Cheap Clothing



IronHorseRider

New Member
Jun 7, 2010
9
0
0
I'm looking for cheap cycling jerseys and shorts but everywhere I look, it seems like they're at least $50. Anyone know where I can find the best deal?

Also, I did my first road ride the other day and noticed a lot of dirt/grit got in my eyes from the road so when I got home, I googled "cheap cycling sunglasses". The first site I found is called "Long's Cycle Supply". Has anyone had experience with them? They seem to have cheap sunglasses, but I'm not sure if they're any good for keeping stuff out of your eyes while riding. Does anyone get sunglasses from another place (for under $20)?

Here's the link: Long's Cycle Supply - Cycling Apparel at BlowOut Prices: Sunglasses
 

64Paramount

Well-Known Member
Jul 25, 2009
1,640
62
0
I'll add performancebike.com to Oldgoat's list and also say to watch for the discount sales.

There was a thread several weeks ago about sun glasses and someone mentioned using safety glasses. I had bought a set of safety glasses from Home Depot for less than $15 to use in the garage, but hadn't used them very much.

They are made by Nebo Tools, they use a light weight wrap around design, and came with both clear and dark tinted lenses. I've been wearing those this year and they've worked just fine for me.
 

vspa

Well-Known Member
Jan 11, 2009
2,203
76
0
ultimately, cheap stuff becomes an expensive choice!
 

Chavez

New Member
Jul 4, 2007
833
4
0
49
I've found good deals on Nashbar.

Also, eBay and patience go well if you're looking for bargains. You're gonna lose out on stuff but you'll get some good deals if you don't let it get to you.
 

cheney119

New Member
Jun 6, 2010
6
0
0
I've purchased some very nice jerseys and bib shorts on e-bay take a look around and you'll see what I mean.

I found a pair of specialized carbon comp road shoes for $30 that retailed for $175, not usually in the habit of buying second hand shoes, but the sin of pride is not that big a deal for me. Besides who would know unless I told them? Man talk about power transfer.

I'm a veritable clothes horse now.
 

ryan_tran03

New Member
Apr 24, 2010
30
2
0
As it might not always be the best decision... You have to admit that Ebay does have some great deals going on sometimes.

You can usually get a full set of bibs and jersey for around $50 on Ebay.

But if you don't like Ebay, Nashbar is pretty cool too!
Everyone else pretty much suggested it all...
 

64Paramount

Well-Known Member
Jul 25, 2009
1,640
62
0
cheney119 said:
I've purchased some very nice jerseys and bib shorts on e-bay take a look around and you'll see what I mean.

I found a pair of specialized carbon comp road shoes for $30 that retailed for $175, not usually in the habit of buying second hand shoes, but the sin of pride is not that big a deal for me. Besides who would know unless I told them? Man talk about power transfer.

I'm a veritable clothes horse now.

Heck, I'm envious that you got that great a deal on those shoes. Good for you!
 

Froze

Well-Known Member
Jul 13, 2004
4,711
750
83
NE Indiana
You want cheap jerseys or do you want cheap cycling specific jerseys with their gaudy print designs?

The cheapest your going to find is at WALMART! They come in plain solid colors and are made of 100% polyester which is the same thing $100 bike specific jerseys are made of. I use to live in the deserts of California and can attest that I felt just as cool (if being cool while riding in 100 degree weather is a proper description) with a $80 jersey as I was with a $12 one! The only thing missing in the Walmart jersey is the rear pocket which I never use anyways, and the gaudy advertisements which I care less for.

Walmart has tight fitting and slightly loose fitting jerseys, I prefer the loose because they actually are cooler.

You can go cheap with jersey's but you can't with shorts.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
eBay, Nashbar, Performance Bike, Sierra Trading Post......just let your fingers and Google do some work. Buying online might require an exchange or two if sizing isn't what you thought it would be, so given that, make sure you understand a store's or seller's return policy before buying.

Note that the idea that all cycling clothes have "gaudy" designs is, well, stupid. There are plenty of plain colored cycling clothes.
 

Froze

Well-Known Member
Jul 13, 2004
4,711
750
83
NE Indiana
alienator said:
Note that the idea that all cycling clothes have "gaudy" designs is, well, stupid. There are plenty of plain colored cycling clothes.

While that statement is true, most buy the gaudy ones and most LBS's carry nothing but the gaudy ones. Regardless, your right, you can find a very small collection of non gaudy ones that start at around $40 and go up for something that doesn't work any better then a $12 Walmart Jersey. So buying an expensive jersey just to look like you can spend money is, well, stupid!
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
Froze said:
While that statement is true, most buy the gaudy ones and most LBS's carry nothing but the gaudy ones. Regardless, your right, you can find a very small collection of non gaudy ones that start at around $40 and go up for something that doesn't work any better then a $12 Walmart Jersey. So buying an expensive jersey just to look like you can spend money is, well, stupid!

Most? Where is the evidence for that?

As for what works best, that's only your opinion. It is, however, patently stupid to assume the things you've assumed, namely what motivates cyclists to buy what they buy.

As it happens there can be a great difference in comfort among cycling clothes, jerseys if you wish, a difference that can make a substantial difference on a ride.

As for what's gaudy and not, it's best to leave that up to the individual, instead of projecting your preferences and biases on others.
 

Froze

Well-Known Member
Jul 13, 2004
4,711
750
83
NE Indiana
alienator said:
As for what's gaudy and not, it's best to leave that up to the individual, instead of projecting your preferences and biases on others.

I like projecting my preferences and biases on others, because I know the only person stupid enough to respond IS YOU!! And you never fail to respond.
 

64Paramount

Well-Known Member
Jul 25, 2009
1,640
62
0
Froze said:
I like projecting my preferences and biases on others, because I know the only person stupid enough to respond IS YOU!! And you never fail to respond.

Actually I suspect there are a lot of people that realize you like stating your opinions as facts, and that you can get very upset and confused when someone disagrees with you.

Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's just sad.
 

IronHorseRider

New Member
Jun 7, 2010
9
0
0
Thanks for all the links! If I buy online without trying any jerseys on, is there a rule of thumb that I should follow like "if you wear a medium t-shirt, buy a certain size jersey"? Or is it just best to go to my LBS and try some stuff on? I see that performance is having a 20% off sale on all their performance brand clothing if you buy online, so I'll probably get a pair of shorts and a couple jerseys.
 

Chavez

New Member
Jul 4, 2007
833
4
0
49
IronHorseRider said:
Thanks for all the links! If I buy online without trying any jerseys on, is there a rule of thumb that I should follow like "if you wear a medium t-shirt, buy a certain size jersey"? Or is it just best to go to my LBS and try some stuff on? I see that performance is having a 20% off sale on all their performance brand clothing if you buy online, so I'll probably get a pair of shorts and a couple jerseys.

My experience has been go a size up; if you're buying a brand that ends in a vowel, go up 2 sizes.
 

Froze

Well-Known Member
Jul 13, 2004
4,711
750
83
NE Indiana
I'm very, very, very, very, very upset you don't agree with me. My real name is Hitler and I'm still alive and well in Columbia, just don't tell anyone. And I'm both funny and sad, thats why I still keep the toothbrush mustache to be funny, but I'm sad that I only own a house and not the world. Ah well, maybe my comrades in the EU can make it work the next time.
 
May 31, 2010
43
6
0
Chavez said:
My experience has been go a size up; if you're buying a brand that ends in a vowel, go up 2 sizes.

That sounds like good advice -- seems like European cycling clothes are 2 sizes smaller than most American clothes.
 

Similar threads