Cheap lights

Tom Crispin

Guest
The excellent Infini Apollo carrier light has now been reduced to
£3.99 from Chain Reaction.

To fit this light you will need a rear pannier rack on your bike with
light mounting holes drilled between 50 and 80mm apart.

The light is bright with 5 LEDs, two facing sideways, and a large
reflector. It has a pathetic 'auto' mode which is supposed to switch
the light on automatically in low light conditions and when the light
also detects movements. However, if the light is accidentally left on
in the 'auto' mode, which is easy to do, the two AA batteries,
included, will drain within 48 hours. In 'auto' mode, the light will
automatically go off after 2 minutes with a car's headlights on it.

This is a fit and forget light. It would be awkward for a thief to
remove. Fitting is simple but a fiddle with two bolts to fasten from
behind the rack.

On 6 Mar, 07:03, Tom Crispin <[email protected]>
wrote:
> The excellent Infini Apollo carrier light has now been reduced to
> £3.99 from Chain Reaction.
>
> To fit this light you will need a rear pannier rack on your bike with
> light mounting holes drilled between 50 and 80mm apart.
>
> The light is bright with 5 LEDs, two facing sideways, and a large
> reflector.  It has a pathetic 'auto' mode which is supposed to switch
> the light on automatically in low light conditions and when the light
> also detects movements.  However, if the light is accidentally left on
> in the 'auto' mode, which is easy to do, the two AA batteries,
> included, will drain within 48 hours.  In 'auto' mode, the light will
> automatically go off after 2 minutes with a car's headlights on it.
>
> This is a fit and forget light.  It would be awkward for a thief to
> remove.  Fitting is simple but a fiddle with two bolts to fasten from
> behind the rack.

You know the cheap discount homeware store "Wilkinsons"? I think
that's what they're called. They were doing clip on rear lights for
rucksacks and panniers for two of your earth pounds. Fit and forget.

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The excellent Infini Apollo carrier light has now been reduced to
> £3.99 from Chain Reaction.
>
> To fit this light you will need a rear pannier rack on your bike with
> light mounting holes drilled between 50 and 80mm apart.
>
> The light is bright with 5 LEDs, two facing sideways, and a large
> reflector. It has a pathetic 'auto' mode which is supposed to switch
> the light on automatically in low light conditions and when the light
> also detects movements. However, if the light is accidentally left on
> in the 'auto' mode, which is easy to do, the two AA batteries,
> included, will drain within 48 hours. In 'auto' mode, the light will
> automatically go off after 2 minutes with a car's headlights on it.
>
> This is a fit and forget light. It would be awkward for a thief to
> remove. Fitting is simple but a fiddle with two bolts to fasten from
> behind the rack.

That sounds good. I'll just pop on to Wiggle to see if they have then cheaper!
:-}

Ooops!
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Tom Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:
> The excellent Infini Apollo carrier light has now been reduced to
> £3.99 from Chain Reaction.
>
> To fit this light you will need a rear pannier rack on your bike
> with
> light mounting holes drilled between 50 and 80mm apart.
>
> The light is bright with 5 LEDs, two facing sideways, and a large
> reflector. It has a pathetic 'auto' mode which is supposed to
> switch
> the light on automatically in low light conditions and when the
> light
> also detects movements. However, if the light is accidentally left
> on
> in the 'auto' mode, which is easy to do, the two AA batteries,
> included, will drain within 48 hours. In 'auto' mode, the light
> will
> automatically go off after 2 minutes with a car's headlights on it.

Is it waterproof? IME that is often a weak point with battery powered
lights. After a while you notice condensation inside the light and
then it just shorts out and won't work or stays on permanently.
I now have two SMART backlights in use in all weathers for nearly a
year and they are still working fine. (Auto setting works OK too.)

--

Geoff

"spindrift" <[email protected]> wrote
You know the cheap discount homeware store "Wilkinsons"? I think
that's what they're called. They were doing clip on rear lights for
rucksacks and panniers for two of your earth pounds. Fit and forget.

I'm a fan of those. They're bright and daughter #2 has been using them for
a couple of years with no problems. I've had a red one on the back of my
plastic hat for commuting all winter on sequential flash mode and haven't
even needed to change the batteries yet.