Cheap front and rear derailleurs and their issues, help

oroden01

Jul 28, 2006
My bottom of the line bike has cheap front and rear derailleurs. I have no problem using them until they break, then upgrade. my issue is that i am hearing noise from the chain swinging all over the place when i sprint and the setup doesn't feel tight, i don't know if anyone will understand that but when you get on a 500$ bike or 5000$, one feels tighter and well put together. is switching the front and rear derailleurs help this, or should i switch the crank, maybe both? if anyone can help, even if its telling me that nothing will help would be great, at least i will know there is nothing i can do except wait for a better bike.

oroden01 said:
My bottom of the line bike has cheap front and rear derailleurs. I have no problem using them until they break, then upgrade. my issue is that i am hearing noise from the chain swinging all over the place when i sprint and the setup doesn't feel tight, i don't know if anyone will understand that but when you get on a 500$ bike or 5000$, one feels tighter and well put together. is switching the front and rear derailleurs help this, or should i switch the crank, maybe both? if anyone can help, even if its telling me that nothing will help would be great, at least i will know there is nothing i can do except wait for a better bike.
Ensuring the cables are "properly" lubricated goes a long way toward the performance of the components ... lubing "generic" housing & cables can make them almost as slippery as Campagnolo's housing (which I consider to be the "best" ... nice, if you can afford them).

That is, presuming your current derailleurs aren't dry & rusted, if you were to simply change them for high-zoot stuff without changing the cables, they would feel the same.