Cheap bag

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Might not be of interest to you "over there" but here goes. I managed to find a 3-4 litre waterproof
    bag in durable nylon for 3 usd. Thats 3-4 waterbottles or my 3-litres Source waterbladder.

    Plan is to hang one on each side of my seat like saddlebags. With some luck my tailfairing will have
    room for them. They would also make excellent topbags on a rack or something similar if you added a
    bit of coroplast or whatnot in their bottom.

    Took a few pics. http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels ("Recumbents"-folder.)

    Seems like very nice quality at that price. Intended use was for toiletarticles when travelling so
    its rubberlined inside and hence waterproof. (Might get some run-in at the top of the zippers.)

    Comes in screaming red, yellow, blue and I think bronze. Says "Splash. it" on them. Bought in
    Amagercenteret in a small shop that sells stuff for 10 DKK apiece. These were 20 DKK tho.

    M.

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Might not be of interest to you "over there" but here goes. I managed to find a 3-4 litre
    > waterproof bag in durable nylon for 3 usd. Thats 3-4 waterbottles or my 3-litres Source
    > waterbladder.
    >
    > Plan is to hang one on each side of my seat like saddlebags. With some luck my tailfairing will
    > have room for them. They would also make excellent topbags on a rack or something similar if you
    > added a bit of coroplast or whatnot in their bottom.
    >
    > Took a few pics. http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels ("Recumbents"-folder.)

    Do you have pics of the mounted bags to share?

    I have replaced waterbottles with hydration bladders. Most recently these from Platypus.
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=6685378

    I have been looking for a good place to mount them. At your suggestion, I think I may hang them from
    the sides of my seat.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. "Cletus Lee" skrev

    > Do you have pics of the mounted bags to share?

    Not atm. Gonna play around with a stapler and see if the idea works.

    The idea being one strap over the seat at the front end of the bags. Another doublestrap at the end
    that goes over the seat (one front one back) so they create a pocketlike strap that prevents the
    bags from sliding down. Two adjustable straps under the frame and behind the seat respectively keeps
    them snug and steady. Wait a few hours and I will have a pic of the mock-up unless it turns out to
    be totally impractical. This is for a euroseat.

    M.

  4. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Might not be of interest to you "over there" but here goes.

    <snip>

    Joke (Twisted from the original)

    "over there"

    A Bent Rider is out riding one day and he comes to a stream. He looks up and down the stream trying
    to find a way to cross and then notices a wedgie rider who's already on the other side.

    The Bent Rider waves and hollers, "Hey! How do I get to the other side???"

    The Wedgie Rider looks up and down the stream and then looks back at the Bent Rider and hollers,
    "You are on the other side!!!!"

    Bill Meacham

  5. "Cletus Lee" skrev

    > > Took a few pics. http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels ("Recumbents"-folder.)
    >
    > Do you have pics of the mounted bags to share?

    Pics in the same folder now. Forgot to take some a bit further away and the staples quit when I
    tested with weight to see what the bag did so for now its just closeups. Will stitch em and take
    them to a pro with a sewing machine.

    Mikael

  6. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    It is blasphemous in to in any way alter a "blonde joke"

    "William Meacham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Might not be of interest to you "over there" but here goes.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Joke (Twisted from the original)
    >
    > "over there"
    >
    > A Bent Rider is out riding one day and he comes to a stream. He looks up and down the stream
    > trying to find a way to cross and then notices a wedgie rider who's already on the other side.
    >
    > The Bent Rider waves and hollers, "Hey! How do I get to the other side???"
    >
    > The Wedgie Rider looks up and down the stream and then looks back at the Bent Rider and hollers,
    > "You are on the other side!!!!"
    >

    > Bill Meacham

  7. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > "Cletus Lee" skrev
    >
    > > > Took a few pics. http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels ("Recumbents"-folder.)
    > >
    > > Do you have pics of the mounted bags to share?
    >
    > Pics in the same folder now. Forgot to take some a bit further away and the staples quit when I
    > tested with weight to see what the bag did so for now its just closeups. Will stitch em and take
    > them to a pro with a sewing machine.

    Kewl! You've given me some ideas for my Hydration bladder.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  8. Mikael Seierup <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Might not be of interest to you "over there" but here goes. I managed to find a 3-4 litre
    : waterproof bag in durable nylon for 3 usd. Thats 3-4 waterbottles or my 3-litres Source
    : waterbladder.

    Could be nice for my leaking Platypus ;p Do they come in aero versions? Wonder if they are
    sold here...

    Bent bags can be expensive... I've been thinking I could make some of my own, been using the sewing
    machine time to time. Just find some nylon fabric, some waterproof liner and then put velcro and
    other straps in the right places... or then make my own tailbox/full fairing with integrated cargo
    bay and housing for electronics systems.

    Who said bents are geeky? ;p

  9. <[email protected]> skrev

    > Could be nice for my leaking Platypus ;p Do they come in aero versions? Wonder if they are
    > sold here...

    They sit behind my back/arms so they dont have to be aero. Slightly cylindrical so maybe they make
    you little bit faster... or not.

    > Bent bags can be expensive... I've been thinking I could make some of my own, been using the
    > sewing machine time to time. Just find some nylon fabric, some waterproof liner and then put
    > velcro and other straps in the right places... or then make my own tailbox/full fairing with
    > integrated cargo bay and housing for electronics systems.

    Sebastian from Poland actually made some pannier bags. Apart from a broken strap they worked well.
    Pics in "Poland Revisited"-folder here: http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (first pic, yellow bag
    behind Sebastian) Mine show promise too. They are at a sewing shop now as I don't have a machine.
    Total cost 190 DKK and sewing was 100 of that.

    > Who said bents are geeky? ;p

    Well, since my first tailbox was made of plasticcovered cardboard it wasn't me. ;o)

    M.