cheap brake adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Flom, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    My '98 RSX rear brake does not open sufficiently upon releasing the brake levers. This is only after
    I just removed and re-greased it a couple of days ago. Is there supposed to be a washer between the
    nut and the frame, or between the brake calipers and the frame? If I get it "tight enough" it's too
    tight and they don't open all the way; if I loosen it some then the brakes rotate when I squeeze the
    brake lever.

    Thanks.

    Jim

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My '98 RSX rear brake does not open sufficiently upon releasing the brake levers. This is only
    > after I just removed and re-greased it a couple of days ago. Is there supposed to be a washer
    > between the nut and the frame, or between the brake calipers and the frame? If I get it "tight
    > enough" it's too tight and they don't open all the way; if I loosen it some then
    the
    > brakes rotate when I squeeze the brake lever.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jim

    Jim,

    Check out the service instructions that Shimano has posted on their website. An example of the one
    for 105 (I couldn't find RSX) is URL:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/BR/si_images/BR_5500_SI.pdf If that doesn't help, just look
    at the 105 example of the exploded view of a brake caliper at URL:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/BR/ev_images/BR_5500_EV.pdf It sounds like "cockpit error".

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    Nice website. Thanks for that. As it turns out, the problem was nothing a thorough cleaning
    couldn't fix.

    Jim

    news:[email protected]...