Cheap bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gadget

I have come across some bikes cheap (£80) and by the looks of the components I wouldn't by them. But
the frames seem sound enough and £80 is cheap for a frame. The manufacture is Harlem and the bikes
are the rear suspension MTB's. My question is it worth it to buy the bike, ditch the parts and put
my own components on the frame?

Gadget

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have come across some bikes cheap (£80) and by the looks of the
components
> I wouldn't by them. But the frames seem sound enough and £80 is cheap for
a
> frame. The manufacture is Harlem and the bikes are the rear suspension MTB's. My question is it
> worth it to buy the bike, ditch the parts and put my own components on the frame?
>
Have you seen how much the frames weigh?

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have come across some bikes cheap (£80) and by the looks of the
components
> I wouldn't by them. But the frames seem sound enough and £80 is cheap for
a
> frame. The manufacture is Harlem and the bikes are the rear suspension MTB's. My question is it
> worth it to buy the bike, ditch the parts and put my own components on the frame?

See the tread about building up a bike from scratch.

Generally the mark-up on the components is such that you would be better buying a bike with the
components you want on it.

T

Gadget wrote:

> I have come across some bikes cheap (£80) and by the looks of the components I wouldn't by them.
> But the frames seem sound enough and £80 is cheap for a frame. The manufacture is Harlem and the
> bikes are the rear suspension MTB's. My question is it worth it to buy the bike, ditch the parts
> and put my own components on the frame?
>
> Gadget
>
>
No.

Gadget posted ...

> I have come across some bikes cheap (£80) and by the looks of the components I wouldn't by them.
> But the frames seem sound enough and £80 is cheap for a frame. The manufacture is Harlem and the
> bikes are the rear suspension MTB's. My question is it worth it to buy the bike, ditch the parts
>
> Gadget

Check out bid-up.tv .. the bikes are ****. There is a chance that someone actually bought it for £1
.. if you really want one or two, try a bid maybe, but I'd suggest you'd be better seved by buying a
bike locally .. ;)

https://www.bid-up.tv/bid_catagorylisting.aspx?Catagory=4&From=1

PS, check the postage details, they can be a little extreme .. ;)

--
Digweed .... ;)

"Gadget" <[email protected]> writes:

Pick it up and feel the weight.

Generally these ultra-cheap bikes have very heavy frames. There may be exceptions.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Gadget" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I have come across some bikes cheap (£80) and by the looks of the
components
> > I wouldn't by them. But the frames seem sound enough and £80 is cheap
for a
> > frame. The manufacture is Harlem and the bikes are the rear suspension MTB's. My question is it
> > worth it to buy the bike, ditch the parts and
put
> > my own components on the frame?
>
> Pick it up and feel the weight.
>
> Generally these ultra-cheap bikes have very heavy frames. There may be exceptions.

Not only that the bearings in the pivot will be truly awful and the rear shock will be a piece of
junk that's probably better off replaced with a block of wood.

Avoid at all costs.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.