Cheap bags Mk II

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Us cheapskates shy away from $400 sets of bent designer bags, instead we go with too many cheap bags
    from LDS or what have you.

    Been looking at GlobeTrotter products again, how about these.

    5.5 liter bag for just under 6 euros. Nylon is somewhat waterproof, right? Notice loops for
    easier mounting.

    http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?&mod_nr=ms34531&artbez=Tatonka+Rei%DFverschlu%DFbeute-
    l&k_id=0413&h_kat=Rucks%E4cke%2C+Taschen%2C+Beutel&u_kat=Taschen%2C+S%E4cke%2C+Kisten

    - ms34531

    Maybe one could use tube-shaped bags as a racktop or side bag, just support it with straps or
    something. Need to find something remotely durable and watertight, maybe this?

    http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?&mod_nr=ol34202&artbez=Four+Seasons+Kleidersack+350&k-
    _id=0413&h_kat=Rucks%E4cke%2C+Taschen%2C+Beutel&u_kat=Taschen%2C+S%E4cke%2C+Kisten

    - ol34202

  2. [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Us cheapskates shy away from $400 sets of bent designer bags, instead we go with too many cheap
    > bags from LDS or what have you.
    >
    > Been looking at GlobeTrotter products again, how about these.
    >
    > 5.5 liter bag for just under 6 euros. Nylon is somewhat waterproof, right? Notice loops for easier
    > mounting.
    >
    > http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?&mod_nr=ms34531&artbez=Tatonka+Rei%DFverschlu%DFbeu-
    > tel&k_id=0413&h_kat=Rucks%E4cke%2C+Taschen%2C+Beutel&u_kat=Taschen%2C+S%E4cke%2C+Kisten
    >
    > - ms34531
    >
    > Maybe one could use tube-shaped bags as a racktop or side bag, just support it with straps or
    > something. Need to find something remotely durable and watertight, maybe this?
    >
    > http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?&mod_nr=ol34202&artbez=Four+Seasons+Kleidersack+350-
    > &k_id=0413&h_kat=Rucks%E4cke%2C+Taschen%2C+Beutel&u_kat=Taschen%2C+S%E4cke%2C+Kisten
    >
    > - ol34202

    I use a homemade bag setup on my Longbikes Duplex. It is strapped to the rack behind the seat. I
    used pedal straps from an old pair of pedals to attach the bag to the bike. I cut slits in the
    bottom of the bag, slide the straps through and then sewed the slits shut (Not a very good sewing
    job, though). It works great.

    The bag came from a software training course I attended. Company paid for the course, so the bag was
    free. Straps were free. Total cost was... free.

    Best part is that the bag is black and has the words "Wonderware" monogramed on the side. Not only
    does the bike get looks the bag gets looks to.

    Bill Meacham Mesa, AZ

  3. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Us cheapskates shy away from $400 sets of bent designer bags, instead we go with too many cheap
    > bags from LDS or what have you.

    Check military surplus dealers. You often can get bags for real cheap that are completely waterproof
    and even have hooks in convenient places for attaching to the bike. Right now I am using Danish
    military bags that were 4 for $10.

    The "bread bags" at the following URL look mysteriously like they were made to be bike bags with 2
    leather loops at the top and one at the bottom. Maybe someone mistranslated the description when the
    distributor bought them. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=67364

  4. Don

    Don Guest

    I used a very nice but inexpensive Nashbar handlebar bag on my Haluzak. I hot-punched four holes in
    the bag and stiffiner and then mounted it to the horizontal bar at the middle of the Zak seat. I
    used two Minoura water bottle holders to attach the bag. The holders rotate 90 degrees so they can
    be mounted to both horizontal and vertical tubes of the proper diameter. The Minoura water bottle
    holders are just adapter brackets that any cage of your choice will fasten to.

    In another application (somewhat specific to the larger tubing used on Haluzak seat) I used the
    Minoura brackets to mount a water bottle on each vertical seat tube. The bottles are behind the
    seat. Aero and out of the way but I have learned to reach them quite easily. I use the cheapo
    Performance Quick Draw cages. The secret to success is using a cage with no top "thingy" like
    standard cages and no rubber band to squeeze the bottle too hard. To put the bottle back in the
    cage, I grip it near the bottom so I can feel the cage when I reach behind the seat. I hit the cage
    at an angle but the Quick Draw funnels the bottle right in and holds the bottle well since the
    bottle is held upright.

    Does anyone know where to get the Minoura's cheaper than the $9.99 at Hostel Shoppe? I saw them for
    $6 one online store but they sold out and never reordered.