Cheap cranks

Robert Strickla

Guest
I bought a set of cheap Sugino cranks ($7) mailorder for a beater but when they arrived they came
with what look like really flimsy plastic dustcovers rather than mounting bolts my other cranks
have. The question is, what's it going to take to install them and is it possible to buy some decent
quality bolts separately?

Robert Strickland

what's it
> going to take to install them and is it possible to buy some decent
quality
> bolts separately?
>
> Robert Strickland

Robert, the main issue will probably be spindle length compatibility---when it is pressed on the
axle, make sure the granny gear on the Sugino crank has about 5mm clearance from the right side
chainstay.

As for bolts, any standard axle bolt, hex or allen, should work to mount the cranks, then just put a
dustcap cover over that. I grease the spindle slightly, and also the threads on the mounting bolts.

Sugino's aren't all that bad, I have them on a Klein I bop around on sometimes.

Have fun! Seek help from the local bike shop if necessary! They are now used to this sort of
dilemma....

[email protected]

Sugino supplies bolts with their BBs, not the arms.

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought a set of cheap Sugino cranks ($7) mailorder for a beater but when they arrived they came
> with what look like really flimsy plastic
dustcovers
> rather than mounting bolts my other cranks have. The question is, what's
it
> going to take to install them and is it possible to buy some decent
quality
> bolts separately?

Any LBS should have the currently popular 8mm allen bolts or the mechanic-friendly 14 or 15mm crank
bolts. Any crank bolt fits all square-taper BB spindles with hollow center and any crank nut fits
all spindles with male threads so you don't have to worry about compatibility. Lube the threads well
and under the head/washer too.

re:"flimsy"- The dust cap doesn't have to do much and the "flimsy" ones are a big improvement over
the corrode-in-place metal ones with a strippable allen key broach.