Cheap HRM Availability

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Everett, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    Many years ago I equipped one of my first bikes with a Vetta HR1000. These early units developed a
    terrible reputation, not only because the transmitter straps leaked sweat but because a firmware
    glitch caused the heads to "lock up" occasionally.

    Vetta got their supplier to improve the transmitter seals, but the die was cast and they eventually
    replaced the HR1000 with (IIRC) the HR50.

    I figured out how to prevent the locking up problem; and with improved transmitters (and other
    brands transmitters that were compatible) I eventually equipped three of my bikes with HR1000s. A
    couple of these have been working for over ten years.

    Then several years ago SuperGo introduced their HRM1000, a rebadged HR1000. The only difference, the
    colors of the buttons changed. Best part, they sold these as cheap as $29.95(US). I now have these
    on two of my bikes.

    Last summer I noticed that the HRM1000 had disappeared from the SuperGo web site/catalog. An inquiry
    got this response, "Thanks for your question. It has been removed from our site because it has been
    discontinued ,we can no longer get this model from our supplier in Taiwan(same co. as Vetta got
    their's from) We are selling the HRM2000 model only."

    Does anyone (particularly anyone in the industry) know if anyone else is now OEMing these HRMs? It
    would be a shame if these really cost efffective (and pretty bullet-proof) units were no longer
    available anywhere.

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Like every other product produced and sold in America, they decided to 'upgrade' and 're-design' the original model making it obsolete so they can sell the new one for more $$$...

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:21:31 -0500, Alex Rodriguez
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Check out http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=118702 . I would go sooner rather than later
    >because at that price they will probably sell out quickly.

    Indeed. They're all gone now. I think your post was four hours ago...

    Drat, that was cheap, too.
    --
    Rick Onanian