Cheap + good quality clothes on ebay - is it possible ?

r_warrier

Oct 23, 2009
I need a new kit thats relatively cheap and bright (l like cars to see me). I found this Liquigas kit on ebay which is a replica - and its only A$58 for the jersey and bib shorts.

2009 Liquigas Cycling JERSEY + BIB SHORTS new - eBay Jerseys, Shirts, Clothing, Cycling, Sport. (end time 03-Nov-09 12:39:41 AEDST)

The guys selling the stuff are apparently aussie riders based in China. I have sent a couple of messages to them and they sound like they know their stuff. They reckon their stuff is high quality and comes out of the same factory that makes well known brands.

The seller is called aussie_jersey eBay My World - aussie_jerseyeBay My World - aussie_jersey

I've been to china a few times and have always found that amongst the **** there is always good quality stuff if you know what you are looking for.

Anyone had any experience with this ebayer ? Or anyone actually got a decent kit that has come from China. I'm thinking for $58 its worth a try. If it's good gear then it could save me a bit over the season.

I have bought 2 cervelo replica jersey and bib shorts on ebay. I personally think they are knock offs but you can't tell. the only issue I have had is the quality doesn't seem to be as good as the real thing. My 1st pair I got about 2 months ago started ripping in the seems all around within 3 rides. I think it was a size to small and the dealer worked with me in sending me another set but in a larger size for free. The material seems to be the same, the padding seems to be thinner. BUT for $58 it's still a good deal. Although I did get a set of winter bibs from my local bike shop for $130 and the padding is wonderful compared to the replica, and the stiching and overall quality seems to be MUCH better.

just stay away from a dealer igloo.2008! guy has higher prices than everyone else and took him 3 months to receive his jersey for my friend. after several messages threatening to cancel my order I finally got the package to see the date stamp said a week before I got it meaning e never sent it out till then when he had said he sent it out 3 months ago and had been tracking it with his post office.

I'm not sure what China has to do with anything since they're just as capable of making good kit as the Italians, Swiss, Germans, or the Sudanese.

When it comes to bike clothing, you often get what you pay for.

alienator said:
I'm not sure what China has to do with anything since they're just as capable of making good kit as the Italians, Swiss, Germans, or the Sudanese.

Yeah - I agree that the Chinese are capable of making good kits - my favourite UNO bibs were made their and they as good as the Santini bibs that i had before that.

When it comes to everyday clothing I know that you can go to markets in China and buy shirts that are made from the same factories as brand name shirts and pick them up for a 1/3 of the price.

My question really was is it possible to actually get very good quality clothing clothes direct from China ? There is always going to be variance in the quality that you get from there and variance on ebay - and that was this particular ebayer is saying.

Anyway - l guess the only way to really know is to order a kit and test it myself.

I will report back soon.

alienator said:

I think what he was asking was more along the lines of are they knock offs since they are so cheap compared to the full retail price here in the US.

Yep, I've never understood why good quality bibs are one of the only bike product not made in Asia.

Here I go again, whinging about prices in Australia, :) but here are some examples: Vermarc bibs retail here for about $150 to $160; Nalinis are aboout $130. Brands like GSG, Santini and Giordana, etc, are about the same, but the fancy stuff, such as Assos and 2XU are almost $300!

Ok, admit I pretty much never pay top dollar for bibs; I wait until they get discounted for about $65

531Aussie said:
Yep, I've never understood why good quality bibs are one of the only bike product not made in Asia.

Here I go again, whinging about prices in Australia, :) but here are some examples: Vermarc bibs retail here for about $150 to $160; Nalinis are aboout $130. Brands like GSG, Santini and Giordana, etc, are about the same, but the fancy stuff, such as Assos and 2XU are almost $300!

Ok, admit I pretty much never pay top dollar for bibs; I wait until they get discounted for about $65

I think Assos are $300 everywhere. I'm a Giordana fan, but I troll eFlay for Giordana goods. I don't think I've ever seen Vermarc in the US.

Hmmm, it's a little suprsing that Vermarc aren't ubiquitous in the U.S., considering they make a lot of Pro Tour stuff.

It looks like they're trying: Vermarc USA Home

I once started a thread on Bike Forums about "why aren't good bibs made in Asia", and i was shouted down for promoting sweatshops, and just about called a commie :p

531Aussie said:
I once started a thread on Bike Forums about "why aren't good bibs made in Asia", and i was shouted down for promoting sweatshops, and just about called a commie :p

It could be Vermarc has been here. I don't always pay attention. My wife says I pay too much attention to other wom........nevermind.

Clearly, you are a commie. We have a long tradition and history, here in the USofDemocracy, of identifying commies. Why, I pointed out 4 or 5 just today. They were at a coffee shop......and you know what that means.

So, it was you who took the reins after McCarthy?

By the way, we have a new price record for a frame-set: $13,200 (rec. retail) for one of these ti/carbon Passonis!

collezione_title09.jpg

531Aussie said:
So, it was you who took the reins after McCarthy?

By the way, we have a new price record for a frame-set: $13,200 (rec. retail) for one of these ti/carbon Passonis!

collezione_title09.jpg

Man you guys get raped on bike kit prices in the Antipodes. Does every new bike or frame down there come with a tube of Anal-Eze?

A third of that price is just in the wheels.

Yep. They keep telling us we get it all back with our "great" healthcare system :p

I have a jersey from Aerotech that I bought on eBay.

Cycling Jersey Biking Short Sleeve Bike Shirt RED LARGE - eBay (item 180342654856 end time Nov-27-09 10:37:49 PST)

I also have jerseys from Performance (nice but more expensive), Castelli (small for size and zipper is impossible to undo) and Canari (okay but front is too short compared to back). The Aerotech is actually my favourite (yes I spell like an Aussie because I is one ;-)) as it is long in the body (like me), and nice comfortable fit (large for me, 44" chest, 31" waist). They're kind of plain styling wise but I don't race (yet) so that's fine with me.

Hi all,

After a 5 day wait i got my gear yesterday and had my first long ride today in the glorious sunshine down here at the moment. I am so impressed with this gear - the pad is coolmax and not only feels quite comfortable but also wicks the sweat away well. The jersey also wicked away quite well in todays heat. After 150 km on the saddle i was still feeling as comfortable as you can expect.

Thanks for the opinions here - l'm glad i made the plunge, such a bargain at $59 !!!

If anyone is looking for new kit - i highly recommend this ebayer-

eBay My World - aussie_jersey

or their items -

Latest 09 COLUMBIA HTC Cycling JERSEY + BIB SHORTS - eBay Jerseys, Shirts, Clothing, Cycling, Sport. (end time 13-Nov-09 00:18:48 AEDST)