Cheap 'Bents

TrailRat

Guest
What is the cheapest 3 wheeled 'bent around?
Can you just purchase frames?
Can you fit upright components on 'bents?

The reason I throw these questions at you is because of my desire to
get on but lack funds. The expression I heard was "a cheap tawianese
knockoff". Do these exist? I don't mind what the components are like
because I can get better ones from work, either new or stripped from
the scrap bikes. The important thing is a good frame.

TR

TrailRat wrote:
> What is the cheapest 3 wheeled 'bent around?
> Can you just purchase frames?
> Can you fit upright components on 'bents?
>
> The reason I throw these questions at you is because of my desire to
> get on but lack funds. The expression I heard was "a cheap tawianese
> knockoff". Do these exist? I don't mind what the components are like
> because I can get better ones from work, either new or stripped from
> the scrap bikes. The important thing is a good frame.

The cheap Taiwanese knockoffs are made by TW-Bents, and sold in the
States under the name ActionBent. You can find some on eBay from the US
dealer if you want a price point, and I believe that one of our regulars
acquired some recently if you want a review. Not sure about UK importers
though.

Have you considered learning to weld? ;-)

Jon

Oh, I know how to weld. I just wouldn't trust my welding for that sort
reliability in strength.

Why do you know some good plans for building a trike.

TR

TrailRat wrote:
> Oh, I know how to weld. I just wouldn't trust my welding for that sort
> reliability in strength.

How about using expoxy and wood?

> Why do you know some good plans for building a trike.

Google for homebuilt (or homebuild) recumbent. From those links you
should find plenty of information.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> TrailRat wrote:
>> Oh, I know how to weld. I just wouldn't trust my welding for that sort
>> reliability in strength.

> How about using expoxy and wood?
>
>> Why do you know some good plans for building a trike.

> Google for homebuilt (or homebuild) recumbent. From those links you
> should find plenty of information.
>
> Jon

This appears quite an easy and cheap self build in metal:
http://www.dutchbikes.nl/

and this is one in wood (plans are $25 on the interwebby):
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~talizmar/xntrick/2x4.htm

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

TrailRat wrote:
> What is the cheapest 3 wheeled 'bent around?

Don't know. Cheapest easily available could well be one of the Steins
which comes from Westcouuntry Recumbents in the UK. Still upwind of a
grand though.

> Can you just purchase frames?

That'll depend on the seller. HP Velotechnik do framekits for their
bikes, and they've just released a trike, but it is /not/ ever going to
get into the "cheapest" category, even doing it like that.

> Can you fit upright components on 'bents?

Yes, and saddles excepted that's what pretty much everyone does. Mine
runs Deore gearing, Magura rim brakes (upgraded from Tektro Vs), Mavic
rims, Scmidt dynamo, etc.

> The reason I throw these questions at you is because of my desire to
> get on but lack funds. The expression I heard was "a cheap tawianese
> knockoff". Do these exist?

FSVO "cheap" and bikes rather than trikes IIRC. Because 'bents are a
niche market you can't get economies of scale like Giant et al will get
for hybrid/MTB diamond frames.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Probably the KMX - <URL:http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/>

> Can you just purchase frames?

Usually.

> Can you fit upright components on 'bents?

Mostly. Things such as seats, handlebars, steering components are
usually proprietary, though.

This Unit is a productive Unit.

Jon Senior wrote:
> TrailRat wrote:
> > Oh, I know how to weld. I just wouldn't trust my welding for that sort
> > reliability in strength.

> How about using expoxy and wood?

Now that I could try. After all I am a skilled and fully trained
carpenter. Would be interesting to try. Would be even more fun to ride.
Easier to fix in a crash too.

Hehehe

TR

Yes, I acquired 3 Actionbents from Ebay recently. We kept two for
myself and my husband, and sold one - which made our purchase extremely
cheap. We bought them from the UK (somebody who was going to set up as
an importer but changed his mind)so we didn't have to pay tax/duty or
anything like that.
I am not under any illusion that these are high quality recumbents, but
I have wanted one for some time, and there was/is no possibility of
getting the money together for a high end one for several more years.
I am extremely pleased with the bike, while recognizing it as a
'cheapie'. It is great fun to ride. A few small problems: The plastic
covering on the seat gets damaged quite easily (but as the bike was
cheap I am not fussed about a few duct tape repairs). The paint
scratches easily (Humbrol enamel does an adequate touch up job). The
rear suspension is proving a little difficult to set correctly - it is
fine when the bike is unloaded, but when carrying goods it goes down too
far. I am still working on this, but it probably wouldn't be a problem
for someone without my considerable bulk! The supplied rear rack is
total rubbish. I am looking into a suitable replacement. (suggestions
anybody?)
One day I anticipate replacing the bike with something like a
Streetmachine or Grasshopper, but in the meantime I am having fun with
the 'cheapie' and it rides fine. I have not regretted buying it for one
minute.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> There's also a book that I would strongly recommend, Atomic Zombie's
> Bicycle Builder's Bonanza:
> <URL:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071422676/ref=ase_thewebenginee-21/026-6618405-5845256>
>
> It's definitely your cheapest way into building several different designs
> of 'bent.

Along with a few pints to the local dump manager and finding where they
throw away broken wheelchairs.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Along with a few pints to the local dump manager and finding where they
> throw away broken wheelchairs.

Maybe short-circuit that and cut straight to the main suppliers, your
friendly neighbourhood orthopaedic unit. TORT if you're in Dundee.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>
> > Along with a few pints to the local dump manager and finding where they
> > throw away broken wheelchairs.

> Maybe short-circuit that and cut straight to the main suppliers, your
> friendly neighbourhood orthopaedic unit. TORT if you're in Dundee.

Got any contacts there? I could do with a pair of wheelchair hubs for
the recumbent trike project..

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Got any contacts there? I could do with a pair of wheelchair hubs for
> the recumbent trike project..

Not direct ones, but since they're sort of part of UoD just call up and
ask for the workshop and see if anything's going...

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> TrailRat wrote:
> > What is the cheapest 3 wheeled 'bent around?

> Don't know. Cheapest easily available could well be one of the Steins
> which comes from Westcouuntry Recumbents in the UK. Still upwind of a
> grand though.

In fairness, I should point out that the waiting times can be a bit long
for those.

Cheapest is probably the KMX X class, which retails at about £600 IIRC.
I know at least one person who's used one as his main on-road cycle and
did pretty well with it, although he had to make some modifications,
like adding his own rack.

There are a couple of US ones, which retail at $799 (TriCruiser and EZ-3
IIRC), but by the time you've paid off UK Customs and Extortion, you're
probably looking at pounds for dollars, near enough. And they're both
deltas.

> > Can you just purchase frames?

> That'll depend on the seller. HP Velotechnik do framekits for their
> bikes, and they've just released a trike, but it is /not/ ever going to
> get into the "cheapest" category, even doing it like that.

Greenspeed do framekits too, but as Peter says, by the time you've
bought the rest of the bits that's not going to get into the cheapest
category.

> > The reason I throw these questions at you is because of my desire to
> > get on but lack funds. The expression I heard was "a cheap tawianese
> > knockoff". Do these exist?

> FSVO "cheap" and bikes rather than trikes IIRC. Because 'bents are a
> niche market you can't get economies of scale like Giant et al will get
> for hybrid/MTB diamond frames.

Indeed. And as I've been known to remark, 'bent trikes are not so much a
niche as a crevice....
--
Carol
Westcountry Recumbents