year sometime, probably leaving in October or
    November sometime. I figure the worst of the heat will be over by then, and it's the end of
    hurricane season.

    Thanks in advance.

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. I camped in the Keys on and off for 20 years and lived there full time for
    12. I biked frequently on bike paths and on Key West city streets but NEVER on US1.

    13. October is a gorgeous month. November is also delightful.
    14. For me, US 1 is a terrifying road to ride except for those relatively few stretches where bike
    paths exist.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm thinking about planning a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. I've heard some negative
    > things about going to Key West, and not much
    else.
    > Does anyone have any experience with any parts of this trip? Your
    experience
    > and info would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I'm not planning to start this trip until next year sometime, probably leaving in October or
    > November sometime. I figure the worst of the heat
    will
    > be over by then, and it's the end of hurricane season.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob

  3. --------------31E7E9E5CC4BD1E1F69CECA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    Go to your library and get a copy of Miles From Nowhere by Barbara Savage. She and her husband rode
    around the world and US1 to Key West sounded horrible.

    Rick Nighbert

    Rob Rudeski wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm thinking about planning a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. I've heard some negative
    > things about going to Key West, and not much else. Does anyone have any experience with any parts
    > of this trip? Your experience and info would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I'm not planning to start this trip until next year sometime, probably leaving in October or
    > November sometime. I figure the worst of the heat will be over by then, and it's the end of
    > hurricane season.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob

    --------------31E7E9E5CC4BD1E1F69CECA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> Go to your library and get a
    copy of <i>Miles From Nowhere</i> by Barbara Savage. She and her husband rode around the world
    and US1 to Key West sounded horrible.
    <q>Rob Rudeski wrote: <blockquote TYPE=CITE>Hi All,
    <r>I'm thinking about planning a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. <br>I've heard some
    negative things about going to Key West, and not much else. <br>Does anyone have any experience
    with any parts of this trip? Your experience <br>and info would be much appreciated.
    <s>I'm not planning to start this trip until next year sometime, probably <br>leaving in October or
    November sometime. I figure the worst of the heat will <br>be over by then, and it's the end of
    hurricane season.
    <t>Thanks in advance.

    --------------31E7E9E5CC4BD1E1F69CECA0--

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm thinking about planning a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. I've heard some negative
    > things about going to Key West, and not much else. Does anyone have any experience with any parts
    > of this trip? Your experience and info would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I'm not planning to start this trip until next year sometime, probably leaving in October or
    > November sometime. I figure the worst of the heat will be over by then, and it's the end of
    > hurricane season.

    You might join the touring mailing list and ask this question of lots of bike tour enthusiasts

    http://search.bikelist.org

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    To get to the Keys, you'd have to get around Miami. I've heard of seasoned bike tourists who had
    themselves driven through that bit. It is no small challenge.

    As for the Keys, the Keys are about the water. If you fish or dive, or something, I am sure it is
    good fun, but other than a few spots like Bahia Honda, it looks to me like it is mostly gas
    stations, bait shops, etc.

    Key West itself is a disappointment. The historic downtown is all tee shirt shops and bars. For
    being surrounded by water, it is not really a beach town. The water is at either end of the main
    street, not really near most of it, and the main beach is further away still. Much of the land near
    the water is still millitary. On top of all that, I had an unpleasant experience at the famous Duval
    House inn. Normally it is warm down there, but be aware that if it does turn cold, the historic
    places don't have heat.

    You look at a map, and you see the Keys down there, and it is tempting because it is so _at the end_
    of everything. I say avoid the temptation.

    John Riley

  6. I toured about three years ago from Macon, Ga to Key West. For we three it was an eight day trip. We
    camped all but one night, a party night in South Beach. Mostly all of the trip was pleasant and
    enjyable with the frelative exception of about 15 milees give or take south of Homestead that had a
    section af highway where there were anti falling asleep bumps in the bike lane in case drivers went
    off the road. All in all it was fun and very doable. For more details cantact directly if desired.
    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm thinking about planning a trip from Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. I've heard some negative
    > things about going to Key West, and not much
    else.
    > Does anyone have any experience with any parts of this trip? Your
    experience
    > and info would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I'm not planning to start this trip until next year sometime, probably leaving in October or
    > November sometime. I figure the worst of the heat
    will
    > be over by then, and it's the end of hurricane season.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob

  7. Scottjl

    Scottjl Guest

    A few years back, a friend and I rode the stretch from Fort Lauderdale to Chattanooga as part of a
    longer tour. It was a wonderful trip...no difficulties beyond the minor traffic variety. We followed
    A1A from Laud. to St. Augustine...cut NW past the Okefenokee NWR...skirted the north side of
    Atlanta...then headed to Chattanooga on the way to St. Louis.

    If I were heading south, I'd stop where A1A stops in Lauderdale...north of Port Everglades. I would
    avoid Miami, and the Keys for that matter. Even in the Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area, the
    coast road would be my only route. Heading west, without local knowledge, could be touchy.

  8. Ditto about Key West. Its a nice place to ride around in, but a death defying place to ride to.

    There is great cycling down the east central coast of Florida, from about Melbourne on up towards
    Jacksonville. Space Coast Freewheelers is a good source.

    While fall is nice up north, my opinion of the best time to cycle down here starts with January in
    Miami and ends with March in Jacksonville.

    If I were to do it, I would take two trips, Chattanooga southbound in the fall, and Florida
    Northbound in February. Greyhound or Amtrak can take your bike pretty easy.