Cheap cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. I bought a set of cheap Sugino cranks ($7) mailorder for a beater but when they arrived they came
    with what look like really flimsy plastic dustcovers rather than mounting bolts my other cranks
    have. The question is, what's it going to take to install them and is it possible to buy some decent
    quality bolts separately?

    Robert Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Seattletim

    Seattletim Guest

    what's it
    > going to take to install them and is it possible to buy some decent
    quality
    > bolts separately?
    >
    > Robert Strickland

    Robert, the main issue will probably be spindle length compatibility---when it is pressed on the
    axle, make sure the granny gear on the Sugino crank has about 5mm clearance from the right side
    chainstay.

    As for bolts, any standard axle bolt, hex or allen, should work to mount the cranks, then just put a
    dustcap cover over that. I grease the spindle slightly, and also the threads on the mounting bolts.

    Sugino's aren't all that bad, I have them on a Klein I bop around on sometimes.

    Have fun! Seek help from the local bike shop if necessary! They are now used to this sort of
    dilemma....

    [email protected]

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Sugino supplies bolts with their BBs, not the arms.

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a set of cheap Sugino cranks ($7) mailorder for a beater but when they arrived they came
    > with what look like really flimsy plastic
    dustcovers
    > rather than mounting bolts my other cranks have. The question is, what's
    it
    > going to take to install them and is it possible to buy some decent
    quality
    > bolts separately?

    Any LBS should have the currently popular 8mm allen bolts or the mechanic-friendly 14 or 15mm crank
    bolts. Any crank bolt fits all square-taper BB spindles with hollow center and any crank nut fits
    all spindles with male threads so you don't have to worry about compatibility. Lube the threads well
    and under the head/washer too.

    re:"flimsy"- The dust cap doesn't have to do much and the "flimsy" ones are a big improvement over
    the corrode-in-place metal ones with a strippable allen key broach.