cheap gatorade alternative

trino

Guest
nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely sugar,
salt and fibre.
they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
popcorn same content as energy bar,

gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
one kool aid package w/o sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. juice
Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy drinks.
I water mine down quite alot more.

drain the lizard

"trino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely sugar,
> salt and fibre.
> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>
> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
> one kool aid package w/o sugar
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 c. sugar
> 1 c. juice
> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy
> drinks. I water mine down quite alot more.
>
> drain the lizard

And you are a nutritionist or just play on on TV?

That was what the original GatorAid was, according to their ingredient
label.

Water, sucrose, elecrtolytes (salt), artificial flavor and color.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "trino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely
>> sugar, salt and fibre.
>> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
>> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>>
>> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
>> one kool aid package w/o sugar
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 1/2 c. sugar
>> 1 c. juice
>> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
>> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy
>> drinks. I water mine down quite alot more.
>>
>> drain the lizard

> And you are a nutritionist or just play on on TV?

No, but I would like to see you eat popcorn during a race if you want to
test the theory.

>>> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely
>>> sugar, salt and fibre.

well, in the first place, no nutritionist would make such a statement. That
was you and you're NOT a nutritionist. You just want to blow off your mouth.

Pat in TX

"Chris Z The Wheelman" > That was what the original GatorAid was, according
to their ingredient
> label.
>
> Water, sucrose, elecrtolytes (salt), artificial flavor and color.

There is more to electrolytes that just sodium chloride. You need to study
some more.

trino wrote:
> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely sugar,
> salt and fibre.
> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>
> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
> one kool aid package w/o sugar
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 c. sugar
> 1 c. juice
> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy drinks.
> I water mine down quite alot more.

Good info - thanks!

On another note, what do you recommend for chain lube?

thx,
dkl

In article <a_tvg.214434$IK3.36307@pd7tw1no>,
"trino" <[email protected]> writes:
> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely sugar,
> salt and fibre.
> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>
> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
> one kool aid package w/o sugar
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 c. sugar
> 1 c. juice
> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy drinks.
> I water mine down quite alot more.

I'd be inclined to opt for iced tea crystals in lieu of Kool Aid.

Zoot might suggest subbing the sugar with honey, and I'd agree.

Instructions from a packet of Kool Aid someone gave me a while back:

"Stir in contents of envelope. Watch the green drink mix turn into
a blue drink."

The flavour is called "Changin' Cherry." Needless to say, the
packet remains unopened. I don't know why I even still have it.

My local supermarket (Buy Low) sells a non-carbonated grapefruit
flavoured soft drink which I find quite refreshing. Actually I
think it's supposed to be carbonated, but it's just the cheap stuff.
But I think it could make a good base for a sports drink.

> drain the lizard

I wish the parks board would keep the public restrooms open
for longer -- both during the day, and during the year.
I hate grotty ol' gas station restrooms.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> trino wrote:
>> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely
>> sugar,
>> salt and fibre.
>> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
>> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>>
>> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
>> one kool aid package w/o sugar
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 1/2 c. sugar
>> 1 c. juice
>> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
>> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy
>> drinks.
>> I water mine down quite alot more.

> Good info - thanks!
>
> On another note, what do you recommend for chain lube?

Same thing. Try it.

When your in the hospital and only have intravenous for nutrients they give
you salt and sugar through your vein.
secondly, I heard it on a TV health show. So Go buy a $5 bar of wood chips
who cares Pat you obviously have more money than brains anyway.

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris Z The Wheelman" > That was what the original GatorAid was,
> according to their ingredient
>> label.
>>
>> Water, sucrose, elecrtolytes (salt), artificial flavor and color.

> There is more to electrolytes that just sodium chloride. You need to study
> some more.

"trino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely sugar,
> salt and fibre.
> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>
> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
> one kool aid package w/o sugar
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 c. sugar
> 1 c. juice
> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy
> drinks. I water mine down quite alot more.
>
> drain your lizard

I do not know if anyone here gets Street Cents but a few years back they did
a double blind survey to see what sport drink was the best for energy
boosting during a workout and the group of teenagers all picked the
kool-aid. So I believe this recipe is better for the price and obviously
the juice is going to be very beneficial too for the electrolytes
/nutritional factor.

In article <A7Evg.212953$Mn5.198224@pd7tw3no>,
"trino" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So I believe this recipe is better for the price and obviously
> the juice is going to be very beneficial too for the electrolytes
> /nutritional factor.

During intense activity, like bike racing, fructose, the sugar in
"juice," can upset the stomach. But I like Kool-Aid and your recipe.

--
Vegan Reich!
http://www.meetyourmeat.com/

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote:

> There is more to electrolytes that just sodium chloride. You need to study
> some more.

Yet the only electrolyte that's been shown to get depleted to
performance affecting levels is sodium. Sweating out all your sodium
stores can make you very sick.

Plenty of anecdotes that potassium can help prevent muscle cramps,
though.
--
terry morse - Undiscovered Country Tours - http://udctours.com

During a marathon some years ago, I decided early on to try drinking
the Energy Juice (whatever Gatorade like drink was being used) instead
of plain water. At about mile 16 I got so sick I could not continue
and quit. It was not flu or anything else, because I was fine the next
day. I've never used such drinks again during hard exercise or riding
-- just plain water. Today I abstain from all refined sugars, the
usual content of energy bars.

I remember well, however, the great taste of cold Kool-Aid my mother
made when I was growing up.

Dave

[email protected] wrote:
> During a marathon some years ago, I decided early on to try drinking
> the Energy Juice (whatever Gatorade like drink was being used) instead
> of plain water. At about mile 16 I got so sick I could not continue
> and quit. It was not flu or anything else, because I was fine the next
> day. I've never used such drinks again during hard exercise or riding
> -- just plain water. Today I abstain from all refined sugars, the
> usual content of energy bars.

I can't drink the sports drinks unless I cut them to 1/4 strength.
They make me sick, too - far too much sugar. Ditto the "energy bars"
and gels. Can't eat them, they make me sick, too much of a sugar load.

For electrolyte replacement, I'd prefer something other than xxxxx-ade,
sans artificial coloring and processed sugar. I used to have a recipe
for home-made sports drink that was mostly water, organic apple juice
(no sugar added), and a little salt that worked every bit as well as
any sports drink, tasted better, and didn't make me sick.

There's always PediaCare if you're THAT worried about it.

But to each their own.

Luck!

Sojourner

Kevan Smith wrote:
> In article <A7Evg.212953$Mn5.198224@pd7tw3no>,
> "trino" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > So I believe this recipe is better for the price and obviously
> > the juice is going to be very beneficial too for the electrolytes
> > /nutritional factor.

> During intense activity, like bike racing, fructose, the sugar in
> "juice," can upset the stomach. But I like Kool-Aid and your recipe.

Odd. I've found the opposite to be true. It's the refined sugar in
the gels, power bars, and commercial sports drinks that upsets MY
stomach. I have to cut gatorade and its ilk to 1/4 strength to be able
to drink it and ride.

Now, too much straight apple juice can cause some distress a little
further along the digestive tract.... LOL!

Sojourner

"Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] wrote:
>> During a marathon some years ago, I decided early on to try drinking
>> the Energy Juice (whatever Gatorade like drink was being used) instead
>> of plain water. At about mile 16 I got so sick I could not continue
>> and quit. It was not flu or anything else, because I was fine the next
>> day. I've never used such drinks again during hard exercise or riding
>> -- just plain water. Today I abstain from all refined sugars, the
>> usual content of energy bars.

> I can't drink the sports drinks unless I cut them to 1/4 strength.
> They make me sick, too - far too much sugar. Ditto the "energy bars"
> and gels. Can't eat them, they make me sick, too much of a sugar load.
>

> For electrolyte replacement, I'd prefer something other than xxxxx-ade,
> sans artificial coloring and processed sugar. I used to have a recipe
> for home-made sports drink that was mostly water, organic apple juice
> (no sugar added), and a little salt that worked every bit as well as
> any sports drink, tasted better, and didn't make me sick.
>
> There's always PediaCare if you're THAT worried about it.
>
> But to each their own.
>
> Luck!
>
> Sojourner

Sounds real good. sans sugar.
maybe dextrose powder could be used. My recipe only has 1/2 the normal
sugar and then I double the water again so it is 1/4.
I have always doubled the water in my Gatorade but Organic Apple Juice would
even be better. thank-you

"Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kevan Smith wrote:
>> In article <A7Evg.212953$Mn5.198224@pd7tw3no>,
>> "trino" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > So I believe this recipe is better for the price and obviously
>> > the juice is going to be very beneficial too for the electrolytes
>> > /nutritional factor.

>> During intense activity, like bike racing, fructose, the sugar in
>> "juice," can upset the stomach. But I like Kool-Aid and your recipe.

> Odd. I've found the opposite to be true. It's the refined sugar in
> the gels, power bars, and commercial sports drinks that upsets MY
> stomach. I have to cut gatorade and its ilk to 1/4 strength to be able
> to drink it and ride.
>
> Now, too much straight apple juice can cause some distress a little
> further along the digestive tract.... LOL!
>
> Sojourner

You have probably heard of the O2 drinks with 1500% more oxygen. They do
not work as such 'cept for high altitude excursions. Breathing is a far
better solution.
Just shows you though how far they will go to prove it is not your fitness
level in general giving poor performance results but their essential product
you need.
I am surprised they do not sell bottled air. Or invisible drinks for the
lightness and agility you need to be No.1. LOL
read this
Results
http://vancouver.ctv.ca/displayresults.jsp?id=/olsen/stories/2004/01/olsen-20040116.htm

> "Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Kevan Smith wrote:

>>> During intense activity, like bike racing, fructose, the sugar in
>>> "juice," can upset the stomach. But I like Kool-Aid and your recipe.

>> Odd. I've found the opposite to be true. It's the refined sugar in
>> the gels, power bars, and commercial sports drinks that upsets MY
>> stomach. I have to cut gatorade and its ilk to 1/4 strength to be able
>> to drink it and ride.
>>
>> Now, too much straight apple juice can cause some distress a little
>> further along the digestive tract.... LOL!
>>
>> Sojourner

> You have probably heard of the O2 drinks with 1500% more oxygen. They do
> not work as such 'cept for high altitude excursions. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a joke, right? How are you supposed to absorb oxygen through the
stomach? Yet, I can give you one that is even more ridiculous. I knew a
mother who would give her children carbonated drinks when they were sick, on
the theory that the CO2 provided them with needed oxygen. But, she was a
dumb peroxide blonde.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "trino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Odd. I've found the opposite to be true. It's the refined sugar in
>>> the gels, power bars, and commercial sports drinks that upsets MY
>>> stomach. I have to cut gatorade and its ilk to 1/4 strength to be able
>>> to drink it and ride.
>>>
>>> Now, too much straight apple juice can cause some distress a little
>>> further along the digestive tract.... LOL!
>>>
>>> Sojourner

>> You have probably heard of the O2 drinks with 1500% more oxygen. They do
>> not work as such 'cept for high altitude excursions. (clip)

> This is a joke, right? How are you supposed to absorb oxygen through the
> stomach? Yet, I can give you one that is even more ridiculous. I knew a
> mother who would give her children carbonated drinks when they were sick,
> on the theory that the CO2 provided them with needed oxygen. But, she was
> a dumb peroxide blonde.

Is is not a joke. did you go to the link?
Carbonated pop always cures my stomach upsets. BTW
same concept as ENO I suspect which is fruit salt. Extremely bubbly.
Correction She was a SMART peroxide blond.