Cheap bulk Cinnamon?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kev, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Kev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]...

    > Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?

    I bought a huge bottle of cinnamon sticks on a special
    promotion at my local grocery store, Waldbaums. They were in
    the section that features Spanish/Mexican food. If I needed
    a lot of ground cinnamon, I'd go to Costco or some similar
    place. I don't usually buy spices in bulk, with the
    exception of dried onions, parsley, and sometimes black
    pepper. Spices go bad quickly, so I tend to buy small
    quantities of other things.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 03:37:11 GMT, Kev <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >
    >TIA

    At my local Asian supermarket in Tweed heads South. In 100g
    packs of cinnamon bark, which I break up into small chunks
    to put in my coffee.

    I suspect it would be a bit of a long, damp, drive in an
    amphibious vehicle for you.

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

  4. Mike V

    Mike V Guest

  5. Try the store!

    Just thought that you might want to know. :)

  6. Mack©

    Mack© Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 03:37:11 GMT, Kev <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >
    >TIA

    since it doesn't have any effect on "my" diabetes control I
    don't waste money buying it in bulk.

    Mack©«®» Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-
    diabetes.org http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of
    Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with
    strife and terrorism.

    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    President, or that we are to stand by the President
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    ...Theodore Roosevelt

  7. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...
    > Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >
    > TIA

    If you want to cut your risk of diabetes, for real, just
    cut the refined and high-GI carbs from your diet.
    Especially sugars.

    TC

  8. Kev

    Kev Guest

    > Sam's Club. Tone's ground Cassia about $3.50 for
    > 12oz. MikeV

    I guess you win Mike. That's the best price so far. The best
    online price so far is $11.64 for 1lb at Vitaglo.com.

  9. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 03:37:11 GMT, Kev <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?

    Local organic food store, bulk aisle. Has powdered and
    sticks -- the little sticks that roll up, like inner bark.
    (The kind of 'health food store' that has fresh organic
    veggies etc, not the kind that just sells packaged
    supplements.)

    Speaking of cinnamon sticks, what is that slimey stuff that
    cooks out of them? Protein, carb? Gelatin?

    Skinny -- pre-diab hypo

  10. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Kev on 3/13/04 7:18 AM at [email protected] in
    BC786654.145FD%[email protected] wrote:

    >> Sam's Club. Tone's ground Cassia about $3.50 for
    >> 12oz. MikeV
    >

    > I guess you win Mike. That's the best price so far. The
    > best online price so far is $11.64 for 1lb at Vitaglo.com.

    This was posted in another thread:

    Fuel Sentry on 3/18/04 1:40 AM at [email protected] in
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Ground Korintje cinnamon is available in 1-lb packages
    > from frontiercoop.com in both organic and non-organic
    > varieties for $9.80 and $8.40 per lb, respectively.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yr5ab http://tinyurl.com/3fl69

  11. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...
    > Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >
    > TIA

    spicebarn.com has cinnamon in bulk in various forms.

  12. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Kim on 3/18/04 8:27 PM at [email protected] in
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...
    >> Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >

    > spicebarn.com has cinnamon in bulk in various forms.

    Wow, cool, thanks. They have:

    CINNAMON, Premium Ground Korinjte A  (3 % Oil) 1 Pound Bulk
    Plastic Bag for $4.99

    Or, its $4.49 per pound if you buy bulk 5 pounds.

  13. Once upon a time, our fellow Kev rambled on about "Re: Cheap
    bulk Cinnamon?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in
    sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Or, its $4.49 per pound if you buy bulk 5 pounds.

    Are you planning on feeding an army?

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

  14. Mike V

    Mike V Guest

    "Kev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC7FC220.157E0%[email protected]...
    > Kim on 3/18/04 8:27 PM at [email protected] in
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...
    > >> Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >

    > > spicebarn.com has cinnamon in bulk in various forms.
    >
    > Wow, cool, thanks. They have:
    >
    > CINNAMON, Premium Ground Korinjte A (3 % Oil) 1 Pound Bulk
    > Plastic Bag for $4.99
    >
    > Or, its $4.49 per pound if you buy bulk 5 pounds.

    For penny pinchers and skinflints: Sam's/Tones may still be
    the best deal, especially if you don't care about guaranteed
    oil content, and if shipping is included. Rechecked the
    retail price is $3.18 for 18oz. Apparently Sam's is the only
    retail outlet for Tone's 'food service' size spices.
    www.spiceadvice.com

    Mike V

  15. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On 12 Mar 2004 07:54:54 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:

    >Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...
    >> Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >
    >If you want to cut your risk of diabetes, for real, just
    >cut the refined and high-GI carbs from your diet.
    >Especially sugars.

    Makes no difference unless you are talking about type 2 and
    you don't cut your calories and take more exercise, and thus
    already have the disease.

  16. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:34:37 +0800, "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 12 Mar 2004 07:54:54 -0800, [email protected]
    >(tcomeau) posted:
    >
    >>Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...
    >>> Where do you buy your cheap bulk Cinnamon?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>
    >>If you want to cut your risk of diabetes, for real, just
    >>cut the refined and high-GI carbs from your diet.
    >>Especially sugars.
    >
    >Makes no difference unless you are talking about type 2 and
    >you don't cut your calories and take more exercise, and
    >thus already have the disease.

    The lack of understanding of T2 displayed in those two
    posts led me to check the cross-posts. Being simplistically
    almost right is better than being totally wrong I suppose.
    If either of you actually have T2 and want to learn a
    little more on the subject, cut the sci.med.nutrition
    header and come over to a.s.d. for a little education.
    You'd be welcome.

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.

  17. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:42:51 +1100, Alan <[email protected]>
    posted:

    >On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:34:37 +0800, "Moosh:)"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 12 Mar 2004 07:54:54 -0800, [email protected]
    >>(tcomeau) posted:
    >>
    >>>Kev <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...

    >>>If you want to cut your risk of diabetes, for real, just
    >>>cut the refined and high-GI carbs from your diet.
    >>>Especially sugars.
    >>
    >>Makes no difference unless you are talking about type 2
    >>and you don't cut your calories and take more exercise,
    >>and thus already have the disease.
    >
    >The lack of understanding of T2 displayed in those two
    >posts led me to check the cross-posts. Being simplistically
    >almost right is better than being totally wrong I suppose.
    >If either of you actually have T2 and want to learn a
    >little more on the subject, cut the sci.med.nutrition
    >header and come over to a.s.d. for a little education.
    >You'd be welcome.
    >
    >Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.

    Another "expert because he has it"?

    The DM groups are full of them.

    Type two DM is characteristcally caused by having the
    genetic prediposition and then sitting on your ass for a few
    decades, eating too much, and becoming obese. Excess
    calories and lack of exercise are what contribute to it.
    Once you have it, then exercise, calorie reduced diet and
    strict carb reduction may help the continual progress of the
    disease. Eventually, if you live long enough, you will
    likely need drugs and/or insulin.

    The other silly bugger still thinks that sugar diabetes is
    caused by eating too much sugar. He claims to feel ill when
    he eats carbohydrates and so I suspect he is syndrome X.

    What do you think you can add to that?

  18. Mack©®

    Mack©® Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:32:00 +0800, "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:42:51 +1100, Alan
    ><[email protected]> posted:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:34:37 +0800, "Moosh:)"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 12 Mar 2004 07:54:54 -0800, [email protected]
    >>>(tcomeau) posted:

    >>>Makes no difference unless you are talking about type 2
    >>>and you don't cut your calories and take more exercise,
    >>>and thus already have the disease.
    >>
    >>The lack of understanding of T2 displayed in those two
    >>posts led me to check the cross-posts. Being
    >>simplistically almost right is better than being totally
    >>wrong I suppose. If either of you actually have T2 and
    >>want to learn a little more on the subject, cut the
    >>sci.med.nutrition header and come over to a.s.d. for a
    >>little education. You'd be welcome.
    >>
    >>Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
    >
    >Another "expert because he has it"?
    >
    >The DM groups are full of them.
    >
    >Type two DM is characteristcally caused by having the
    >genetic prediposition and then sitting on your ass for a
    >few decades, eating too much, and becoming obese. Excess
    >calories and lack of exercise are what contribute to it.
    >Once you have it, then exercise, calorie reduced diet and
    >strict carb reduction may help the continual progress of
    >the disease. Eventually, if you live long enough, you will
    >likely need drugs and/or insulin.

    well that certainly explains the thin, physically
    active type 2s.

    >The other silly bugger still thinks that sugar diabetes is
    >caused by eating too much sugar. He claims to feel ill when
    >he eats carbohydrates and so I suspect he is syndrome X.
    >
    >What do you think you can add to that?

    are you saying that a diabetic who eats to many carbs and
    has high blood sugar doesn't feel sick? do you know even
    know what it feels like to have a BG in excess of 250 mg/dl?
    how about in excess of 800
    mg/dl?

    you know just enough about diabetes to sound like you are
    informed, to someone who doesn't know anything about it. But
    to those of us who have lived our lives, all of our lives,
    as diabetics you sound like you are serious need of an
    education.

    Mack©«®» Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-
    diabetes.org http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of
    Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with
    strife and terrorism.

    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    President, or that we are to stand by the President
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    ...Theodore Roosevelt

  19. Mike V

    Mike V Guest

    "Mack©®" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:32:00 +0800, "Moosh:)"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:42:51 +1100, Alan
    > ><[email protected]> posted:

    news:<BC768C8A.14330%[email protected]>...

    > >>The lack of understanding of T2 displayed in those two
    > >>posts led me to check the cross-posts. Being
    > >>simplistically almost right is better than being totally
    > >>wrong I suppose. If either of you actually have T2 and
    > >>want to learn a little more on the subject, cut the
    > >>sci.med.nutrition header and come over to a.s.d. for a
    > >>little education. You'd be welcome.
    > >>
    > >>Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
    > >
    > >Another "expert because he has it"?
    > >
    > >The DM groups are full of them.
    > >
    > >Type two DM is characteristcally caused by having the
    > >genetic prediposition and then sitting on your ass for a
    > >few decades, eating too much, and becoming obese. Excess
    > >calories and lack of exercise are what contribute to it.
    > >Once you have it, then exercise, calorie reduced diet and
    > >strict carb reduction may help the continual progress of
    > >the disease. Eventually, if you live long enough, you
    > >will likely need drugs and/or insulin.
    >
    > well that certainly explains the thin, physically active
    > type 2s.
    >

    > >The other silly bugger still thinks that sugar diabetes
    > >is caused by eating too much sugar. He claims to feel ill
    > >when he eats carbohydrates and so I suspect he is
    > >syndrome X.
    > >
    > >What do you think you can add to that?
    > >

    > are you saying that a diabetic who eats to many carbs and
    > has high blood sugar doesn't feel sick? do you know even
    > know what it feels like to have a BG in excess of 250
    > mg/dl? how about in excess of 800
    > mg/dl?
    >
    > you know just enough about diabetes to sound like you are
    > informed, to someone who doesn't know anything about it.
    > But to those of us who have lived our lives, all of our
    > lives, as diabetics you sound like you are serious need of
    > an education.
    >
    > Mack©«®» Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-
    > diabetes.org http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
    >
    > In tribute to the United States of America and the State
    > of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled
    > with strife and terrorism.
    >
    > "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    > President, or that we are to stand by the President
    > right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    > but is morally treasonable to the American public."
    >
    > ...Theodore Roosevelt

    Silly man! (how could you have known?) The Ivory Tower in
    Mooshville is well known to be all-knowing and infallible.
    (something like the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfelt axis of WMD
    assessment:). Thus posits from this location require no
    justification. Moosh never makes an original post requiring
    thought or citation. Crisp authoritative denigration is his
    well honed specialty. He is valued for his entertainment
    value rather than his scientific contributions. ((Has some
    good 1950s text books, though.) (Hi moosh. Glad to know
    you're back after your bouts with malnutrition!) :-}

    MikeV

  20. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:33:32 -0500, Mack©® <[email protected]>
    posted:

    >On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:32:00 +0800, "Moosh:)"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:42:51 +1100, Alan
    >><[email protected]> posted:

    >>>The lack of understanding of T2 displayed in those two
    >>>posts led me to check the cross-posts. Being
    >>>simplistically almost right is better than being totally
    >>>wrong I suppose. If either of you actually have T2 and
    >>>want to learn a little more on the subject, cut the
    >>>sci.med.nutrition header and come over to a.s.d. for a
    >>>little education. You'd be welcome.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
    >>
    >>Another "expert because he has it"?
    >>
    >>The DM groups are full of them.
    >>
    >>Type two DM is characteristcally caused by having the
    >>genetic prediposition and then sitting on your ass for a
    >>few decades, eating too much, and becoming obese. Excess
    >>calories and lack of exercise are what contribute to it.
    >>Once you have it, then exercise, calorie reduced diet and
    >>strict carb reduction may help the continual progress of
    >>the disease. Eventually, if you live long enough, you will
    >>likely need drugs and/or insulin.
    >
    >well that certainly explains the thin, physically
    >active type 2s.

    No, only the 90% of obese ones. Did you not realise that
    type 2 DM covers several diseases? The one I described is
    the epidemic that experts are worried about. The
    obesity/exersise jobby. The syndrome X sequel.

    >>The other silly bugger still thinks that sugar diabetes
    >>is caused by eating too much sugar. He claims to feel ill
    >>when he eats carbohydrates and so I suspect he is
    >>syndrome X.
    >>
    >>What do you think you can add to that?
    >>

    >are you saying that a diabetic who eats to many carbs and
    >has high blood sugar doesn't feel sick?

    Not at all. But the other silly bugger claims not to be
    a diabetic.

    >do you know even know what it feels like to have a BG in
    >excess of 250 mg/dl?

    Usually symptomless, unless you go acidic.

    >how about in excess of 800
    >mg/dl?

    Unusual as the kidneys tend to spill excess glucose way
    before this level. But is this relevant to someone who
    claims a normal bg level?

    >you know just enough about diabetes to sound like you are
    >informed,

    So why are you not adding to what I said? Different
    disease to yours?

    > to someone who doesn't know anything about it. But to
    > those of us who have lived our lives, all of our lives, as
    > diabetics you sound like you are serious need of an
    > education.

    So what is missing? What gives you with Type 1 DM any
    cred with type 2, or didn't you realise they were
    different diseases?

    Perhaps if you reread what I said?