Cheap front lights

Keith Willoughb

Guest
Cycling home from Cardiff on Monday, and waiting to cross on
a Toucan crossing, I leant forward on my bars and must have
released the lock on the front light. As I set off, the
light fell onto the road. I continued on my way to the other
side, stopped to go pick it up, and the first car to come
along ran over it. D'oh.

So, I need a new one. I have no plans for night-time
cycling, I just want one for the odd trip down to Tesco, or
if I spend longer out than I intended and am coming home in
the dark. Mostly I'll need to been seen, rather than to see.
Hence, I don't want to spend much money.

Can anyone recommend one of the sub-15-quid ones on Wiggle?

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "Men never do
evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> So, I need a new one. I have no plans for night-time
> cycling, I just want one for the odd trip down to Tesco,
> or if I spend longer out than I intended and am coming
> home in the dark. Mostly I'll need to been seen, rather
> than to see. Hence, I don't want to spend much money.
>
> Can anyone recommend one of the sub-15-quid ones on
> Wiggle?

A Cateye HL-EL110 lasted me through the winter, compromising
of daily commuting in the dark and cack weather, and the odd
late evening hour-long spin, some unlit roads involved (but
usually with full moon and clear sky - loverly!). This light
didn't do much for lighting up the road ahead, but it was
good enough for people to see me. Quite often I'd get the
glow reflecting on a road sign, and moved into the kerb
thinking a car had come up behind me.

Single LED beam, quick-release handlebar mount (has the
option of permanent fixing), 110 hour beam time - £14.99 at
Wiggle, a bit cheaper at my LBS.

Iain Jones wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>> So, I need a new one. I have no plans for night-time
>> cycling, I just want one for the odd trip down to Tesco,
>> or if I spend longer out than I intended and am coming
>> home in the dark. Mostly I'll need to been seen, rather
>> than to see. Hence, I don't want to spend much money.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend one of the sub-15-quid ones on
>> Wiggle?
>>

> A Cateye HL-EL110 lasted me through the winter,
[...]

Cheers!

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "And we were
singing hymns and arias"

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> A Cateye HL-EL110 lasted me through the winter,
> [...]
>
> Cheers!

Oh, forgot to mention - the lid only clips on, no screws or
owt, it's a fairly secure fit but the rattling annoys the
hell out of me after a few hours! Should be easily fixed
though with some blu-tack, or sellotape, or something ;-)