cheap heart rate monitors

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by chesty, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. chesty

    chesty Guest

    I've been googling for info on cheap heart rate monitors without much
    success. Does anyone have any comments on gpulse, or other cheap
    HRM's? gpulse seem to be going for around $60 on ebay, cheap if it
    works OK, expensive if it's no good. It's more of a interesting toy
    for me, rather than a serious training device, I can't justify
    spending $700 on one regardless of how much I'd love to have it ;)

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    I suppose it depends on what you mean by cheap. Paraphrasing Homer Simpson, you might ask for the "best, second-cheapest" HRM on offer. Around $100-$200 range in the major brands should give you something that fits your needs.

    I have a Cardiosport... something... I can't remember because it's a couple of years past my short term memory. It was about $180 when new and beeps if your heart beats outside of a user-defined range. It also records up to 30 'snapshots' of heart rates for recall at a later time. I dare say it would be cheaper these days.

    Ritch

  3. chesty

    chesty Guest

    ritcho <[email protected]> writes:
    > I suppose it depends on what you mean by cheap. Paraphrasing Homer
    > Simpson, you might ask for the "best, second-cheapest" HRM on offer.
    > Around $100-$200 range in the major brands should give you something
    > that fits your needs.
    >
    > I have a Cardiosport... something... I can't remember because it's a
    > couple of years past my short term memory. It was about $180 when new
    > and beeps if your heart beats outside of a user-defined range. It also
    > records up to 30 'snapshots' of heart rates for recall at a later time.
    > I dare say it would be cheaper these days.

    Thanks ritcho. Cheap would be $60. ;) I guess for $60 I can suck it
    and see, $200 is getting spendy for what I want it for. I'm hoping
    someone who has a gpulse can tell us what it's like.

    Do you still use your cardiosport... something... and does it have
    changeable batteries?

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 at 09:48 GMT, ritcho (aka Bruce)
    > I have a Cardiosport... something... I can't remember because it's a
    > couple of years past my short term memory. It was about $180 when new
    > and beeps if your heart beats outside of a user-defined range. It also

    Oh, that's handy. If you die, it beeps at you in a nice soothing tone
    to warn you that you are dead.

    Chairman: We continue with an afternoon of numerical stimulations.
    -- An astronomy talk

  5. Jason Parkes

    Jason Parkes Guest

    "chesty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've been googling for info on cheap heart rate monitors without much
    > success. Does anyone have any comments on gpulse, or other cheap
    > HRM's? gpulse seem to be going for around $60 on ebay, cheap if it
    > works OK, expensive if it's no good. It's more of a interesting toy
    > for me, rather than a serious training device, I can't justify
    > spending $700 on one regardless of how much I'd love to have it ;)

    Chesty,

    I bought my "Crane" heart rate monitor made by Medion (45-50 dollars from
    memory) from Aldi of all places. Whilst it doesnt have all the wizz ban
    features of say the more advances versions of the "Polar" heart rate
    monitors, it does give you some features such as setting training ranges,
    training stopwatch mode, lap time mode, lap time memory as well as those
    more ubiqtuous features such as average heartrate and "supposive" calorie
    consumption.

    Having said all that, i have no idea where else they mabe be sold, although
    there is a website www.medion.com

    Cheers.

    Jason

  6. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    User defined, presumably you can set it to beep if you aren't dead.
    Much more useful.

  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "chesty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've been googling for info on cheap heart rate monitors without much
    > success. Does anyone have any comments on gpulse, or other cheap
    > HRM's? gpulse seem to be going for around $60 on ebay, cheap if it
    > works OK, expensive if it's no good. It's more of a interesting toy
    > for me, rather than a serious training device, I can't justify
    > spending $700 on one regardless of how much I'd love to have it ;)

    Sigma Sport are relatively cheap & a globally known brand available here :

    http://store.yahoo.com/idealcycles/fitness.html

    http://www.sigmasport.com/index_eos.html

    [email protected] Ideal

  8. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    chesty wrote:

    > I've been googling for info on cheap heart rate monitors without much
    > success. Does anyone have any comments on gpulse, or other cheap
    > HRM's? gpulse seem to be going for around $60 on ebay, cheap if it
    > works OK, expensive if it's no good. It's more of a interesting toy
    > for me, rather than a serious training device, I can't justify
    > spending $700 on one regardless of how much I'd love to have it ;)

    You can get HRMs much cheaper OS than you can in Australia for some
    reason, I've got a brother in HK and he sent me one for Christmas a few
    years ago, and it worked out to about half the price it would cost in
    Oz.

  9. Myrmecia

    Myrmecia Guest

    ritcho wrote:

    > I suppose it depends on what you mean by cheap. Paraphrasing Homer
    > Simpson, you might ask for the "best, second-cheapest" HRM on offer.
    > Around $100-$200 range in the major brands should give you something
    > that fits your needs.

    I have had a few heart rate monitors over the past 10 years and the one
    I bought from Polar 10 years ago (the Sport Tester) is the one I use
    most. The others I bought when the Sport Tester was away being
    serviced or for my wife.

    Pursuit Performance, the Australian agents for Polar, are offering
    superseded lines now at a huge discount. The Polar vantage used to
    sell for $849 but is now going for $250. Jeez, I almost wish my
    10-year old HRM finally died on me.
    They have others, too, that they are almost giving away.

    Keith

  10. malcomm

    malcomm New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    Comes down to what features you want.
    I started with a cheapy and quickly realised that min/max recorder data would be nice. Then learnt about heart rate zone training...
    Quickly wound up spending a couple of hundred on a Sports Instruments PRO9.

    cheers

  11. On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:58:55 +1100, malcomm wrote:

    > Comes down to what features you want.
    > I started with a cheapy and quickly realised that min/max recorder
    > data would be nice. Then learnt about heart rate zone training...
    > Quickly wound up spending a couple of hundred on a Sports Instruments
    > PRO9.

    I bought a cheap HRM on ebay a while ago (GPulse brand), and it doesn't
    like overhead power lines, which unfortunately are prevalent in Adelaide.
    Do well-known brands like Polar suffer from this problem? They cost a
    /lot/ more for the same features.

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo