Cheap Lights - Rebel Sport

SteveA

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
1,309
I was in Rebel Sport at Morely (Perth) at lunchtime. They were getting rid of their NiteFlux VisionStick range.

I've been meaning to get some spare parts from my LBS, eg globes, batteries, extra battery brackets for other bikes etc

No need to, not now.

I picked up a '5.5' kit (RRP $169) for $55 - single 5 watt light, NiMH batt, bar & helmet brackets, battery bracket, charger, lead and roll-up pouch. (the f**king battery lists for $70!!)

And a '20' kit (RRP $299) for $175 - 15 watt and 5 watt light, 2 NiMH batts, bar & helmet brackets, battery bracket, chargers, leads and roll-up pouch.

The girl that served me said that Rebel was not going to stock them any more so they were discounting them to get rid of them.

If you are looking for these lights or spare parts, a visit to your local Rebel Sports could be profitable.

Steve(I have seen the light)A

"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was in Rebel Sport at Morely (Perth) at lunchtime. They were getting
> rid of their NiteFlux VisionStick range.
>
> I've been meaning to get some spare parts from my LBS, eg globes,
> batteries, extra battery brackets for other bikes etc
>
> No need to, not now.
>
> I picked up a '5.5' kit (RRP $169) for $55 - single 5 watt light, NiMH
> batt, bar & helmet brackets, battery bracket, charger, lead and roll-up
> pouch. (the f**king battery lists for $70!!)
>
> And a '20' kit (RRP $299) for $175 - 15 watt and 5 watt light, 2 NiMH
> batts, bar & helmet brackets, battery bracket, chargers, leads and
> roll-up pouch.
>
> The girl that served me said that Rebel was not going to stock them any
> more so they were discounting them to get rid of them.
>
> If you are looking for these lights or spare parts, a visit to your
> local Rebel Sports could be profitable.
>

> Steve(I have seen the light)A

I know where I'm going on the way to work tomorrow!!!

I have to correct yesterday's post. I checked the receipt today. Rebel took an additional 50% off the lights so I got the VisionStick 5.5 for $27.50 and the VisionStick 20 for $87.50.

They also had Vistalight NightSticks in the disposal pile - mostly low end of the range stuff IIRC.

Do they know something about these lights that I don't know? Or are they just not bought by the demographic that Rebel serves, and therefore no longer to be stocked?

SteveA

Steve you got lucky. I phoned them and they did not have any - only the
VisionStick 5 for $60. Must have all gone yesterday, or is someone
crapping me? I got them to post me a VS5.

Donga

SteveA wrote:

> Do they know something about these lights that I don't know? Or are
> they just not bought by the demographic that Rebel serves, and
> therefore no longer to be stocked?

The Myaree store didn't have this sale although they've moved the bike
gear for the third time in as many months, not necessarily. a sign that
they are changing their stocks or focus. I find the same sort of
'bargains' happen within the big franchises, 'Office Works' being
another that often does this sale plus discount at the till, store by
store only. You got lucky.

SteveA wrote:

> Do they know something about these lights that I don't know? Or are
> they just not bought by the demographic that Rebel serves, and
> therefore no longer to be stocked?

Might not have the turnover that Rebel requires.

Donga said:
Steve you got lucky. I phoned them and they did not have any - only the
VisionStick 5 for $60. Must have all gone yesterday, or is someone
crapping me? I got them to post me a VS5.

Donga
VS5 for $60 is still not bad value - NiteFlux site shows RRP of $129.95.

When I got mine it looked like the last of the stock was on the floor and there was not very much of it at that. I posted because other people may have been able to share my luck at another Rebel branch. And there were still a few bits and pieces of treasure after I had had my pick at the Myaree shop.

Absent Husband (I think) posted in another thread that Rebel had cheap carbon soled shoes at the moment (around $100 if my memory is not completely shot). Not one cycle shoe at their Myaree store and when I asked, they said that the Cannington store was the only one that stocked cycle shoes, and had just received 300 pairs. Absolutely certain. Guaranteed.

I was in Cannington today and looked in on Rebel. They had about 30 pairs of Pearl Izumi shoes. I asked and was told that that was it. And full price too. Vipers with carbon soles were $299.

Rebel seem to have gone steadily down market, despite their recent advertising in the cycling press. The Cannington shop used to sell Park Tools at the usual Park Tool price. Then they decided not to sell them any more. Out onto the bargain table they went. All about half price. I grabbed a few bits and pieces (the Minister for Finance knows what blue handles on bike tools add to their price, and we were in a low expenditure phase of the A family economy so I was selective in what I bought).

I think I'll have to check Rebel on a more regular basis, although I can't think of anything much they currently have that I would buy when they decide to put it on the throw-out table. Except for a pair of carbon sole Pearl Izumi Vipers when they discover that their target demographic does not buy $299 cycling shoes. And they sell them for $50.

SteveA

SteveA wrote:

> VS5 for $60 is still not bad value - NiteFlux site shows RRP of
> $129.95.

Yep, I'm happy, as is my mate who picked one up too. Thanks for the tip
Steve!

BTW Dean Woods has VS5 for $95, so RRP is not much of a guide!

My local Rebel (Brisbane) was not discounting Niteflux - said all the
stores run fairly independently except on the catalogue.

Donga

SteveA wrote:

> VS5 for $60 is still not bad value - NiteFlux site shows RRP of
> $129.95.

Yep, I'm happy, as is my mate who picked one up too. Thanks for the tip
Steve!

BTW Dean Woods has VS5 for $95, so RRP is not much of a guide!

My local Rebel (Brisbane) was not discounting Niteflux - said all the
stores run fairly independently except on the catalogue.

Donga

Yeah, I've noticed (especially lately) that they don't operate as a
'chain' so much anymore.

Apart from the advertised specials, my two nearest Rebel stores (Garden
City & Brisbane CBD) often have different things on special, and stock
quite different items.....

The GC store still had some cheap Go-on Sport CF-soled road shoes,
whereas the Brissie CBD one had none at all - only Pearl Izumi
stuff.....

Oh well, gives me an excuse to roam through the bike sections every
couple of weeks and trawl for bargains!!

Cheers all,
Abby

SteveA said:
Absent Husband (I think) posted in another thread that Rebel had cheap carbon soled shoes at the moment (around $100 if my memory is not completely shot).
Rebel (depending on the store) stock the Go-On range of shoes:
http://rebelsport.com.au/?action=search&searchtext=shoes&searchcat=11&searchbrand=

Some of these seem the same (apart from colour differences) to the Exustar range that http://www.torpedo7.com/ stock, eg Exustar E-SR920 ($NZ69) = Go-On Latte ($AUS139), Exustar E-SM301 ($NZ99) = Go-On Podium ($AUS89).

roshea said:
Rebel (depending on the store) stock the Go-On range of shoes:
http://rebelsport.com.au/?action=search&searchtext=shoes&searchcat=11&searchbrand=

Some of these seem the same (apart from colour differences) to the Exustar range that http://www.torpedo7.com/ stock, eg Exustar E-SR920 ($NZ69) = Go-On Latte ($AUS139), Exustar E-SM301 ($NZ99) = Go-On Podium ($AUS89).

Has anyone tried the GO-ON clipless sandals? not as expensive as the shimano brand sandals. I saw them in the blacktown (Sydney) Rebel store at the start of this year for about $80

Mike