cheap chains and SRAM link?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ant

Ant Guest

can i use my SRAM 8 spd quick link with generic 6 dollar chains on my fixed beater? as long as it
    fits, and there are no funny noises, is there anything else i should be thinking about?

anthony

Tags:

2. Kinkycowboy

Kinkycowboy Guest

On 23 Feb 2003 13:54:23 -0800, [email protected] (ant) wrote:

>can i use my SRAM 8 spd quick link with generic 6 dollar chains on my fixed beater? as long as it
    >fits, and there are no funny noises, is there anything else i should be thinking about?
    >
    >anthony

Remind us why you want to use generic $6USD chains instead of SRAM $6USD chains? If I can buy
    single PC48 chains sans Powerlink for under £5GBP, I'm sure you could pick up a PC38 for $5.99USD.
    You definitely want to be sure the link fits precisely if the chain's integrity is providing one of
    your brakes.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

3. anthony-<< can i use my SRAM 8 spd quick link with generic 6 dollar chains on my fixed beater?

yep...

<< as long as it fits, and there are no funny noises, is there anything else i should be
    thinking about?

Nope....

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

4. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

KinkyCowboy wrote:

> Remind us why you want to use generic $6USD chains instead of SRAM $6USD chains? If I can buy
    > single PC48 chains sans Powerlink for under £5GBP, I'm sure you could pick up a PC38 for $5.99USD.
    > You definitely want to be sure the link fits precisely if the chain's integrity is providing one
    > of your brakes.

It would be great if $6 SRAM chains were available, but I have yet to find a bike shop that sells
    them. I used to stock up on PC48 when Performance or someone had them on sale for under $10, but I
    haven't even seen that for a few years. The problem is that bike shops aren't interested in selling
    a <$10 chain when they can sell you a >$15 one. As far as I'm concerned, that's just money down the
    toilet, but one man's waste is another man's profit, I guess.

Matt O.

5. Ant

Ant Guest

KinkyCowboy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Remind us why you want to use generic $6USD chains instead of SRAM $6USD chains?

unfortunately, i cant find SRAM products under 9.99 (for the pc-48). i can, however, get five dollar
    chains and i have a spare quick link. my beater, which is rarely cleaned, left outside, and
    constantly re-exposed to road sand and salt, seems to be chewing through chains like popcorn, so
    this seems like my best option.

there is probably some internet place i could find the pc-38 at, but i am already making an order
    and don't want to spend five dollars shipping a pair of five dollar chains.

thanks,

anthony

6. Kinkycowboy

Kinkycowboy Guest

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:51:10 GMT, Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

>KinkyCowboy wrote:
    >
    >> Remind us why you want to use generic $6USD chains instead of SRAM $6USD chains? If I can buy
    >> single PC48 chains sans Powerlink for under £5GBP, I'm sure you could pick up a PC38 for
    >> $5.99USD. You definitely want to be sure the link fits precisely if the chain's integrity is
    >> providing one of your brakes.
    >
    >It would be great if $6 SRAM chains were available, but I have yet to find a bike shop that sells
    >them. I used to stock up on PC48 when Performance or someone had them on sale for under $10, but I
    >haven't even seen that for a few years. The problem is that bike shops aren't interested in selling
    >a <$10 chain when they can sell you a >$15 one. As far as I'm concerned, that's just money down the
    >toilet, but one man's waste is another man's profit, I guess.
    >
    >Matt O.

Maybe I'm luckier over here than I imagined, lots of shops here have PC48 at under £5GBP, thats
    $8USD, including our 17.5% sales tax. Most bike parts are numerically equal in GBP or USD, though a
    lot of SRAM chains are manufactured in Europe which may explain why we get good deal here.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.