Cheap change to compact rings

pricera

Oct 8, 2003
I occasionally travel to/ride in a mountainous area (local area only has a fair amount of rolling terrain). I currently ride a Cannondale R4000si [CAAD 6] with a Cannondale Si Hollowgram crankset [39/53]. To date I have swapped out cogsets when planning for a climbing trip [to a 12-27]. My knees are weary of grinding a 39X27 @ 40rpm.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the cheapest way to swap out my 39/53 for a compact set, like a 34/50?

Can I just swap out chainrings??

Can anyone speak to what is compatible with the Cannondale Si Hollowgram bottom bracket [The CAAD6 has an oversized BB shell and axle]??

Thanks all.

pricera said:
I occasionally travel to/ride in a mountainous area (local area only has a fair amount of rolling terrain). I currently ride a Cannondale R4000si [CAAD 6] with a Cannondale Si Hollowgram crankset [39/53]. To date I have swapped out cogsets when planning for a climbing trip [to a 12-27]. My knees are weary of grinding a 39X27 @ 40rpm.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the cheapest way to swap out my 39/53 for a compact set, like a 34/50?

Can I just swap out chainrings??

Can anyone speak to what is compatible with the Cannondale Si Hollowgram bottom bracket [The CAAD6 has an oversized BB shell and axle]??

Thanks all.

You cannot just swap chainrings as the bolt circle diameter of the regular crank is 130mm and the compact is 110mm. I cannot comment on the Hollowgram BB compatiblity.

I made the change on my cannondale caad5 and relaced the BB as well as the crank set as the the compact crank uses a square taper in this case, english BB would be required for you. Ah, just noticed the oversize BB bit for caad6, good luck :(.
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K1105
Check Bontrager for 50/36 sets as an option. 2c

Thanks for the replies - Cannondale wrote back as well: You would need a spider with a 110mm BCD. We do offer a SI Hollowgram Spider with the compact 110mm BCD; item number QC693.
Thanks all and keep the rubber side down.