Cheap full-length mudguards?

MoreBikesPlease

Guest
In Melbourne, full-length mudguards like SKS all seem to be around the $70-
80 range. Putting these on a second-hand MTB, they could cost more than
the bike!

It looks like buying them from the USA would end up a similar price, once
shipping is added on.

Is there anyway to get them cheaper? Maybe a Chinese brand or something?

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:21:09 GMT
MoreBikesPlease <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Melbourne, full-length mudguards like SKS all seem to be around the $70-
> 80 range. Putting these on a second-hand MTB, they could cost more than
> the bike!
>
> It looks like buying them from the USA would end up a similar price, once
> shipping is added on.

two mudguards - 1x26" 1x20" - cost me $49 from flyingfurniture.com.au
last year. Bought with a bike, so who knows what they'd be on their
own?

Have you considered the plastic from several PET softdrink bottles and
some pop rivets?

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone said:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:21:09 GMT
MoreBikesPlease <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Melbourne, full-length mudguards like SKS all seem to be around the $70-
> 80 range. Putting these on a second-hand MTB, they could cost more than
> the bike!

(1) Hard rubbish collection?

Now under way in Whitehorse.

(2) Ceres.

Mike

On Jul 17, 9:21 pm, MoreBikesPlease <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Melbourne, full-length mudguards like SKS all seem to be around the $70-
> 80 range. Putting these on a second-hand MTB, they could cost more than
> the bike!
>
> It looks like buying them from the USA would end up a similar price, once
> shipping is added on.
>
> Is there anyway to get them cheaper? Maybe a Chinese brand or something?

I got a set for my MTB off eBay for about $30 including postage, they
work very well. Do a search, they turn up pretty regularly.

MoreBikesPlease wrote:
> In Melbourne, full-length mudguards like SKS all seem to be around the $70-
> 80 range. Putting these on a second-hand MTB, they could cost more than
> the bike!
>
> It looks like buying them from the USA would end up a similar price, once
> shipping is added on.
>
> Is there anyway to get them cheaper? Maybe a Chinese brand or something?

How about $79.95 for a pair of full mudguards AND a rack?

http://www.oo.com.au/18_Speed_26_66cm_Hi-Ten_Ste_P2524C29.cfm

BTH
(Plus you get a pair of wheels, handlebars, brakes, derailleurs and
frame as well.)

MoreBikesPlease wrote:

> Is there anyway to get them cheaper? Maybe a Chinese brand or something?

Depending on your skill and free resources, make your own.

Strips of perspex and similar material[1] can be bent into a curve, and
bolted/attached in the appropriate places.

At one stage, you just needed to cut a flat strip for the stay and drill
the holes to match a stay-bolt (bolt with hole for wire stay, plus nut)

Home mades have the advantage that you can get the stick in a lot easier
to clean the mud out and/or (non-pc) end of ride hose down. Actually it
is only non-pc if you don't do it on the lawn or garden {:).

[1] sign cutting/making places might have off cuts they will give or
sell cheaply.

On 2007-07-17, MoreBikesPlease <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Melbourne, full-length mudguards like SKS all seem to be around the $70-
> 80 range. Putting these on a second-hand MTB, they could cost more than
> the bike!
>
> It looks like buying them from the USA would end up a similar price, once
> shipping is added on.
>
> Is there anyway to get them cheaper? Maybe a Chinese brand or something?

We sell these for about $50 at Human Power Cycles. Also the CERES
bikeshed has several dozen sets, mostly in 27" and english 26" but you
may get lucky and find a set for MTB 26".

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> We sell these for about $50 at Human Power Cycles. Also the CERES
> bikeshed has several dozen sets, mostly in 27" and english 26" but you
> may get lucky and find a set for MTB 26".
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

Hey you guys look awesome, I'll come and have a look sometime. Near CERES
too - two birds with one stone!

Terryc <[email protected]> wrote in
01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.
au:

> MoreBikesPlease wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to get them cheaper? Maybe a Chinese brand or
>> something?

> Depending on your skill and free resources, make your own.
>
> Strips of perspex and similar material[1] can be bent into a curve,
> and bolted/attached in the appropriate places.
>
> At one stage, you just needed to cut a flat strip for the stay and
> drill the holes to match a stay-bolt (bolt with hole for wire stay,
> plus nut)
>
> Home mades have the advantage that you can get the stick in a lot
> easier to clean the mud out and/or (non-pc) end of ride hose down.
> Actually it is only non-pc if you don't do it on the lawn or garden
> {:).
>

> [1] sign cutting/making places might have off cuts they will give or
> sell cheaply.

Yeah good point. I've done a bit of DIY stuff with polycarbonate, heat
gun and rivets, so a semi-3D profile may be possible... And with the
rainwater tank washing down is PC even on the grass! :) Too many other
projects in the queue already though...

Why not try the shop under richmond station. They are usually at the
lower end of bike shop prices in my experience.

SKS mudguards don't rattle like cheap metal ones. Mine are over 20years
old now.

Wilfred