Cheap beginner

unifyzero

Oct 7, 2010
I'm looking for a bike to get me to and from work and for use with a trainer. I may be going up and down curbs a little and some of the roads are pretty rough (paved but not well maintained). I live in the San Diego area and I'm having trouble finding something that meets my criteria. I'd like something for $200 or less that isn't complete garbage. So far it seems the closest thing I've come across is the Schwinn Sporterra Sport for ~$350. Is this a good deal or is there something more practical you would recommend?

Nice site - have you bought anything from them before?

Found a few MTB I wouldn't mind picking up

I'm looking for a bike to get me to and from work and for use with a trainer. I may be going up and down curbs a little and some of the roads are pretty rough (paved but not well maintained). I live in the San Diego area and I'm having trouble finding something that meets my criteria. I'd like something for $200 or less that isn't complete garbage. So far it seems the closest thing I've come across is the Schwinn Sporterra Sport for ~$350. Is this a good deal or is there something more practical you would recommend?My girlfriend and myself are looking to purchase some lower end/entry level bikes for casual road riding. Our want for bikes started after visiting my grandfathers house and riding his old beat up bikes for 2 miles on a paved bike & hike trail. Everyone else was whizzing past us while we were straining to keep going! We knew then that if we wanted to have fun cycling that we would need better equipment.

Originally Posted by Aussie_Al .

Nice site - have you bought anything from them before?

Found a few MTB I wouldn't mind picking up

No, I do however ran into other forum members here on this forum as well as other forums who have and not one ever reported a problem that I can remember, in fact all were very happy with their bikes.

I am seriously considering purchasing the Motobecane LeChamp Team TI[SIZE= 12px] with full Dura Ace.[/SIZE]
After looking at the TI bikes from Habanero and Lynskey and figuring I would have to pay at least $1,000 more and end up with 105 components or Rival, I decided to give the Motobecane a serious look. I looked at pics fairly close and the welds don't look any worse then the other two brands I listed, so why not? I don't why not yet, so it looks like that's the direction I'll be going.

The Mongoose Kaldi Commuter Double might be a possiblity. Nashbar is selling them for $299, but has a 20% promotional discount through the end of October 2010. BTW, ever consider a cyclocross bike?

Originally Posted by Froze .

No, I do however ran into other forum members here on this forum as well as other forums who have and not one ever reported a problem that I can remember, in fact all were very happy with their bikes.

I am seriously considering purchasing the Motobecane LeChamp Team TI[SIZE= 12px] with full Dura Ace.[/SIZE]
After looking at the TI bikes from Habanero and Lynskey and figuring I would have to pay at least $1,000 more and end up with 105 components or Rival, I decided to give the Motobecane a serious look. I looked at pics fairly close and the welds don't look any worse then the other two brands I listed, so why not? I don't why not yet, so it looks like that's the direction I'll be going.
Thanks - for the advice, appreciated