cheap brake adjustment

Jim Flom

Guest
My '98 RSX rear brake does not open sufficiently upon releasing the brake levers. This is only after
I just removed and re-greased it a couple of days ago. Is there supposed to be a washer between the
nut and the frame, or between the brake calipers and the frame? If I get it "tight enough" it's too
tight and they don't open all the way; if I loosen it some then the brakes rotate when I squeeze the
brake lever.

Thanks.

Jim

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My '98 RSX rear brake does not open sufficiently upon releasing the brake levers. This is only
> after I just removed and re-greased it a couple of days ago. Is there supposed to be a washer
> between the nut and the frame, or between the brake calipers and the frame? If I get it "tight
> enough" it's too tight and they don't open all the way; if I loosen it some then
the
> brakes rotate when I squeeze the brake lever.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim

Jim,

Check out the service instructions that Shimano has posted on their website. An example of the one
for 105 (I couldn't find RSX) is URL:
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/BR/si_images/BR_5500_SI.pdf If that doesn't help, just look
at the 105 example of the exploded view of a brake caliper at URL:
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/BR/ev_images/BR_5500_EV.pdf It sounds like "cockpit error".

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

Nice website. Thanks for that. As it turns out, the problem was nothing a thorough cleaning
couldn't fix.

Jim

news:[email protected]...